Moparts

Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE

Posted By: Dixie

Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 09/19/11 04:05 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm excited to announce that after 24 years, I'm finally starting the restoration of a car I bought back in 1987. Lots of cars have come and gone since then, but I've kept this one through the years. We have shared a lot of blood, sweat, and tears together. It's a 69 Charger R/T SE, 440, 4-spd, R6 red with white top and tail stripe. Black interior. Kinda rare combo for a Charger.

I first saw this car driving down the road and the owner hammering it. It was Red, primer, rust and Green. I thought, "What a pile". Later there was an ad in the local paper for a Charger for $500. I went to look at the car and it was the same car. It still had the Dana and for $500, I thought it would make a good parts car for another car I had.

The owner of the R6 car said he had smoked the clutch. I wanted it for the Dana, so I really didn't care about much else. As I walked down the length of the car looking at the bondoed up quarters, something caught my eye. The sail panel had 2 small holes close together. Could this be an SE? Yes, the owner said he had the emblems in a bag in the house. This was a R/T SE 4spd, R6 Red car. I knew it was something special and decided to buy it. I told the owner I'd be back the next day with the cash. Can you guess what happened?

Yep, I was beat to punch. Someone else bought it. A few months later I was sitting at a gas station and an older guy who looked like the main character in Sling Blade approached me while I was in another Charger I had, and started asking questions. He said he had one like mine only Red. This happened a lot and typically didn't pan out, so I thought, "sure you do". Still, he seemed to know about cars and asked about parts. I got his name and number and said I'd see what I could find.

Turns out he was a distant relative. I got a kick out of that one. He and his brother were big Mopar guys from back in the "day". His brother had (and the family still has) a 69 GTX he bought new. Several months later, either he called me or I called him about buying the car. Can't remember which now, but I bought the car for $900 with a ton of parts. Sold off most of the parts like an idiot a year later. The car sat untouched for a couple years while I finished college. Then, I sent it to a buddy of mine to build the engine. Three attempted engine builds and several years later I got the call to come get it.

It's a long story, but basically the car sat neglected for the better part of 10 years while I played with other cars. My buddy that was building the engine piddled with it in his spare time and something would always go wrong in the engine build to prevent me from picking it up. Like the 400 flywheel on the 440. My buddy didn’t bother to check prior to putting it in the car. Can you say, "beat the bearings out of itself?" Then there was the Mopar 509 cam that self destructed, and the Crane adjusters for the pushrods that would just snap. Anyways along about late 1996, I picked the car up and took it home. 3 engine builds later, it ran ok.

Shortly after getting it home, I did a title search through my home state of Tennessee. I got a record of every owner, including the original owners name, address, and MRO for the car along with the bill of sale submitted to the state. It is a bunch of great info. I could not reach any of the previous owners (20 or more) except for the original owner. He still lived at the same address and had the same phone number. He remembered the car and told me he had ordered it optioned the way it was for racing. He originally ordered it F8 and went back and changed it to R6. Whew ! Good move dude !

He said he street raced it and was very successful along with a friend who had a 70 440-6 Cuda. After an engine fire (which he suspects was sabotage from a sore loser) he traded the car on a Roadrunner. He said he always missed the car. Unfortunately, he had no pics or parts left over from the car as he'd had a house fire some years before and lost everything. I hope the guy is still alive, I need to make the time to go meet him. He bought the car new at Burgin Dodge in Knoxville, TN. and lived South of there in Tallassee, TN.

Anyway, back to the car. I have had it back in my possession since 1996. I am finally ready to begin the restoration, 24 years after I first bought the car. As a side note, I did have the car at my wedding along with some Mopars of my friends. As you look at the link with photos, I first found her multi-colored. When I got married, I sanded and primered her in Flat Black. It rained the day of our wedding and the fresh paint in the rain actually looks good. LOL. Today the paint doesn't look so good. Time has not been so good to the primer. LOL.

Here is a link to the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixierestorationparts/

I'll try and keep this post, the dodgecharger.com site and the flickr site updated with photos as the restoration progresses, and hope to add a section to our own website. I'm a working stiff like most of you, so this won't be a big money OE restoration. I am going to try and build it as correct as possible using a mixture of original, NOS and repro parts I have. My plan is to show it for a couple of years and then DRIVE IT!

Of course, any big name parts vendors reading this that want to donate to the project will be much appreciated. LOL.

Attached picture 6832373-driverside2cropped.jpg
Posted By: mdwyer

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 09/19/11 05:10 PM

Randy you really are slower than me when it comes to restorations mine only take about 10 years.

good luck with it and call if you need anything.

mike

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 09/20/11 01:13 AM

LOL. Thanks dude !
Posted By: RagtopChallenger

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 09/20/11 10:49 AM

It's NEVER too late! I have owned my A66 Challenger Convert since December of 1971 and have not restored it yet. In fact it has not seen sunlight this century......
Great story on the car and am looking forward to see your photos!

Rusty
Posted By: SeventySatellite

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 09/20/11 08:06 PM

That R6 Red with the white is going to look sharp.

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 09/20/11 11:39 PM

Thanks Guys. Wow, owned that Challenger since '71. That's impressive !!

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/02/11 06:54 PM

Found these Andretti mufflers on the car. The last time the car ran was about 5 years ago, and they still sounded good at that time. Typical turbo muffler sound.

Never heard of these, don't know how old they are. I got the car in '87 and they looked old then. There is a c-5 on the muffler, maybe that means 1975?

Attached picture 6852647-andrettimufflers.jpg

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/02/11 07:01 PM

Original fuel tank pad.

Attached picture 6852656-R6Chargerpics015.JPG

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/06/11 04:34 AM

My car had period correct exhaust tips on it for a GTX. I pulled one of them out of the tail pipe tonight. Looks to be in good shape. I have posted a pic of it below. You can see how it is made different from the reproductions. Note the metal hanging tab runs down into the tip and is not just welded on top. You can see it bent up along the top inside the tip. Don't know why they would go to so much trouble to make it like that instead of just welding it on top like they do today. Anyone know? Luckily I have some correct Charger ones I picked up many moons ago. I'm told today's gas will eat the chrome up.

Hopefully, it'll make it a couple of years before that happens.

Attached picture 6858388-exhausttip.jpg

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/06/11 04:35 AM

Inside.

Attached picture 6858390-exhausttip2.jpg
Posted By: cmansell

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/06/11 02:58 PM

Is your car now at Douglasville for a little R+R ?

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/10/11 02:38 AM

New Pics uploaded here:

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 06/17/12 04:17 AM

I loaded a bunch more pics tonight if you want to check them out. They are from a few months ago. I should get some more current pics loaded this coming week.

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 02/23/14 06:28 PM

I've been slow posting pics, but here are a few more I added this morning.

Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 02/23/14 06:35 PM

That's going to be a super nice paint combo!
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 02/23/14 07:30 PM

Great options.

Sheldon
Posted By: dan9

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 02/24/14 05:22 PM

What a nice project/color combo. Just curious what comes with the SE package on a Charger?
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 02/24/14 05:49 PM

Quote:

What a nice project/color combo. Just curious what comes with the SE package on a Charger?

Here is info from the dealer data books at hamtramck-historical.com.

Trivia note: The SE package did not stay the exact same from '69 to '70. One change was that the "light group" was added to the SE option for 1970.

1969 dealer data book

1970 dealer data book

Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 02/24/14 07:01 PM

You know, as much a I love my 71 RR, every time I look at a 68-69 Charger I see a new crease or line I hadn't before. Those cars were something special. I liked the bright colored ones with the white stripe, and top. Makes them look clean, and crisp.

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 02/22/15 04:45 AM

Well, I started this 4 years ago and am still working on it. My body shop has worked on it off and on in between other cars. Which is fine, I agreed to it. It's finally getting close to being painted.

Unfortunately the body shop lost many of the pics of the body restoration. They recently sent me some recent ones which I added to my flickr account.

You can see them there along with some of the first pics of the car.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dixierestorationparts/

I wish I could say I'd spent this time wisely and had all the sub assemblies ready to go, but no such luck. I did do a few, but still have a lot of work to do before reassembly.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics.
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 02/22/15 12:24 PM

Nice car,,,,,,,

I have a 69 Charger RT / SE 440 4 speed Dana car as well,,,,
Mine is supposed to triple green, stripe delete,,,,will restore someday,,,, currently triple black,,,,,,,,good luck with yours,,,great story on your car,,,,,

Doug

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 02/22/15 05:47 PM

Quote:

Nice car,,,,,,,

I have a 69 Charger RT / SE 440 4 speed Dana car as well,,,,
Mine is supposed to triple green, stripe delete,,,,will restore someday,,,, currently triple black,,,,,,,,good luck with yours,,,great story on your car,,,,,

Doug

Thanks Doug! Btw, I also have another one that sounds like a twin to yours. It's an R/T SE Trak Pak car. F3, stripe delete. I've had it since High School and plan to restore it after the Red one. Although, it'll be restored as a driver. Attached is a pic of it way back in 1983 at the Charlotte MMCI show. First car show I ever went to. Drove over from TN the day after my Senior Prom. Yeah, my prom was that boring.

The Triple Black is a much better color combo.

Attached picture 8437348-69Chargercharlotte1983.jpg

UPDATE Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/10/15 02:17 AM

Well, she's finally painted. Pretty happy with the results. Now the fun/hard part starts, I have to reassemble. The pics aren't that great as they are from my phone and the booth was kinda dark. But you get the idea. I'm picking it up Sunday and I'll take some when she's in my garage. I'm pretty excited. Bought her way back in 1987, originally intended as a "donor" for my Green one. Then when I was looking her over, I realized what she was. Score!

Attached picture WP_20151009_014.jpg
Attached picture WP_20151009_012.jpg
Posted By: NANKET

Re: UPDATE Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/10/15 06:13 AM

Looks great, really like the R6 / white colors. glad you saved the car!

Re: UPDATE Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/10/15 03:02 PM

Thanks! I'm pretty excited obviously. Just hope I can put her back together before I'm too old and gray to enjoy her.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: UPDATE Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/10/15 03:32 PM

Very nice!

Re: UPDATE Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/12/15 02:07 AM

Made it home safely today with the car. She's tucked in the garage now. Some guy in a new 'vette cut in front of me and the car in front of me in a merge lane barely making it. Luckily I saw him coming up at a high rate of speed in my side view mirror, so I moved over and slowed down. As the famous philosopher Bugs Bunny would say, "What a Maroon."

Attached picture WP_20151011_002.jpg
Attached picture WP_20151011_003.jpg

Re: UPDATE Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/12/15 02:10 AM

Last ones.

Attached picture WP_20151011_007.jpg
Attached picture WP_20151011_010.jpg
Attached picture WP_20151011_008.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/12/15 06:58 PM

Just to wet your whistle....

Here's a pic of a R6 440-4 with red interior in So Cal that comes to Spring/Fall Fling.

Attached picture IMG_2422.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2424.JPG

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/14/15 03:00 AM

Sweet!
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/14/15 04:05 AM

Awesome, although the red interior might be a little much, I like the black much better.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/15/15 01:27 AM

Well your past the hard part. Now it's smooth sailing.
Posted By: streaker

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/15/15 06:58 AM

That looks great. Now is not the time to slow down.
Git'er done. I can't wait to see her finished.
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/22/15 01:56 AM

Congrats !!
Looks great,,,,,

Re: Starting the restoration of my R6 1969 Charger R/T SE - 10/22/15 02:44 AM

up

Thanks for the compliments guys!
© 2024 Moparts Forums