Moparts

preserving 45 year old vinyl???

Posted By: azmopar

preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/07/11 09:50 PM

i just bought a parts car form Canada(im in AZ) and it has a perfect dash pad and most of the vinyl interior is useable for my pilot car. need to know how to preserve the pad(keep it squishy). az sun really dries this stuff out quickly.

any thoughts or ideas, proven methods?
ive heard armor all is bad has silicone in it and it actually will accelerate the procsss.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/07/11 10:28 PM

Don't park it in the blazing sun ?
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/07/11 11:03 PM

Anything with a sunblock. I know armorall has UV protectant, and I know you can buy some 3M products that are a UV coating/protectant, but you have to reapply it regularly. Cant spell, sorry

Kasey
Posted By: az426john

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 12:31 AM

To start with I would take what I can off the car and bring it in the air conditioned house.

Then find a product that will keep it moist and lubricated, Your right about armorall...don't use it.

Depending where you are in AZ there are a lot of really great guys here that know a lot detailing and keeping vinal from deteriorating.
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 02:03 AM

If I remember correctly someone on here used petrolium jelly. Apply liberally, rub it in, let it sit for ??? and wipe off excess.
Makes sense, both being petrolium based.
Posted By: MattMPA

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 02:10 AM

There's only one product recommended by vinyl makers for protection. 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's the best for preservation.

I would avoid any silicone based products, whether they have UV block or not. Again...look into 303.

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 06:25 AM

Quote:

To start with I would take what I can off the car and bring it in the air conditioned house.

Then find a product that will keep it moist and lubricated, Your right about armorall...don't use it.

Depending where you are in AZ there are a lot of really great guys here that know a lot detailing and keeping vinal from deteriorating.

west valley, anmd JohnRR all of az has blazing sun!!! lol
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 06:38 AM

its not the heat, its the lack of humidity
Posted By: 68X426

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 06:52 AM

Quote:

There's only one product recommended by vinyl makers for protection. 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's the best for preservation.

I would avoid any silicone based products, whether they have UV block or not. Again...look into 303.

I will strongly second the recommendation for 303. http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/1/303-aerospace-protectant.cfm

We use it on our kayaks. A kayak gets pounded by sun and UV rays at 8000 foot elevation, and 303 is the only protectant that works. I use it for everthing on my cars.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 03:03 PM

68x426, in your icon, what does your dog have in his mouth?
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 03:12 PM

Quote:

If I remember correctly someone on here used petrolium jelly. Apply liberally, rub it in, let it sit for ??? and wipe off excess.
Makes sense, both being petrolium based.

I've used it three lightly faded original dash pads with great results.

Posted By: Aero426

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 04:09 PM

I bought some 303 and though it may protect the vinyl, it did not make it look any better.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/08/11 08:46 PM

Posted By: silent-H-wheel

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/09/11 04:42 PM

I recommend Meguiar's #57 Rubber, Vinyl, Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. It has UV protectant in it. I used if for years on my boat vinyl. If anything gets a beating by UV rays, it's boat interiors. Meguiar's #57 is not easy to find. Only certain boating supply stores have it. I get it at Boat US or West Marine.

Attached picture 6818146-101-0195_IMG.JPG
Posted By: A990

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/10/11 01:14 AM

303 hands down. It works best when applied regularly; the first application isn't going to look that great. It takes time to really work to the fullest. I use it on our inflatable pontoon boats too.

Mequires 57 sounds interesting, I'll look into it.

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/14/11 09:16 PM

OK FOUND THE 330!!! thanks for all the recomendations!! tough to find too finally found it at of all places Camping World. called around to the typical auto parts places and no one had ever heard of this stufff.
Posted By: A12

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/14/11 11:03 PM

http://www.wheretobuy303.com/

My area shows mostly marine retail stores heading there when I get a chance, thanks!

MikeR
Posted By: Dennis_K

Re: preserving 45 year old vinyl??? - 09/16/11 12:16 PM

Glad to hear you found the Aerospace 303 protectant. Thats what I used on my Charger. What I like most about it is that it doesn't make everything slippery or shiny. I found it at my local Ace hardware store.
© 2024 Moparts Forums