Moparts

Cuda headliner ID

Posted By: UCUDANT

Cuda headliner ID - 09/07/11 04:02 AM

I have a hamtramck built 72 Cuda built in late 71. I ordered my top and it's not a match. Did my car come with a 71 headliner? Pic shows the headliner from the car on top (original...I don't know) and the repop on the bottom

Attached picture 6814473-DSCF0549.JPG

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/07/11 04:03 AM

My sail panels did not have any material on them but were just the smooth black sail panel
Posted By: 19cuda73

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/07/11 04:40 AM

Mine looks like the one on the bottom. My headliner kit came with extra material for covering the sail panels. If you do this use a good glue contact cement. The spray glue I used had to be redone thats not fun.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/07/11 05:26 AM

The top material in your picture is called Yorkshire. I knew 73-74 Cudas and Challengers used it but I wasn't sure about 72.

If you want to order a headliner made from the 100% correct material, your going to have to get it from SMS. It's going to cost you around $280. If you ask them for a sample, they will send one to you. Their sample was a perfect match to the headliner in my 73.

I got my headliner from Dante's Parts. It's not 100% correct(it's thicker material then original) but it looks correct when installed. It cost about half of what SMS wants for theirs.

It installs very easily and doesn't get wrinkles in it like the perforated material does.

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/07/11 12:00 PM

Cool Thanks great info, how about your sail panels?

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/07/11 02:56 PM

Challengers don't use sail panels. So I don't know how those were finished.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/07/11 08:10 PM

Quote:

Cool Thanks great info, how about your sail panels?

Sail panels are done with the either the extra material or can be ordered as well.
As he said, SMS has the proper material and it is pricey. Dantes, Legendary and others have the right material in black only.
I will be ordering one soon. The Legendary in mine is not proper (no worries, it is not a show car) but it was previously installed before the car was painted. Reinstalling did not work, unless you get it exactly the same way it was installed before, the material needs to stretch in different directions than it "learned" the first time. Mine is all lumpy, wrinkled and has an extra hole for the dome light. I will get the SMS one later. Nice winter project.
Craig

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/07/11 09:02 PM

I am trying to determine if what I have is correct/original for this car

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/08/11 03:07 AM

Can you post an up close shot of the headliner fabric?

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/08/11 03:31 AM

Quote:

Can you post an up close shot of the headliner fabric?

Here is the wrong stuff. I do not have a picture of the sample of the right stuff. I will have to look for the sample and get a picture of it later.

Attached picture 6815979-HeadlinerCloseup.JPG

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/08/11 04:18 AM

I can try to find the sample SMS sent me. I've also got some extra material from the headliner I got from Dante. PM me your address and I'll send the samples to you.

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/08/11 05:28 AM

Man you guys are killing me I never noticed that there is a difference in the headliner I installed versus the the one that was in the car. Went back and checked out my old pictures and low and behold it has the other material.

Attached picture 6816158-100_0833.jpg

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/08/11 12:06 PM

Dennis were your sail panels merely black fiber board, or covered in the material?

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/08/11 04:10 PM

My sail panels are a heavy cardboard material i believe they were from yearone. those pieces came with the car when I bought it, along with the headliner kit. I still have the original sailboards too they were pretty beat up and they did not have any material on them. The headliner kit had some extra material for the panels so i used it to recover them. Dennis

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/09/11 12:48 AM

Quote:

and they did not have any material on them

That's what I wanted to hear...Thanks. Now it'd be interesing to know how to determine what headliner each car came with via a certain option(s) on the data tag since I can't find a build sheet. Thanks to a member I have a factory document that shows my Red Cuda with the G36 color keyed mirrors would also have a color keyed grille. I like the idea of thicker material on the headliner too, need to see Dantes material.
Dennis need a pic of the screw on window channel trim clip?

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/09/11 03:33 AM

As far as I know, all 73-74 Challengers and Cudas came with the Yorkshire material. I don't know about 72. The picture you posted shows that your car had a Yorkshire headliner in it at one time. I highly doubt it was replaced. If it was replaced at some point, I would think the more readily available perforated material would have been used.

I found both the SMS sample and the sample I got from Dante. They'll go out in the morning.

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/09/11 03:51 AM

Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/09/11 10:43 PM

Fascinating! I hadn't noticed this before, which is surprising for such a large part of the car. Thanks for the info! I'll have to keep my eyes open in the future.

Tav

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/25/11 04:06 PM

Thought I had better come back and add this to this post. I'm have a hard time with this. I like the straight up black color of the other headliner. And a company charging that much more makes me feel abused....

I)Original yorkshire headliner Material
II)SMS material
III)Dantes material

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/26/11 02:03 AM

Dante's material looks a lot different in your picture because you have it running perpendicular to the original material. It's thicker then the original material and looks a little different side by side. Once it's installed, it looks pretty close.

Unless your having the car OE judged, use the money you saved by not buying the SMS headliner,and finish another area.

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/27/11 06:42 PM

Debating installing the perforated headliner. It turns me off that they want to charge me that much, and I am a stickler for doing it correctly.

I would like to know if this headliner was part of a certain package? I have no doubt it's origonal. My car was coded for a factory console, has a woodgrain oplique on the non rallye cluster (told this was 70 only though?) The car had several mods when I got it and no telling what someone did.

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/27/11 08:00 PM

I think the factory just changed the headliners in 72. Performance was down so they needed to do something to make the cars seem more upscale. I think the Yorkshire material was the only material used. Maybe there was a change-over date...maybe the early cars still used the old style.

The newer material was in your car when you took it apart so that's what I'd go with. Dante's headliner looks correct when installed and it is half the price of the SMS one.

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/29/11 01:34 AM

Oops I did post the wrong pic I flipped the material over. I ordered one from Dante today.
II)SMS material
III)Dantes material

After the chrome guy decided to gouge me I'm done being defiled, those companies overcharging need to get real or go out of business. bumper chrome $300... bumperettes $100

Attached picture 6846973-DSCF0649.JPG

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/29/11 03:04 AM

Quote:

Oops I did post the wrong pic I flipped the material over. I ordered one from Dante today.
II)SMS material
III)Dantes material

After the chrome guy decided to gouge me I'm done being defiled, those companies overcharging need to get real or go out of business. bumper chrome $300... bumperettes $100

Is that for one? Denver Bumper is 200 per bumper with no repair. I did not get a price on the bumperettes.
Craig

Re: Cuda headliner ID - 09/29/11 03:30 AM

A year or two ago I got a quote from Tri-City for the large bumper guards on my 73. They get $60 each for those. That's not bad considering I had to pay $50 to have my original antenna bezel rechromed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums