Moparts

Can You Still Buy Galvanized Spangle Finish Metal ??

Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Can You Still Buy Galvanized Spangle Finish Metal ?? - 08/21/11 11:20 PM

I am looking to see if there is any where you can still buy a sheet (approx 60"x12") of flat galvanized metal that has the "spangle" finish.You know like on the old metal pails and numberous auto parts.I thought I read one time that this process is no longer done in the states because of EPA but is still available in Canada.Can any one give me some leads or maybe someone can sell me some.I am looking at trying to make a part that originally had this finish.Thanks !!
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Can You Still Buy Galvanized Spangle Finish Metal ?? - 08/22/11 12:01 AM

There's two type of galvanizing done, hot dip and electro-galvanize. Either method will produce the spangle finish which is more dependent upon the chemistry of the steel than the process. Here's a little light reading on the subject.

Small orders are sometimes difficult. Have you checked your local steel warehouses? Around here we have two that cater to the public, Norton metals and Metals Supermarket.

Robert
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: Can You Still Buy Galvanized Spangle Finish Metal ?? - 08/22/11 01:24 AM

Thanks for the info and link.The type of finish I am looking for is the more defined "flake" pattern as I think the dip galvanizing process comes out thicker and not as smooth.Do your local sources offer this finish in sheet form do you know? Thanks !!
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Can You Still Buy Galvanized Spangle Finish Metal ?? - 08/22/11 03:48 PM

We do very little with sheet metal and even less with galv. sheet metal. In addition to local steel warehouses you could also try steel service centers.

Robert
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Can You Still Buy Galvanized Spangle Finish Metal ?? - 08/22/11 04:39 PM

I won't get into the chemistry of the issue, but the short answer is that the previous poster is correct; you can get spangle either way. I buy about 10,000 sheets of galvanized metal a year and some has spangle (in varying sizes) and some does not. Even the largest spangle we get now isn't quite as big as the stuff from 30-40 years ago but it still has noticeable spangle and would likely suit your purposes fine.

You won't be able to order what you want; go to a large sheet metal shop and ask to see the metal and pick something you like.

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums