Moparts

Spot Welders

Posted By: Anonymous

Spot Welders - 08/21/11 02:58 AM

Who has ideas on spot welders that are easy on the wallet but work nicely??
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Spot Welders - 08/21/11 08:48 AM

Quote:

Should be 240volts, highest possible kva rating possible.
I use a tecna portable; easily does wheel lips, even inner panel installs. Not cheap, but much less then the bigger shop types.

Attached picture 6787855-welder-aa.jpg
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 12:46 AM

I have both Harbor Freight models...the 120 and 220volt. The 120v needs a 30amp breaker so it won't keep tripping. There are also different size arms available to get into hard to to reach areas.

and then there are the Lenco spot welders.. They show up all the time used from body shops. A new Lenco starts at $800 or so but are more versatile.

Posted By: draginmopars

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 12:59 AM

we also have a harbor freight 220 volt does fine.
not used often, but , nice to have when needed

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 01:11 AM

Thanks for the input! What do you guys do where you want the appearance of a factory spot but cant fit the tongs? For instance cowls on an E body firewall?
Posted By: sixbbl69

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 01:57 AM

Linco 4000 L spot welder.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 02:21 AM

http://lencoautomotive.com/index.php?q=product&p=l-4000

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 02:22 AM

If you don't mind used...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ets-Louis-Melzas...=item4cf907e7d1
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 11:14 AM

Quote:

If you don't mind used...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ets-Louis-Melzas...=item4cf907e7d1

I have a Marquette similar to that except the tongs are separate, each with its own cable. Someday I'll get to try it!!
Posted By: Paul

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 02:19 PM

Lenco Panel Spotter

Watch for them on Craigslist, I got mine for $250 2 years ago.
Posted By: OLD318

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 09:13 PM

Quote:

This depends on what thickness of metal you wish to spot weld
and what do you mean by "easy" on the wallet.

The Lenco L-4000 MKII that is referred to here cost almost $1000.00 brand new
but its only rated for 20 guage sheet metal
and requires a 50 amp single phase plug.

This means that you can certainly get one of these and plug
it in at home-(you might need an electrician to setup the
plug for you), But this only buys you 20guage spot welding)....

IMHO...
The smaller portable types ($400-$750 new) even those which
utilize a 230volt 30 amp plug,may work OK with thinner metal
20 guage 22 guage etc. But I don't see how they will work on
18 guage to 18 guage as found on the old mopars...

Others on here will differ on this opinion I'm sure
and I'm not trying to start a fight.

I'm just saying I don't see how... etc...

The professional spot welders used by the factory usually (if not always) require 3-phase commercial plugs...
You can't get that in a residential setting. (Single phase)...
and they generate 1000's of amps to do this correctly.

Whats wrong with MIG Welding?
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 09:52 PM

Sort of;

my larger spot welder is rated at 19,000 amps at the secondary coil, but that translates to a 30 amp 208/3/60 service. My smaller Miller unit takes a 20amp breaker.

I don't know what those little ones are rated at, but while the amperage of the welder is part of the equation, we simply adjust the weld time to deal with most thicknesses of sheet metal.

I also question whether or not most mopars have 18ga exterior panels.....the few I micrometered didn't; 20-22ga IIRC.

I wouldn't trust some hobbiest spot welder on subframes, K frames or the like, but I'm sure most decent ones don't have a problem with outer body panels....course you have to make sure the metal is clean, contact is tight with adequate pressure and the tips are in good shape....

Dave

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 10:11 PM

This is why I posted to get as much info i can before i make a move. Heres what I am hoping to achieve:

Spend less than a grand on one.

Get a respectable factory appearing weld. (I know it wont ever be that nice original factory spot, but I want to try getting it)

Get a little more satisfaction doing it myself without giving up cleanliness and quality that i may or may not get paying someone else to do.

I appreciate all input, ideas, and past experiences, its what makes this site great for the hobbyist!

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 10:18 PM

Quote:

Get a respectable factory appearing weld. (I know it wont ever be that nice original factory spot, but I want to try getting it)

Actually, I can easily duplicate a factory spot weld perfectly with either of my machines.

Dave
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Spot Welders - 08/22/11 10:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the input! What do you guys do where you want the appearance of a factory spot but cant fit the tongs? For instance cowls on an E body firewall?

A flat nosed punch with a dolley. It's a two man job but its cheap.

Re: Spot Welders - 08/23/11 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A flat nosed punch with a dolley. It's a two man job but its cheap.

I was thinking of something like that today, wondering if it would look good. Looked like the metal was crimped in a lot from the factory.

Re: Spot Welders - 08/23/11 02:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, I can easily duplicate a factory spot weld perfectly with either of my machines.

Dave

I do that easily with the 120V HF welder I go all over(add welds) the body(s) to stiffen it up. Just leave the switch on longer for deeper welds and they are identical to the factory welds.
Posted By: sixpaktoogo

Re: Spot Welders - 08/23/11 05:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Dave, What brand of welders are you using? Can you post pictures of your welds? Thanks!
Posted By: sixpaktoogo

Re: Spot Welders - 08/23/11 05:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

I do that easily with the 120V HF welder I go all over(add welds) the body(s) to stiffen it up. Just leave the switch on longer for deeper welds and they are identical to the factory welds.

Can you post pictures of your welds and the welder you use? Thanks!

Re: Spot Welders - 08/23/11 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Dave, What brand of welders are you using? Can you post pictures of your welds? Thanks!

I have a sheet metal fabrication shop, so mine aren't what most hobbiests would have access to. I have a Western Arctronics 30KVA and a Miller 20FT. The Miller is convertable to portable duty, the Western is not. If you still want pics, let me know.

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums