Moparts

Removing Undercoating

Posted By: Erik

Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 04:50 PM

Has anyone ever used the Eastwood undercoating remover? Is it any good/worth the price?
Posted By: sixpackbird

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 05:12 PM

A heat gun and paint thinner works well.
Heat up the undercoating with the heat gun and scrap it off with a putty knife, you don't need a lot of heat to soften the undercoating. Once the you have the bulk of it scrapped off and the surface is cool, use paint thinner and a rag to remove whats left.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 05:56 PM

Gary(Challenger 1) should be along shortly to show you his prefered method of undercoating removal. Pretty slick.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 06:21 PM

Quote:

Has anyone ever used the Eastwood undercoating remover? Is it any good/worth the price?

Hello,
No I have never used it before. Is it flamable? Must not be the more I think about it. Didn't go to Eastwood yet to read about it.
How much do you want to remove and is the car on a rotissierie?
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 06:22 PM

They should do a reality show about this job. If you aren't doing it on a rotisserie, that job makes the crab fishermen look like a bunch of pusssies.

MB

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 06:23 PM

Quote:

They should do a reality show about this job. If you aren't doing it on a rotisserie, that job makes the crab fishermen look like a bunch of pusssies.

MB

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,
No I have never used it before. Is it flamable? Must not be the more I think about it. Didn't go to Eastwood yet to read about it.

I want to remove it all. Yes, the car is now on a rotisserie. I wasn't about to be on my back srcaping that stuff off!
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 08:47 PM

Be careful getting the old undercoating on bare skin when you're all sweaty. There's something in it that can cause a sever, long-lasting rash once it's embedded in your pores. PCB's?

Had a buddy that looked like he was boiled in oil for about 6 months. I've gotten a patch or two from it, but it wasn't nearly as bad as my friend's reaction to it.

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 09:02 PM

Didn't know that. Thanks! Long gloves!!!!
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 09:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

MB

I'm guessing we are laughing because we all did that job on our backs at one time or another. God did that suck.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 09:59 PM

Propane torch and putty knife!

My 12 year-old son actually "got into it" and liked doing the last fender...

Oh yeah, I ran the blue flame while he scraped.
Posted By: FPD031

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/09/11 10:36 PM

And get your wife to do it for you!

Dave

Attached picture 6771287-Picture183.jpg
Posted By: Wild_Hemi

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/11/11 03:49 AM

Eastwood Undercoating remover product does not work on traditional under coating.

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/11/11 04:57 PM

I removed all the undercoating, road tar and dirt from the bottem of my car in 3 1/2 hours with out even touching my car. Not one scratch or gouge mark anywhere. One afternoon and I was done.
Used a steam pressure washer with a little gasoline in a sprayer to soften the tuff stuff.
I've done it now on several cars and many trucks over the years.
It's worth the trouble/cost to rent a steam pressure washer for this job, imo.
I have been lucky to own several of these pressure washers that we use to maintain a small fleet of tanker trucks.

before

after same afternoon.

I removed all the seam sealer from the inside of the car also with it.

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/11/11 05:22 PM

The pressurized container that I sprayed the gas with to soften the tuff undercoating that didn't come off the first pass.

The pressure washer. I was able to stand up, breath no fumes or dust, no open flame, no gouge marks, no skinned up hands and it was done in just few hours.
Now standing there with 1500 PSI ,4+gpm at 200 degree temp point blank for 3-4 hours is not real easy, but the job was done in one afternoon and only had to clean up once. And the less than 2 gallons of gas I used evaporated before it got to my grass, so it didn't cause any enviromental issues. I swept up the heavy undercoating off the driveway with a shovel and used my pressure washer to clean my driveway. 3 times now at home and still have a real nice yard with grass.
Oh yea,I used it to remove the repaint on the car that I'm drilling out the spot welds so I can see better before drilling in the picture below.

Here's the doors on my gold 71,

Used the same pressure washer to remove all paint from them. It'll remove any repaint leaving the original paint pretty much intack.

Did a hell of job on these fenders.

Bottem of my 71 before blasting and repaint after undercoating removal.

Posted By: Explodo

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/11/11 06:14 PM

You can also use one of those oscillating tools with the scraper blade. They make it pretty easy for getting the bulk of it off.
Posted By: Dodge-N-Shelby

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/11/11 07:43 PM

I wanted the undercoating removed from under my 55 Chevy BelAir. I have a Media Blasting setup and used Baking Soda to remove a 12" square area in a half hour, it just seemed to 'melt' and roll the stuff up like gum. I opened a bag of Grit-O-Cob, ground corncob. I ended up with the same results as what Challenger1 ended up in about the same amount of time (3-4 hours). But his process would be an easier and cheaper one for just anyone to do. My process worked great for me because I have the blaster, compressor, and access to cob, whereas I would have had to go out and rent a steamcleaner. Just more options to throw out there.

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/11/11 08:29 PM

Quote:

I wanted the undercoating removed from under my 55 Chevy BelAir. I have a Media Blasting setup and used Baking Soda to remove a 12" square area in a half hour, it just seemed to 'melt' and roll the stuff up like gum. I opened a bag of Grit-O-Cob, ground corncob. I ended up with the same results as what Challenger1 ended up in about the same amount of time (3-4 hours). But his process would be an easier and cheaper one for just anyone to do. My process worked great for me because I have the blaster, compressor, and access to cob, whereas I would have had to go out and rent a steamcleaner. Just more options to throw out there.

Many ways to do it.
I like pressure washing first before media blasting because it allows me a very light media blast to get the metal bare and I'm not blasting grease and oil into the metal. I use less media too which makes cleanup easier.

I have been media blasting for like 25 years.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/11/11 09:03 PM

I've seen pics of it pressure washed that you posted before, my question is: how much did the equipment needed to do this cost? It does clean it very nice. I always went with a propane torch and scraper. Another issue is I have yet to scrape one that was that clean. I always have cars that have parts that had flaked off and rust... so I had to blast them after anyways and I would blast them anyways to have a good start for epoxy and needed body work.
Posted By: Dodge-N-Shelby

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/11/11 10:37 PM

If I read it right, Challenger1 may do some lite media blasting after its been steam/pressure washed. I like his method, especially for DIYers because of the fact that its sooooo less messy than trying to clean up all that old undercoating and media from your yard. I am lucky enough to have commercial blasting equipment and lots of outdoor area that I could just run a tractor blade over to level off and leave my mess. Also, when I did mine with cob, I hit it at about a 30 degree angle and mine flaked off in chunks because it was so dry. I'm sure that if my undercoating was still somewhat soft, it may have been a different story.

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/12/11 01:39 AM

Pressure washer cost $5500. or so.
I suggested to rent one.
It is the most used tool in my shop.

I media blast for sure after steam cleaning. It's almost nice enough to go right over but I would want the new paint on something better like bare metal. Yes it takes very little blasting when it's that clean.
On this car I used coal slage on the bottem and inside and plastic for the body.
Not much media laying on the ground and the car is bare. And I'm 30' from the back porch. That tells you that I didn't blast there long. I have a large towable diesel compressor that provides plenty of air. So it's fast with a large air volume.
In this picture is after I did the outside with plastic, it's mostly white in color. The day before I did the bottem and inside with black colored slage. I cleaned all that up the night before so I could roll my car back into the garage. So there was more than just the white mess blasting the whole car.

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/12/11 01:56 AM

Quote:

The pressurized container that I sprayed the gas with to soften the tuff undercoating that didn't come off the first pass.

The pressure washer. I was able to stand up, breath no fumes, no open flame, no gouge marks, no skined up hands and it was done in just few hours. Now standing there with 1500 PSI at 200 degree temp point blank for 3-4 hours is not real easy, but the job was done in one afternoon and only had to clean up once. And the less than 2 gallons of gas I used evaporated before it got to my grass, so it didn't cause any enviromental issues. I swept up the heavy undercoating off the driveway with a shovel and used my pressure washer to clean my driveway. 3 times now at home and still have a real nice yard with grass.
Oh yea,I used it to remove the repaint on the car that I'm drilling out the spot welds so I can see better before drilling in the picture below.

Here's the doors on my gold 71,

Used the same pressure washer to remove all paint from them. It'll remove any repaint leaving the original paint pretty much intack.

Did a hell of job on these fenders.

Bottem of my 71 before repaint after undercoating removal.

Challenger you are genius this is the best way i ever seen to remove the undercoating
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/12/11 03:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

I want to remove it all. Yes, the car is now on a rotisserie. I wasn't about to be on my back srcaping that stuff off!

Ahh ya no fun I did a rotisserie job on 4 jacks stands the whole way through
On my back more hours than a 20 buck hoe a friend and I used the sharpee platinum gun and took turns filling and shooing paint I wanted him to shoot the firsy base on so I could get a kool picture

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Dart%20Sport%20Resto/BOTTOMCLEAR8.jpg

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/12/11 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

Ahh ya no fun I did a rotisserie job on 4 jacks stands the whole way through
On my back more hours than a 20 buck hoe a friend and I used the sharpee platinum gun and took turns filling and shooing paint I wanted him to shoot the firsy base on so I could get a kool picture

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Dart%20Sport%20Resto/BOTTOMCLEAR8.jpg

Kevin I did a 71 challenger like yours in 1981-3 on my back. scraped every inch of that car on my back. Didn't even know rotissieres even exsisted then. BTW it was not as nice as your car and I never finished it. Sold it unfinished to friend who I thought would finish it. He never did, I heard someone finished it.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/13/11 12:58 AM

Quote:

Hehehe.....Eastwood has a small showroom next to their warehouse, in which, one corner houses their clearance stuff. The shelves are marked $2.00 for spray cans, $5.00 for gallons etc. It's usually either stuff they can't sell as new (paint spilled on the cans for ex.) or discontinued items.

So I'm poking around in there one day and they have a bunch of undercoating remover on the $2.00 shelf. I ask the guy behind the counter if this stuff actually works. "Of course it works!" he snaps.

" If it works so well, why is it on the two dollar shelf?" I ask him. I never knew you could get banned from a showroom.

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/14/11 03:45 AM

Eastwood undercoating remover is worthless on traditional Under coating
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/14/11 04:35 AM

Quote:

MB

I saw Troy do it to his 68 Dart that did not have full factory undercoating and was a total rust free California car (LA built plant black primer). Most of it was just inside rear wheel wells. And it still sucked. He vowed never to do it again. Just take it to a media blaster.

Attached picture 6777268-Troy3_19_10DartSm4.JPG
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/14/11 11:42 PM

What are the spec's on that steam cleaner? I am looking at getting a Hotsy, used them before but not sure if it would work for removing the undercoating. Tim
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Removing Undercoating - 08/15/11 12:05 AM

I just bought this one for the same exact reason, it removes under coating and removes heavy grease and grime quicker, easier, better than anything else I've tried. I contacted the local Hotsy rep and had him keep an eye out for a good used one for me, after a 4 month wait he found one (people tend to hang on to them so used are not always easy to find).

They retail new for about 5K but I got this one for $1,200.00 and it works awesome, it came with some extras like a new hose and hose reel, extension cord, etc. The specs are pretty basic, single phase power required, diesel or kerosene fuel for the burner, 1,500 psi sprayer, heat rating is 240 degrees F (but actually only heats to about 200).

I love this thing!

Attached picture 6778288-Hotsy.jpg

Re: Removing Undercoating - 10/18/11 01:39 PM

Erik, How did you remove your undercoating?

Re: Removing Undercoating - 10/20/11 05:34 PM

LOL. Still haven't done it. Got into other household projects to get ready for winter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums