Moparts

used original trunk mat or repop?

Posted By: ademon

used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/02/11 07:20 PM

What would you use on a fresh resto? a repop or a presentable original with a few stains and whatnot..
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/02/11 09:00 PM

repops are trash...unless you uncover an early reproduction that is being advertised as NOS. pricey but as good as youll get.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/02/11 09:07 PM

original
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/02/11 09:36 PM

depends on what your trying to acheive and/or how nice the original is .
Posted By: MLR426

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/03/11 01:41 PM

Quote:

depends on what your trying to acheive and/or how nice the original is .

that's common sense..

logan426
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/03/11 06:15 PM

The original if it's even REMOTELY presentable; I agree with the poster that said the repops are trash.......that's actually being kind IMO.

Dave
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/03/11 06:21 PM

When is someone gonna turn out a good reproduction mat... Jim F.? Dave W.? Anybody?
Posted By: A12

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/03/11 11:20 PM

Quote:

When is someone gonna turn out a good reproduction mat... Jim F.? Dave W.? Anybody?

Mike Ross - B/E&A????????
Posted By: 69Chrgr

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/04/11 02:43 AM

years ago, I bought a tan one to replace my original tan plaid in my 69 charger< it only had a tear in it, so i threw the original out, I cant believe i did that, does anyone even make a tan plaid one anymore? all I see are grey. should have kept my original.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/05/11 01:06 PM

Come on Dave at ECS it's time for another top notch product

logan426

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/05/11 04:14 PM

Quote:

logan426

Ill second that motion
Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/05/11 07:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

logan426

Ill second that motion

I think a good quality trunk mat will sell good.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/05/11 07:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

logan426

Ill second that motion

I think a good quality trunk mat will sell good.

Really? You THINK? I'm kinda guessing I KNOW it would because correct fitting ones are so hard to find. Just like a flat laying carpet. Hmmmm....now who came up with a solution to that one also?
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/05/11 07:34 PM

Quote:

years ago, I bought a tan one to replace my original tan plaid in my 69 charger< it only had a tear in it, so i threw the original out, I cant believe i did that, does anyone even make a tan plaid one anymore? all I see are grey. should have kept my original.

These guys make the tan plain as would be in the '69 Chargers, but it is in the heavy vinyl. It is in bulk, so one has to use the original for a pattern....

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalog/trunk_mats/mopar/samples.html

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/06/11 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

These guys make the tan plain as would be in the '69 Chargers, but it is in the heavy vinyl. It is in bulk, so one has to use the original for a pattern....

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalog/trunk_mats/mopar/samples.html

Thats a great link Troy!!!!

Except they dont offer all the Mopar patterns in the heavywieght rubber.

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/06/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

logan426

Hi everyone,

We've had this one on the radar scope and are now doing feasibility studies. We'll have more room at the shop now that RPM manufacturing is going off site to our additional facility we just acquired.

What's everyones thoughts on the most popular models to start with?

Also Charlie tells me that the order for Carpet will most likely be placed on Tuesday - last call !

We'll update you as this moves along. First I have to move the RPM materials and equipment to the facility once they have finished the last details on the interior.

Tom
Posted By: ademon

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/06/11 03:51 PM

69-70 B body, 70-76 A body i would think would sell the best
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/06/11 04:09 PM

Quote:

No way ..... 70-71 Challenger! I'll take 3!
Posted By: az426john

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/06/11 04:23 PM

Please don't forget 66-67 "B" bodies.

One way to do it would be to look at the production numbers and start with the most vehicles produced and that one goes first or talk to other repo vendors and see what goes first in their inventories.
Posted By: MONC

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/06/11 08:31 PM

Quote:

What would you use on a fresh resto? a repop or a presentable original with a few stains and whatnot..

None of the above, the only things those are good for are trapping moisture and creating rust....

If you were going to use it sparingly however when you show the car and take it out, and the car is freshly restored, I would use a correct appearing repro.

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/06/11 09:32 PM

the matts trap moisture from leaky trunks....most restored cars wont see enough water to have a moisture issue.

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/06/11 09:56 PM

Quote:

the matts trap moisture from leaky trunks....most restored cars wont see enough water to have a moisture issue.

Mine gets washed regularly... But the trunk seal is in place & works as it should... Also the trunk floor actually has paint on it instead of the mist of color the factory applied..... I take my old MCO mat out from time to time & clean underneath it, there's some old water stains but no rust..... Cars been done for fifteen years, next time it needs a trunk floor I probably won't be alive...
Posted By: MONC

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/07/11 03:49 PM

Quote:

I'm sure that's a part of it, but I have found even those trunks which did not leak still had moisture trapped under the mat.

I am thinking open trunk during hot humid summer day at a show, close the trunk with that new airtight seal and where does all that moist air in the trunk go? It's stays there then cools and the moisture has to go somewhere. It condenses and ends up between the mat and the trunk floor.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/07/11 03:52 PM

Original.. Its the only way to go..

Attached picture 6767511-challengertrunkdetail003(Medium).jpg
Posted By: az426john

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/07/11 09:31 PM

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/08/11 02:35 AM

1971 B-bodies

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/08/11 04:32 PM

I would have to say 68-70 B body (chargers) and then the E bodys.

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/08/11 04:47 PM

Quote:

'68 B-bodies are the same IINM as the '69-'70 B-bodies.....

and what about '68 and '69 A-body Darts seems like there are lots of those out there too?

MikeR

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/08/11 04:54 PM

Now that we have someone interested in maybe making them; What exactly makes the original better than any or most of reproduction trunk mats???????????

MikeR

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/08/11 04:59 PM

Material thickness, most patterns weren't just print but actually slightly three dimensional..Fact is even the back side has a slight texture.. The die cut shapes of the repos is generally way off...

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/08/11 05:44 PM

Quote:

Material thickness, most patterns weren't just print but actually slightly three dimensional..Fact is even the back side has a slight texture.. The die cut shapes of the repos is generally way off...

man you said it....I just threw a piece of crap repop mat in the R/T and it was actually stamped upside sown, when I flipped the mat it fit pretty good compared to the crappy way it sits now.

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/08/11 08:44 PM

Quote:

So they were almost a "weave" and not just a printed pattern Did they have something bonded into the mat to reinforce or strengthen it????
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/08/11 09:58 PM

I have seen so many cars with completely wrong pattern and fitting mats. I think many buyers just don't know what's correct and neither do the sellers? The question is what is the correct fitting mat worth? At $49 each plus shipping, there's not much incentive to the vendor to make improvements in what is available. For 69 BBody cars, ACC makes the closest pattern and fit of any vendor. I can't vouch for other years and models. It still takes me 1.5 hours to retrim the ACC ones to match my original templates. ( I've cut a few for the A12 guys).

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/08/11 11:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So they were almost a "weave" and not just a printed pattern Did they have something bonded into the mat to reinforce or strengthen it????

Not a weave, just a embossed grain/textured pattern & some had a smooth backside but depending on application some had a non-skid sort of crosshatched pattern on the back...
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: used original trunk mat or repop? - 08/09/11 01:24 AM

I'm working on a full resto of a 69.5 Roadrunner. I have the original trunk mat, and I plan to use it even if it's not perfect. It a little damaged in spots but it's all there. Given the extent my car was raced, I'm surprised it wasn't tossed out a some point.

-dan
© 2024 Moparts Forums