Moparts

exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto..

Posted By: cdp

exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 01:04 AM

What is the process to restore my exhaust manifolds without painting?

Sandblast and gear oil, with a little overspray when the engine is painted?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 01:52 AM

I would think the engine paint would not stick to the manifolds with the gear oil on it.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 02:12 AM

All engines were assembled with the manifolds on them,then painted.
As we all know,the paint on the manifolds lasted not long after being driven.
So,the "correct" look is..paint burned off and bare metal.
For those who prefer opening the hood like a jewelery box,using POR-15,or Eastwood's manifold paint is better looking than rusty exhaust manifolds.
Many of us have done tons of detailing under the hood and the products mentioned above have become acceptable in the hobby
In the past,I gave my logs a good blast of glass beading for the "au-natural look,LOL!As time went by they showed there true age.

This time I am using the POR-15.

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 02:23 AM

The oil process you mentioned works. I think another new product on the market deserves a chance as well, ECS "RPM" product. Clean the metal spotless of rust via blasting, etc. Give it a good coating of the RPM, heat and let it flow as directed. When cool and dry (doesn't take long) add them to the engine and paint as usual. Most of the paint will burn off pretty fast but some will usually remain around the ports and bolts, etc. The RPM is a heat activated product and it may or may not work on something that gets so hot, but I think it's a good canidate to try and see what happens.

Posted By: burdar

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 02:33 AM

I also wondered if paint would stick to a manifold that was dipped in gear oil. My guess is that it probably would stick since you burn off the excess with a torch first. Maybe I'll get to that stage this winter...I said that last summer too.

The few parts I've used RPM on, seem slightly waxy after they have cooled off. I don't think the paint is going to work. Maybe the RPM could be applied after the mounting flanges have been painted? I guess both ways are worth a try.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 02:54 AM

Quote:

I also wondered if paint would stick to a manifold that was dipped in gear oil. My guess is that it probably would stick since you burn off the excess with a torch first. Maybe I'll get to that stage this winter...I said that last summer too.

The few parts I've used RPM on, seem slightly waxy after they have cooled off. I don't think the paint is going to work. Maybe the RPM could be applied after the mounting flanges have been painted? I guess both ways are worth a try.

If you put the paint on and then the RPM, you are kinda defeating the purpose of putting the RPM on since the painted area will burn off and then rust leaving the other are with the RPM nice and clean. Also, I wonder how well the RPM will hold up to the extreme heat? My guess is that with the constant heat, it will thin out like when you apply the stuff on a heated part and then run off causing a mess. If it doesn't then I know what I am doing next winter!
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 02:57 AM

Never tried it myself but I have heard of rubbing them with graphite after blasting. Supposedly they don't rust and still retain the cast look.

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 03:18 AM

Well....I went with the gear oil route. We'll see what happens. Won't get fired back up for a week, but I'm expecting a little bit-O-Smoke from the process. Here is a pic of the mock-up.

Attached picture 6754556-71_440_AVS.jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 03:27 AM

If you clean and paint the inside of the manifolds with ceramic header coating it should help slow down, or even prevent, the paint from burning off.

My brother plays around with oldsmobiles and like all the B.O.P. family of engines the exhaust ports are cast outside the main cylinder head architecture which pretty much guarantees the engine paint will burn off before the engine is even broken in. He just freshened up a 350 olds a few weeks back and before he put the heads back together he applied header coating all the way up inside the exhaust ports. So far all the paint on the outside of the heads is still in perfect shape.

I think if you sprayed the inside of a set of manifolds as far up inside them as possible it might help the resto overspray last a lot longer on a car that will be driven.

Here is a pic I found of a Pontiac engine that shows what typically happens to the engine paint on at the exhaust ports right in front of where the manifolds, or in this case headers, bolt to.

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 03:49 AM

Quote:

If you put the paint on and then the RPM, you are kinda defeating the purpose of putting the RPM on since the painted area will burn off and then rust leaving the other are with the RPM nice and clean.

That's why I thought you could just paint the mounting flanges instead of the entire manifold. The paint doesn't burn off of there anyway. You may be able to re-apply the RPM to the hot manifolds shortly after breakin...before the manifolds start to rust.(covering up any areas where the paint did burn off) This hasn't been tried before so I'm just thinking out loud I guess.

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 05:39 AM

I actually have some RPM and never though to try it on manifolds.

When the time comes to put my A12 motor completely together, I'll probably try RPM. Originally, the plan was to use Jethot, but the more original look was what I'm wanting.
Posted By: ademon

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 06:25 AM

Why not jet hot coat or thermal barrier the inside of the exh manifold and leave the outside natural with gear oil/ecs/ or whatever, anyone ever try this
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 11:34 AM

Quote:

Well....I went with the gear oil route. We'll see what happens. Won't get fired back up for a week, but I'm expecting a little bit-O-Smoke from the process. Here is a pic of the mock-up.

A LITTLE bit of smoke ... ... it going to all burn off and leave a nasty looking residue on them.

good luck
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 11:15 PM

I use the Easrwoods then let it dry . Later I install them on the engin befor paint and paint over the Eastwood coating and the engin at the same time. Most of the paint will burn off leaving just the eastwood coating and some overspray. The engin in the pic has been already run .

Attached picture 6755632-017.JPG
Posted By: Moparlar

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 07/31/11 11:59 PM

Quote:

I use the Easrwoods then let it dry . Later I install them on the engin befor paint and paint over the Eastwood coating and the engin at the same time. Most of the paint will burn off leaving just the eastwood coating and some overspray. The engin in the pic has been already run .

This is what I did also.
Larry

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/20/11 09:20 PM

No pics, but the oil burned off and basically left a nice appearance overall. Not sure it its really protected well.

I oiled down the manifolds and let them set out in the 100 degree heat off and on for a week before installing.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/20/11 11:27 PM

Headers. Less weight. Better sound. Better performance.

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/20/11 11:44 PM

Headers: Leak, rust, burns wires and starters, coatings never stay on and or turn color...and #1 thing for me... they don't look stock.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/20/11 11:56 PM

Reach for your wallet and get TTI's. None of the above.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/21/11 04:17 PM

Quote:

This doesn't answer the OP's original question , but then again this IS moparts ...

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/21/11 04:41 PM

Headers have no place in the restoration section.

cdp...Please post pictures of your manifolds when you have a chance.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/22/11 04:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This doesn't answer the OP's original question , but then again this IS moparts ...

Dave
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/22/11 05:02 PM

The PS and FAST guys seem to do just fine without headers
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/22/11 05:16 PM

Quote:

But, I wonder where they'd be WITH headers.

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/22/11 05:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But, I wonder where they'd be WITH headers.

Yeah, because 800hp isn't quite enough!

Dave
Posted By: lahatte

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/22/11 07:47 PM

Wait... PS and FAST? Who is this? 800hp with manifolds?

Re: exhaust manifolds, no paint..resto.. - 08/22/11 09:34 PM

Quote:

Wait... PS and FAST? Who is this? 800hp with manifolds?

http://www.fastraces.org/

The top FAST cars are over 800hp with manifolds....kinda debunks the theory that you need headers to make power.......waiting for the "but they'd make more with headers" comments in 3, 2 , 1....

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums