Moparts

70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore?

Posted By: 70SportSatellite

70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 01:56 AM

I'll try to keep it short. I need an alt for my Sat. 383 no A/C. I had one restored about 4-5 years ago but now the finish is turning.
Do I re-restore this one or is there a new on available that is up to restoration/show quality. I'm not going to quibble over date codes but it must appear original in looks and finish. I saw this online but can't tell from the pic's if it would work. new alt
If I don't find a new one who does the best alt resto's?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 02:13 AM

Quote:

If I don't find a new one who does the best alt resto's?

hands down,
Jim Ridge at Dixie Restoration services. Price wise I think he is comparible with most any aftermarket rebuilt alternator.

problem is, if it's been rebuilt before it - usually has been glass beaded or even worst, sand blasted and it completely changes the surface texture of the case that you cannot get back
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 02:51 AM

If your looking for a NEW, not rebuilt or "restored" altenator, Powermaster has a line of "Resto" altenators for Mopars, these have brand new cases, that have that nice newly cast milky aluminum appearance, and all new internals, rated for 13,000 rpm pulley speeds, and correct internals coated/plated/gylptoled/etc...retail is about $100 www.summitracing.com is probally your best source for purchase

The part numbers are:
PN# 7019....Double pulley/2 field terminals/round back

PN# 7018 single pulley/2 field terminals/roundback design

I have several of these in use, after you remove the Powermaster decal, they pass for "NOS' alternators, no casting numbers/stamps/logos

Attached picture 6708062-powermaster.jpg

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 03:13 AM

Mike, I
I respectivly dis-agree. I have one of these on a car now and the problem I am having is the belt groove width is much narrower than any of the other pulleys. And I am having belt noises associated with such.

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 03:27 AM

Thanks guys,

Bill, Can the stock pulley be put on one of the Powermaster units?

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 04:38 AM

Quote:

Mike, I
I respectivly dis-agree. I have one of these on a car now and the problem I am having is the belt groove width is much narrower than any of the other pulleys. And I am having belt noises associated with such.

Bill, do you have one of the "resto" powermasters, or one of the "streetmaster" units?....I've had no issues with the "resto" alternators, nor with the pulleys

This here is the STREETMASTER 7419

Attached picture 6708240-aaaa7419.jpg

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 04:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys,

Bill, Can the stock pulley be put on one of the Powermaster units?

Yes,...I've had one unit, that the black double grove factory HEMI pulley was swapped on

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 05:24 AM

Thanks for the help, I just placed my order.
Posted By: 70RR383

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 12:18 PM

Would these be OK for any 70 b body.I meen amp wise???Thanks

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 01:39 PM

Quote:

Bill, do you have one of the "resto" powermasters, or one of the "streetmaster" units?....I've had no issues with the "resto" alternators, nor with the pulleys

Mike, To be honest, I do not know
My customer supplied it when he was talked into it by the sales rep and Bouchillon. He ordered the under hood Vintage A/C components from them and they suggested it.

It's dual groove pulley alt, and they only thing that was on it is the powermaster decal. I threw the box away before I noticed the pulley differences.

But this is it .

Attached picture 6708569-DSC01206.JPG

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 02:53 PM

Quote:

Would these be OK for any 70 b body.I meen amp wise???Thanks

Yes they are rated for 75 amps, but come with a test sheet indicating exactly what the output was, basically an electrical dyno sheet, they avg 55-60 amps, regardless of the amp rating stated, powermaster does offer anthing and everything under the sun for starter/alts/generators, chrome/stock HO/race only units/marine/etc...

I have several in use on my DD, and toys, got tired of resto/rebuilts that gave up the ghost too soon, often leaving me stranded,....the one I have on my Charger Daytona sees sustained 140 MPH runs averaging up to 6200RPM, plus with 4:10 gears, see lots of high RPM's on the street, no problems been on there for 6 yrs,....I won't but another resto or rebuilt again,....same with the Powermaster mini starters, might cost more than the generic mini's,....but I've outlasted others running the Chrysler mini's...

Mike

Re: 70 B-Body Alternator,, New or Restore? - 07/01/11 03:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike, To be honest, I do not know
My customer supplied it when he was talked into it by the sales rep and Bouchillon. He ordered the under hood Vintage A/C components from them and they suggested it.

It's dual groove pulley alt, and they only thing that was on it is the powermaster decal. I threw the box away before I noticed the pulley differences.

But this is it .

Bill,
That looks like the "Streetmaster" Powermaster alt,that I posted a pic of above,....all the restos have the wide band stator/commutator gizmo between the cases, as original, the streetmaster I have on my Daughters 88 Dode Ram, is designed for 85 and up applications, so maybe that's the puley problem your experiencing, plus the 85 and up case/alignment is narrower, as I tried this one initialy on my Challenger, it fit, but the belt alignment was off some (that's kinda how my daughters truck got it instead )

Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums