Moparts

Fender Tag - Different color than car?

Posted By: Winston

Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 10:42 PM

I have a Challenger that has a blue fender tag, yet the car is green. Has anyone else heard of a fender tag being a different color than the car? It's a '74 model. The car is on Ebay, and I received this question about it and don't know the answer. Any information on this would be appreciated.

Attached picture 4707912-challytag.JPG
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 10:47 PM

Do the last six digits on the bottom line of the tag match the VIN tag on the dash?

The hose is covering the exterior color code so it's hard to determine the original color of the car that goes with the tag.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 10:48 PM

Does the VIN sequence (last 6 digits) match the VIN on the dash, the title, the door tag, and the body stampings?

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 10:54 PM

Yes, everything matches on the car. The color code is KG2 on the fender tag and car.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 10:57 PM

At the factory the fender tag is attached with one screw, the painter painted the tag with the car ( the same color as the car), lifted the tag up at the loose end and painted under it. Then the tag is pushed back down and attached with the other unpainted screw.

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 11:01 PM

Does the car appear to be a repaint? I am not sure what color KG2 is (others will chime in shortly) so I can say if that tag (or car) could be KG2 (I don't think the tag is because blues were B3, B5, B7)
The left hand screw (covered by the PS Hose) should be painted...is it? What color?
FOr whatever reason (and without more info) I am thinking your TAG was repainted ! (???)

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 11:15 PM

You sure about the KG2??? The paint code is the first sequence (all the way on the left) 2nd row up from the bottom----thats says "KG2"? (just checking)

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 11:16 PM

I appreciate all the replies and helpful info.
KG2 is for Frosty Green Metallic.
The blue on the tag appears to be the same color blue found on the 318 engine.

Here is a pic I just took. The left screw is a little smaller than the right screw. The screw on the right appears to be more 'brown' or rusty.

Attached picture 4707987-CopyofP9240003.JPG

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 11:27 PM

Fair enough. The only explaination is the fender tag was repainted by a previous owner. Probably not real wise, but it happens (better than NO tag!!!) Shouldn't alarm potential bidders, once its explained that the numbers all match. (I don't know about engine tranny etc....but the tag/decal/title numbers match.

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/24/08 11:36 PM

Really appreciate the input. Yeah, all the numbers match, and it wouldn't surprise me if the broadcast sheet happened to be in the car. I've never looked, but the car is extra clean. Thanks again for all the help.

Winston
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 12:41 PM

That's interesting.

Tav
Posted By: A12

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 02:13 PM

strange, there doesn't appear to be a crease on that tag in the upper left corner where it would have been bent?
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 02:16 PM

Quote:

strange, there doesn't appear to be a crease on that tag in the upper left corner where it would have been bent?

That's what I was thinking.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 03:18 PM

Quote:

At the factory the fender tag is attached with one screw, the painter painted the tag with the car ( the same color as the car), lifted the tag up at the loose end and painted under it. Then the tag is pushed back down and attached with the other unpainted screw.

Sometimes.

My Lynch Rd. 1970 Superbee had the tag painted off the car (likely hung inside) and then fastened to the fender with two unpainted screws.

Dave
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 03:22 PM

I see the code V1G on the tag. Gator Grain roofs had to only offered with certain colors- and doubt blue of any shade would be one of them. Not sure if this helps.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 04:18 PM

Actually for 1974 V1G was a green vinyl top. They switched over from using F in their paint codes too.
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 04:52 PM

Didn't catch that it was a 74- oops
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 06:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I was thinking.

I think the LA plant is one of the plants that bent the tag up. LA only made E bodies in 1970. This car was built in Hamtramck which is the only E body plant 71-74. I don't recall seeing any Hamtramck fender tags that are bent on the corner as described.

Tav
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 07:38 PM

Gator grain on a frinds B3 T/A.

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 08:17 PM

It was available on all the blues (EB3, EB5 and EB7) depending on the interior color.
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 08:29 PM

My FJ5 Charger has a blue painted fender tag. Looks like someone painted it years ago but who knows

Dave

Re: Fender Tag - Different color than car? - 09/25/08 08:39 PM

Weird.

Attached picture 4710078-bmg.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums