Moparts

sound deadner

Posted By: prairiechicken1

sound deadner - 09/24/08 01:27 AM

I need to replace deadner inside quarter panels but i don't know what product to use? It has to be paintable,Any suggestions are appreciated and a big thanks for the help!
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: sound deadner - 09/24/08 02:10 AM

I have had great results using a shutz gun bought at any paint store for around $40 and using the 3m shutz bottles at pretty low psi through a regulator. Get some paper and tape off the top of the extensions and wheelhouses real good. Cut some carboard non uniformed and placed over the marker and dropped into the extension. A few light coats work great and maybe hit one spot a little more to let some ooze down. I was very happy with the results and looks pretty darn factory. You might want to experiment on some cardboard first to get the feel. My resto shop let me do my own. I used maybe 2-3 bottles to do both sides. Tape off good as it will splatter some, but some lacquer thinner will clean up nice any wayward spots.

Posted By: 73cudaproject

Re: sound deadner - 09/24/08 02:39 AM

Quote:

I have had great results using a shutz gun bought at any paint store for around $40 and using the 3m shutz bottles at pretty low psi through a regulator. Get some paper and tape off the top of the extensions and wheelhouses real good. Cut some carboard non uniformed and placed over the marker and dropped into the extension. A few light coats work great and maybe hit one spot a little more to let some ooze down. I was very happy with the results and looks pretty darn factory. You might want to experiment on some cardboard first to get the feel. My resto shop let me do my own. I used maybe 2-3 bottles to do both sides. Tape off good as it will splatter some, but some lacquer thinner will clean up nice any wayward spots.

That looks very nice. I think I'll give it a try. I still have some body filler work so to minimize dust issues is this just about the last step before painting?
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: sound deadner - 09/24/08 11:36 AM

Yes, last thing before paint was applied.

Clean the quarters good too with lacquer thinner or prep solve to get all dirt and grease off.

Rick.
Posted By: macmic87

Re: sound deadner - 09/24/08 11:42 AM

nice stripe!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums