Moparts

Rechroming bumper question

Posted By: MONC

Rechroming bumper question - 06/19/11 12:24 PM

If you want to rechrome your original bumper how do you know you're getting your original bumper back and not a different one?

My concern is fit, as the original will always fit the best back on the car.
And not only that the original part should go back on the car.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/19/11 03:23 PM

You could always stamp it in a out of view spot..and let the platers know you stamped it when you send it to them.
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/19/11 04:59 PM

Stamp 2 letters or numbers on the inside but at a measured distance apart that only you know.
If they notice them and try to duplicate them , they will not think of the distance between them.
Last take a before picture of the back.
Jules

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/19/11 05:55 PM

Won't the rechroming process cover/erase the stamps?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/19/11 06:00 PM

Quote:

Not on the backside. I think you might be a little overly concerned about this issue. Unless a shop specializes in muscle-car rechroming (bumper boys) they are highly unlikely to have a substitute bumper to swap for yours, and equally unlikely to bother with doing so.
Possible? yea.... Likely? Not hardly.

I would be far more concerned about the quality of work that the shop you select performs.

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/19/11 06:45 PM

I agree with the above post but if it makes you feel better, do it.
Jules
Posted By: superbee68

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/19/11 07:17 PM

while on the subject..who da's guality chrome the one around hear stinks thanks
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/19/11 09:08 PM

Quote:

while on the subject..who da's guality chrome the one around hear stinks thanks

You may get a differing opinion, but I've had good luck with Tri-City.

http://tricityplating.com/

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/19/11 10:20 PM

I use GG Buffing here in Montreal.
Does excellent work but too bad he is so far away from
US market unless you are willing to ship.
Jules
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/20/11 03:15 AM

I would also recommend calling TRI-CITY plating. They do quality work and the customer service is outstanding. Give them a call and ask them what they recommend in order to ensure you are getting your same bumpers back. Originally, I was going to have mine redone but ended up just swapping out for some they already had done. The bumpers look fantastic and I'm very happy with them. Here's a pic of the TRI-CITY rear bumper being bolted on with a buddy of mine fitting the bumper guards.

Joe

Posted By: superbee68

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/20/11 04:08 AM

thanks for the replys and thank you jules for the 3spd wiper conversion its the tops
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/20/11 04:29 AM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6672258

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/20/11 01:54 PM

You're welcome Jon.
Thank you.
Jules
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/20/11 05:16 PM

I also went the TriCity route and when I called them they told me up front that they did not have any bumpers in stock for my car and that I would receive they same ones I sent... which worked out just fine for me because of the same reasons you mentioned. One thing to add though, I went and built a nice wood shipping crate for my bumpers and asked them to re-use it for the return shipping. Bumpers arrived dressed in cardboard and tape. Fortunately they used a lot of cardboard and tape so in the end all was happy.

Good Luck!

Attached picture 6691538-P1310075.JPG

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/20/11 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not on the backside. I think you might be a little overly concerned about this issue. Unless a shop specializes in muscle-car rechroming (bumper boys) they are highly unlikely to have a substitute bumper to swap for yours, and equally unlikely to bother with doing so.
Possible? yea.... Likely? Not hardly.

I would be far more concerned about the quality of work that the shop you select performs.

Planned on using Tri-City, used them before to buy a bumper but not rechroming original.
So I think they qualify as "in the muscle car bumper" business.

I am mostly concerned with fit and simply the fact that the bumper is the original to the car so it should go back on the car.

I'll see about stamping something into the backs of them before giving them up.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/21/11 03:33 AM

I sent my A12 bumpers to Trycity and got mine back without issues. Have a set of 71's going out soon. Honest, trustworthy, no problems for me so far.

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/21/11 09:03 PM

Good to know , thanks .
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/22/11 01:05 AM

I've exchanged bumpers on 3 cars...67 R/T....67 GTX and a 69 Bee...had no problems
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/22/11 02:47 AM

I use Sandy's in Syracuse,NY.
Small family business,easy to deal with and good quality workmanship.
I do group buy runs for both sides of the border.
Anytime I send over 1200.00 worth of chrome,everybody gets a 15% discount.
Me? I get a deal and gas money,LOL!!
A win win for everybody.

http://www.sandysbumpermart.com/index.html

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/22/11 06:01 PM

So when's the next run?
I got lots to chrome, not just bumpers...
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/24/11 02:30 AM

Took mine to B & L Plating in Warren Michigan..One of the very last shops that strip the bumper then copper plate buffed to a mirror finish then triple nickle chrome...It dont get any better than that..I did the front and rear for my 72 RR and they look like mirrors..Just beautiful..And zero worries about getting your original parts back..Class act here boys but you will pay for it..And its worth it..
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/24/11 02:47 AM

The guys at Tri-City is the bested!!!!!!!!!!!Over 15 cars !!!!!!!!!!!!! You can ship them or take them to Carlisle and pick them up after they or done.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/24/11 09:35 PM

Tri city does excellent work but mostly there is wait because they chrome yours....not alot in stock....(best way is to send them and then pick them up at one of the shows they go to, excellent work)I know I've heard all these negitive things about Bumper Boyz BUT I have used them for years...had one issue with a bumper and they exchanged it without even looking at it. Being in Buffalo Ny I see them in Dunkirk...Niagara Falls....travel to Syracuse and Carlisle..Just got a compliment on My 69 Bee on how the bumpers looked so good. I am very happy with the price/product and service...and no...don't work or connected to them....lol
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/25/11 01:07 AM

Yes, used bumper boyz and Tri City and never had issues with either companys products. Though, I believe neither one is using copper any more. I've used those because they usually make a showing at Carlisle and I try avoiding shipping costs when possible.
Posted By: paris401

Re: Rechroming bumper question - 06/27/11 01:12 PM

i bought a bumper from tri-city for my bird.. 1st one was very wavy on the bottom..sent it back, got a second, wavy on the top (both had lots of hammer marks on the back)... the 3rd one was 'acceptable'... should have marked my perfect bumper n sent it to them... the chrome tho is real nice..

but if u want perfection...pauls in pa...
© 2024 Moparts Forums