Moparts

ECS tube in trunk, what years?

Posted By: 71TA

ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/15/11 10:08 PM

Wasn't it 70 california only and all 71?

Was it all models?
Posted By: formula_s

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/15/11 11:08 PM

I saw an AAR at the Nats in '09 that had that large tube. It was being displayed under a tent by some restoration company. When I asked about it I was told it was a Calif. car.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/15/11 11:15 PM

My 71 Duster 340 has it. LA built and SoCal sold car.
Posted By: burdar

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/15/11 11:31 PM

Very early 72 E-bodies had them before the switch was made to the vapor separator on the shock X-member.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/16/11 01:32 AM

ECS was 1970 only.

The NOX system started in 1971.

I do not know if the tubes were different or not between the two years, but I bet someone here will know.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/16/11 02:39 AM

Quote:

ECS was 1970 only.

I do not know if the tubes were different or not between the two years, but I bet someone here will know.

That may be how the books spell it out but really ECS is about evaporative emission control... Which is what the tube in the trunk is for...

NOX is about reducing Oxides of Nitrogen.... Which is accomplished by reducing combustion temperature... So the components related to the NOX system are engine related... Timing control initially, then camshaft & compression, EGR came a couple years later...
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/16/11 03:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ECS was 1970 only.

That may be how the books spell it out but really ECS is about evaporative emission control... Which is what the tube in the trunk is for...

NOX is about reducing Oxides of Nitrogen.... Which is accomplished by reducing combustion temperature... So the components related to the NOX system are engine related... Timing control initially, then camshaft & compression, EGR came a couple years later...

That Randy .... He's so smart! Your exactly right! 'Tube' in trunk was the evap. system in California Only? My '71 Challenger R/T has it as it was sold in San Leandro.
Posted By: Steve340

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/17/11 06:33 AM

ECS for California only on 1970 Duster. Then in 1971 same exact system was installed on all 1971 Dusters. Same gas tank and tube in trunk and line all the way up to the 3 inlet breather.

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/17/11 01:28 PM

Well now I'm clear

I was looking to update my gasket sets. I'll probably add that oval white foam gasket to all my 70 & 71 kits.

PS My 71 Challenger has the ECS thing in the trunk. MI car all its life.

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/17/11 01:52 PM

E-body

ECS tube was California only in 1970. All 71's had the tube as well as very early 72's.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/17/11 02:23 PM

70-71 E-bodies, don't they have the plate on the trunk floor - regardless if ECS or not?

1970 Ca cars have the large vapor tube and federal cars have the plate with 2 rubber grommets. Then all 1971 cars have the larger 1970 style ecs tube. correct ?

70-71 with ECS tube

Attached picture 6686843-71-ECS-cudatrunk-right.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/17/11 02:28 PM

1970 Federal emissions car

Attached picture 6686852-1970-cuda-non-ECS.jpg

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/17/11 08:07 PM

Quote:

Good info Bill. I don't think i ever saw that 2 grommet plate.
Posted By: A12

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/17/11 08:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

ECS was 1970 only.

The term that is still used to this day is EVAP System which contains all of the sources of evaporation emissions (i.e., fuel tank, carburetor float bowls, crankcase/valve covers,) when the engine is off and filters anything contained or captured through carbon (canister usually). How much EVAP is determined by a "SHED" test after the FTP is run. When the engine is running the evap emissions is directed into the engine usually at the intake manifold or carburetor/throttle body. I think that's what's being discussed here.........probably wrong as usual Is a carbon canister a part of this system being discussed?

MikeR

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/17/11 09:44 PM

The charcole canister was started in 72. I think earlier cars just ran the vapor line into a separator and then to a valve cover breather.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/18/11 01:45 AM

Quote:

Here's another pic of the 70 E body trunk plate/lines....The 70 routing looped in the trunk and emptied fuel into the frame rail....No link to the engine bay or vacuum controlled devices until later years...So basically nothing for emission/vapor control...No wonder California did'nt go for it !!

Attached picture 6687659-ventrouting3.JPG

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/18/11 01:43 PM

Yes, but in 1970 with ECS and in 71, there was still no charcol canister right? The vent lines were just run to a breather so the fuel vapor could be burned...or am I wrong?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/18/11 02:25 PM

Quote:

Then all 1971 cars have the larger 1970 style ecs tube. correct ?

Neither one of my 71 E bodies have the trunk tube (ECS), just the vent tube on the passenger inner fender (CAP if IIRC?) going back to the gas tank
Posted By: Neil

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/18/11 06:44 PM

My 70 Swinger has the ECS tube in the trunk floor. I don't run across that many other 70 a-bodies that have it.

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/18/11 06:44 PM

In 70 & 71 the fuel vapors were stored in the engine crankcase.. Generally the system worked but a stuck float or a bit of debris under a needle & the crankcase would be filled with fuel.... Also there have been cases where the fuel vapors combust causing the valley pan to bulge up & in sever cases the oil pan fails... Starting in 72 Chrysler went to the charcoal canister... Much better idea..

Re: ECS tube in trunk, what years? - 06/18/11 06:45 PM

Quote:

My 70 Swinger has the ECS tube in the trunk floor. I don't run across that many other 70 a-bodies that have it.

In California you do.. And thats where your car was originally intended for...
© 2024 Moparts Forums