Moparts

Rattle can primer

Posted By: zzyzxpat

Rattle can primer - 06/12/11 11:37 PM

Stupid question for you guys,
Is there a rattle can primer that I can use while sanding down to bare metal, repairing, and priming for future paint. I plan on painting it myself with a single stage paint. It will be a driver, and not looking for a show quality job. My thought was to do small areas as time permits. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Pat
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Rattle can primer - 06/13/11 02:11 AM

I have used SEM metal etching primer on many cars...Decent stuff and I have yet to see any ill effects.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Rattle can primer - 06/13/11 03:38 AM

Same here..SEM Self Etch... in a can.
Posted By: wicked

Re: Rattle can primer - 06/14/11 06:57 PM

Some topcoats react with spray bomb primers, and if this is currently a driver, really no primer is going to protect the metal for any length of time untill you step up to epoxy primer. exposed to weather you can develop rust under other types of primer
Posted By: zzyzxpat

Re: Rattle can primer - 06/15/11 04:06 AM

Thanks guys. The car is in the process of being restored. It is going as fast as I have money and time. It is pretty straight to begin with. I just thought I could do a little at a time and spray it with primer when completed.

Pat
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Rattle can primer - 06/15/11 01:12 PM

I would never use spray can primer of any kind under "REAL" body paint. I have seen it lift too many times. Get an air compressor and a gun and some epoxy primer and shoot it if you are going to do it yourself. Small investment for great results.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Rattle can primer - 06/15/11 02:55 PM

Here's an option that allows you to used the "good stuff" epoxy primer:

Preval Sprayer
(There's probably cheaper places to buy from.)

I agree with Mike... spray bomb primers aren't a good idea for under quality topcoats.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Rattle can primer - 06/15/11 08:43 PM

There are 2 part primers available in cans now. You do have to use the entire can in one shot however.

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-epoxy-primer-aerosol.html

Its much cheaper to buy a gun and mix it yourself though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums