Moparts

Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille

Posted By: UCUDANT

Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 05/27/11 11:52 PM

I need to strip a Cuda grille of its original argent paint and it needs to be color keyed to the car. I figure the best ways would be soda blasting with real low pressure and a large nozzle opening with a fair distance. Any easy home remedies?
Posted By: Quicksmopars

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 05/28/11 12:09 AM

I would try lots of laquer thinner and a small brush before I would go on it with any kind of blaster. Then sand the rest of the bumps off with sandpaper. Those grilles are extremely delicate. It's gonna be very time consuming to go from textured argent to body color, the other way around is much easier.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 05/28/11 03:45 AM

Quote:

I would try lots of laquer thinner and a small brush before I would go on it with any kind of blaster. Then sand the rest of the bumps off with sandpaper. Those grilles are extremely delicate. It's gonna be very time consuming to go from textured argent to body color, the other way around is much easier.

When I restore Cuda/Challenger, or A body grilles finished in Argent, it's best removed using Laquer thinner, on clean white rags, or brush for tight areas, don't dwell too long with the solvent in one area, it will soften the ABS grill areas/parts,...just work the entire grill until most of the argent is removed, then you can focus on concentrated/or hard to reach areas,...

Mike

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 05/28/11 05:53 PM

Thanks guys
Posted By: rexus31

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 05/30/11 03:16 PM

Oven cleaner works best to remove paint from plastic.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 05/30/11 03:29 PM

Quote:

Oven cleaner works best to remove paint from plastic.

Yea, it sure does, it also works well to remove plastic from plastic.

These grilles are made of ABS, ABS is more sensitive to solvents and other caustic chemicals than many other types of plastics (The "S" in ABS stands for styrene, ever put gasoline in a foam cup?).

Be careful what you put on that grille!
Posted By: N9671X2

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 05/31/11 03:05 AM

I had very little time into prepping this argent grill simply wetsanding it.

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 06/04/11 03:15 PM

Thanks I'll try that. What grit did you start with?
Posted By: N9671X2

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 06/04/11 08:09 PM

I THINK 400? No insult, but you will find your over thinking this once you grab a garden hose and some sand paper. I doubt I had 15 minutes into removing the argent. Buddy shot it in primer/b5 with a gun and turned out beautiful.

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 06/04/11 10:18 PM

THANKS again. I hope mine goes like yours did. I'll let you know. Hope to get to it this weekend

Re: Stripping paint from an Argent `Cuda grille - 06/08/11 03:24 AM

I test sanded a portion tonight and it went real fast...thanks again
© 2024 Moparts Forums