Moparts

Heater Box Housing Paint...Resto UPDATE ???s

Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Heater Box Housing Paint...Resto UPDATE ???s - 09/19/08 01:51 PM

My next project for the Challenger is the restoration of the Heater Box (non A/C car). I know YO sells a "kit" to paint the housing and I imagine that Eastwood does also.

Should I use one of those or is there a less expensive route? Car is not a All out show car but will be a REALLY nice occasional Driver.

Thanks, Joe
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 02:24 PM

I'm doing mine right now. Its a '71 B-Body box with A/C. I took mine apart, took it to the bath tub and gave it a bath. Then after its dried, I used a "clear" paint to brighten it up. No color or anything, just clear.
Posted By: AINTNRT

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 04:38 PM

Did the same thing to both my heater boxes. May not be 100% correct but looks good.
Posted By: A12bee

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 05:18 PM

I got this kit to redo the air grabber hoods I have for my 70 RR. I did a friends heater box on his 67 GTO and it came out really nice. May want to look into this stuff. Easy to use, at least it was for me.

http://www.restorationfullcircle.com/
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 05:31 PM

I painted mine and when I used the heater the paint bubbled and peeled.
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 05:36 PM

No paint needed.
If you can media blast it that works very well.
Afterwards apply a coat of satin clear and it will
look brand new.
You can also just wash it thoroughly and clear coat it.
Jules

Attached picture 4696794-ACHeaterBox033.jpg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 05:53 PM

I just pressure washed mine clean, no clear to flake off. My car is a driver.

A different box I did with a pressure washer.It was before I knew about 71TA gaskets. Made my own.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 05:59 PM

I'm curious, what type of media do you recommend blasting with Jules?

Tav

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 06:11 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think that I will powerwash it as Gary suggested and then clear it as others suggested. The box is in good shape so it may look fine doing that. If not, then I will try media blasting it.

Jules, if I had the budget for it...I would be sending anything to you that you could do. You do awesome work and are a great member of this board. Thanks for the advice.

I've got one of Jim Filmore's gasket kits for it and a new heater core. A tried to buy a new blower motor but the ones I found looked nothing like the original. A friend of mine says he has one he bought a while back that is like the original and is sending it to me. I'll post pics of it when it's done.

Thanks, Joe

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 06:13 PM

Quote:

I'm curious, what type of media do you recommend blasting with Jules?

Tav

I would think Bead. Am I right Jules? Joe
Posted By: Troy

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/19/08 10:03 PM

Quote:

No paint needed.
If you can media blast it that works very well.
Afterwards apply a coat of satin clear and it will
look brand new.

I have done them this way for a few years now.

Attached picture 4697322-carpetinstall(1)(Medium).jpg
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/20/08 12:02 AM

I use a mild acid solution used by detailers to remove brake dust off wheels.. Works extremely well, don't need to clear coat cause it shines without it...

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/20/08 12:08 AM

Quote:

I use a mild acid solution used by detailers to remove brake dust off wheels.. Works extremely well, don't need to clear coat cause it shines without it...

I use something similar, it's called J-Shop made by SC Johnson. It's alkaline and some powerful stuff, But you don't want it anywhere near alunimun. Spray it on and pressure wash off. It makes tires look brand new with out any dressing. Works good for these kinds of cleaning jobs.
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/20/08 02:31 AM

cataclysm80 ,
I use MIL-30 glass bead. It's like flour. It will clean without damaging the surface.
It will just scuff it enough so that the thin clear film I put on will not flake off.
The other methods are just as good.
Jules
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/20/08 05:01 PM

I haven't tried this on mine yet, but if you check a thread I started on Ramcharger airbox resto's the same material I used to rejuvenate the orange fiber-stuff used on those items I suspect will work for the black heater box material. It's Watco Danish Oil finish and it's a 'top coat' for wood surfaces. It is called an "oil" but once it is applied it dries to the touch, and of course it beautifies wood and brings the grain out...just happens to also beautify Ramcharger Airboxes.
Here's a link to that old thread.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/21/08 07:22 AM

Quote:

cataclysm80 ,
I use MIL-30 glass bead. It's like flour. It will clean without damaging the surface.
It will just scuff it enough so that the thin clear film I put on will not flake off.
The other methods are just as good.
Jules

Jules, what is the bead size for "MIL-30"? I usually use MIL-8 which is a bead size of .006-.008in diam.

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/25/08 06:51 PM

OK guys,

Heater box has been taken completely apart and the pieces are in pretty good shape overall. You can see in the pic that the heater core had a leak but I have a new one. I'm also in the process of getting a new blower motor.

The only item that I have not removed is this flap. To remove it, I will need to drill out the rivets for the bracket that holds it..correct? If so, who sells these type rivets? Jules..can I buy them from you if needed?

Thanks, Joe

Attached picture 4709807-heaterflap.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/25/08 08:55 PM

why do you need to take it out. i just did my box and left it in. I sandblasted the plates using cardboard to block the fiberglass body from the sand and then primed and paint the plate (using more cardboard to block the overspray.

then I glues new foam in that I got from some packages down in the shipping department and cut it to size and glued in with 3m pray adhesive (super 77 I believe).

Looks great
Posted By: metalgod

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/26/08 06:30 AM

they are not too hard to do

Attached picture 4711258-IM002236.JPG

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/26/08 01:30 PM

Quote:

why do you need to take it out.

This foam is in very bad shape and I want to replace it while I have it apart.

You guys are right, it is a pretty simple unit (mine being a HEATER ONLY box makes it more so). I bought one of Jim's (moparts member 71TA) gasket resto kits for it. I opened up what he sent me after I had torn into the box and was glad to see that some things that I figured weren't included were. It's a nice kit. Mopar Muscle recently did an article on Heater Box Resto and the person doing it got a few gaskets from YO and then cut the foam pieces for the rest. After seeing Jim's kit, can't believe they did not mention it in the article.

Joe

Attached picture 4711515-heaterflap2.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/26/08 03:49 PM

ok, that would explain it. if you didnt want to drill out the rivlets you could split the foam and install it and then glue it with some superglue I guess (if you were carefull)
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/26/08 04:41 PM

I just rebuilt my heater box (68 Charger) using one of Jims kits which in my opinion is the best gasket kit on the market. I dis-assembled my non a/c heater box, throughly cleaned it, painted the internal doors silver, and the metal fan plate gloss black. I replaced the heater core and I left the fiberglass box housing natural with no coatings on it and the whole assembly looks brand new, not to mention the musty smell is now gone!
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/26/08 04:52 PM

Quote:

... not to mention the musty smell is now gone!

I redid the box on my Road Runner. As well as replacing carpet, seat covers, foam, door panels and headliner. My wife was disappointed that the musty old car smell was gone. She said that was one of the things that makes the old cars neat. Maybe one day I'll leave the windows open while it rains a little, or something like that.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/26/08 04:59 PM

It's a nice kit. Mopar Muscle recently did an article on Heater Box Resto and the person doing it got a few gaskets from YO and then cut the foam pieces for the rest. After seeing Jim's kit, can't believe they did not mention it in the article.

Joe

I have a kit from Jim for my '71 B-Body with A/C. Probably they dont know that Jim makes a better kit. Plus, YO is the "Goliath". Just goes to show, that these magazines sometimes need to research for parts made by other people than just the giant companies.

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/26/08 09:56 PM

Hey JR,

Like Jules said, sometimes if the doors are too rusty you can glass bead the doors clean while there attached to the box. Light blasting won't hurt the box or only do the metal and stay away from the box as much as possible. It can be masked off just like if you were painting.Glass bead is very forgiving.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Heater Box Housing Paint...What should I use? - 09/27/08 01:09 AM

Quote:

My wife was disappointed that the musty old car smell was gone. She said that was one of the things that makes the old cars neat.

Old cars should all smell like mouldering upholstery and gasoline!

I always miss that when the resto is done. They should sell that smell in a bottle next to "new car smell" at the auto parts store.

Tav
© 2024 Moparts Forums