Moparts

Best OEM-type of shocks

Posted By: hemi68charger

Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/20/11 04:30 PM

Hey guys..
Looking to get a set of ft/rr shocks for the ole' 'Tona.. What are some recommendations? I haven't bought shocks in a coon-age and have probably gotten behind in technology...

Cheers,
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/20/11 05:33 PM

Koni's are the best shock made. Expensive though. Paint em black to appear original.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 02:36 AM

Quote:

Koni's are the best shock made. Expensive though. Paint em black to appear original.

Check out Hotchkis, they now carry Bilsteins for Mopars...
I have experience with both brands and prefer the Bilsteins...

www.hotchkis.net/

Just my $0.02..
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 03:30 AM

Edelbrocks are nice too. Way better than KYB's as far as ride goes. As stated above paint em black to look stock.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 03:32 AM

They're $400! I'm sure the Hotchkisd' are good but the front ones don't have a cover over the piston. The Edelbrocks have ugly rubber covers like those Big-Foot truck shocks. Can you still get Monroe-matics at the local auto parts?
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 04:12 AM

Quote:

They're $400! I'm sure the Hotchkisd' are good but the front ones don't have a cover over the piston. The Edelbrocks have ugly rubber covers like those Big-Foot truck shocks. Can you still get Monroe-matics at the local auto parts?

The Konis' are also expensive about $100 each, once you run the cheaper shocks and confirm their ride..
You will understand why they cost more...

Just my $0.02...

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 04:39 AM

I'd like to find decent shocks For my restoration that look like the original equipment? The ones on my RoadRunner came from YO about 6 years ago fir $100 for 4. It rides about the same as I remember in 1969. It's good enough since I don't put a lot of miles on it anyways.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 04:40 AM

On an otherwise stock vehicle, the expensive shocks are a total waste of time, IMO. You just won't see the benefit at all.

Actually, check a local AC Delco dealer/distributor(serious!). They had a line of shocks that I used on all mine and my customers cars. It's a gas charged shock, comes painted(maybe powder coated?) in a very correct looking shade of not too glossy/not too flat black. Peel the decal off and bolt them in. An additional feature of these shocks is that they come with a fine thread on the bayonet/stud end of the front shock so you can use the original style hardware and actually even resemble the Oriflows in a subtle way.

The only bad thing is that the last time I tried to buy a set, they were telling me they were "backordered with no availability date" so I don't know what that means . I would imagine there are still tons of these out there in the system though.....

MB
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 12:10 PM

I've used plain old monroe-matic gas shocks on every car I've worked on for the last 15 years. Never had a complaint with the ride or the look.

Peel the decal off, scuff them down with a scrotchbrite pad and paint'em.

On a side note,,,,,, a friend of mine has NOS hyd shocks under the various superseded part #'s
If you want to go the original direction.I'll ask if he has an extra set.
I know he's been using them on every car he's done and he has no complaints.
Before anyone asks, I do know he does NOT have any of the big money pt # sets avail, Ron Adair paid good money for every one of the good pt #'s years ago.

Attached picture 6595478-3.16.7small.jpg

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 01:30 PM

Quote:

I've used plain old monroe-matic gas shocks on every car I've worked on for the last 15 years. Never had a complaint with the ride or the look.

Peel the decal off, scuff them down with a scrotchbrite pad and paint'em.

On a side note,,,,,, a friend of mine has NOS hyd shocks under the various superseded part #'s
If you want to go the original direction.I'll ask if he has an extra set.
I know he's been using them on every car he's done and he has no complaints.
Before anyone asks, I do know he does NOT have any of the big money pt # sets avail, Ron Adair paid good money for every one of the good pt #'s years ago.

Thanks everyone..
No need in NOS for me.. Being that I'm going to be putting more miles on the Daytona, I can use good ole' fashion Monroe's.. I found this place that sells them at a great price.

http://www.monroeoutlet.com/

Cheers and I'll be pulling out the can of black..
Posted By: DGS

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 04:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Check out Hotchkis, they now carry Bilsteins for Mopars...
I have experience with both brands and prefer the Bilsteins...

www.hotchkis.net/

Just my $0.02..

Can you describe the difference between the two? Konis are twin-tube but adjustable, Bilsteins are mono-tube and non-adjustable...
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/21/11 09:28 PM

I got Monroes through Rockauto - look good after paint
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/22/11 02:12 AM

I did same thing got Monroes. They had no sticker on them. Scuffed them and painted them black.

Joe

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/22/11 04:43 AM

Just ordered 4 Monroes today...$80 including shipping. They'll do just fine.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/22/11 07:13 AM

Quote:

Actually, check a local AC Delco dealer/distributor(serious!). They had a line of shocks that I used on all mine and my customers cars. It's a gas charged shock, comes painted(maybe powder coated?) in a very correct looking shade of not too glossy/not too flat black. Peel the decal off and bolt them in.

Figures, the only dealer shown in my area is Advance Auto and they don't even show them!

Rock Auto doesn't have them either.

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/22/11 01:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, check a local AC Delco dealer/distributor(serious!). They had a line of shocks that I used on all mine and my customers cars. It's a gas charged shock, comes painted(maybe powder coated?) in a very correct looking shade of not too glossy/not too flat black. Peel the decal off and bolt them in.

Figures, the only dealer shown in my area is Advance Auto and they don't even show them!

Rock Auto doesn't have them either.

Try here...

http://www.monroeoutlet.com/

$13.00 Monro-Matic Plus;
Front

$13.00 Monro-Matic Plus;
Rear

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/22/11 02:04 PM

That's where I got mine but I think one was $19 and one was $13? In any case, they are not overpriced "restoratiion" parts!
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/23/11 01:10 PM

Great info. Thanks for posting that link Troy!
Posted By: Hotchkis

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/23/11 05:11 PM

Sinitro,

Thanks for including our name in this discussion.

Troy,

If your Daytona is lowered, you’re going to need shocks with the correct length. For our many of the Mopar applications we use specially designed Bilsteins to have the correct length, travel and tuned valving. If you want great quality shocks that are going to out perform an off-the-shelf shock, these are the ones you need. As a bonus, these shocks come black already! LINK
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/23/11 07:02 PM

Great shocks im shure Hotchkis, BUT they dont looks stock at all. I also used the Monro gas shocks and the ride is great and they were on sale at the local auto parts store for a total of 60 bucks for all 4 shocks. Paint em with Krylon 1613 semi black and yer good to go.

Attached picture 6598993-IMG_1418.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/23/11 08:16 PM

O'Reilly's carries the Monroe's.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/23/11 08:45 PM

Hotchkis tuned Bilsteins. Handling and performance much improved.
Posted By: LYMGTX

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 04/23/11 08:50 PM

Has anyone tried the KYB's? They have them at Advanced Auto Parts for about $35 each fronts and $48 each rears. In the market for some soon.
Posted By: skyhawk61

Re: Best OEM-type of shocks - 05/14/11 04:18 AM

Quote:

Has anyone tried the KYB's? They have them at Advanced Auto Parts for about $35 each fronts and $48 each rears. In the market for some soon.

The KYB shocks that were on my 70 Charger R/T when I bought it were far too stiff when there was only 1 person in the car. If you loaded it down with 4 good-sized people, then the ride was decent. I replaced them with the Monroe shocks being discussed and the ride was much improved.
© 2024 Moparts Forums