Moparts

Fender tags

Posted By: 572stealth

Fender tags - 09/16/08 10:30 PM

Is there anybody that makes fender tags?
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: Fender tags - 09/16/08 10:36 PM

Not tryin to be a smart a$$, but you will get many replies very shortly.

Good Luck,
Frank
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Fender tags - 09/16/08 11:25 PM

Check previous thread.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post4684737
Posted By: 572stealth

Re: Fender tags - 09/16/08 11:53 PM

Thanks for the info as always.
Posted By: rtse70

Re: Fender tags - 09/17/08 12:02 AM

This is the place I recommend to everyone wanting to get any documentation reproduced for their vehicles

GTS
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Fender tags - 09/17/08 12:27 AM

Quote:

This is the place I recommend to everyone wanting to get any documentation reproduced for their vehicles

GTS

Save your money and information. Go with A. G. Backeast. This is the guy that Galen sends your order to after he gets all the information from you concerning your car. Get the tag faster and cheaper without Galen as a middleman.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Fender tags - 09/17/08 04:01 PM

Quote:

GTS

Dave

Re: Fender tags - 09/18/08 10:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

GTS

Save your money and information. Go with A. G. Backeast. This is the guy that Galen sends your order to after he gets all the information from you concerning your car. Get the tag faster and cheaper without Galen as a middleman.

Update:
I just requested a replacement tag for my car from A. G. Backeast and supplied them with pictures of part of my broadcast sheet, my original fender and dash VIN tag. They came back saying my original fender tag didn't look original and they wanted a full picture of my broadcast sheet, pictures of the VIN stampings on the radiator support, cowl, engine and transmission and door VIN decal.

I think that this might be a reasonable request if I wanted a replacement dash VIN tag, but it is over the top for a fender tag.
I suspect he is mining for information to supply to Galen Govier.

How does a guy with only a dash VIN tag and radiator & cowl stampings get a fender tag made? BTW: I have all the information he requested, less the engine and trans stampings, neither is original to the car.

Has anyone else purchased fender tags from these people? What information did they want you to supply and what did you give them?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Fender tags - 09/18/08 10:49 PM

Snoopy, I believe you are correct on a couple of your assumptions. There is no reason for them to "require" any info from you about your car. What would be the point? Even thier best effort will still be recognizable as a reproduction due to subtle differences as compared to original tags.

Re: Fender tags - 09/18/08 11:10 PM

Scott,
It would be a different situation if I wanted them to make me a tag from scratch without the original tag, but I have the original tag and all they have to do is punch the information onto a new piece of metal. I doubt that they will duplicate the inspectors stamp that is visible on the original tag.
I wanted a replacement tag so I could put it on the car for shows and keep the original in a safe place. A couple of years ago a friend got his stolen off his car at a local show, I don't want to be in the same position.
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: Fender tags - 09/18/08 11:20 PM

I find it funny that they show a P.O. box in Co. but a Connecticut area code (860)
Ie "backeast tags"
I think for legal purpose they are redirecting their mail?

Re: Fender tags - 09/18/08 11:36 PM

(860) 877-4440 is a cell phone based in Meriden, CT.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Fender tags - 09/18/08 11:51 PM

How much do they charge?

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 12:19 AM

Quote:

How much do they charge?

They wouldn't tell me until I supplied the information they "Needed".
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 12:31 AM

IIRC- $100.per tag
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 04:38 AM

They really have tightened up in recent years. I doubt it was much over 3 years ago I ordered a fender tag from them, I gave him the information off my original tag, maybe a copy of my title(not certain about that) and a check for $45 postage paid IIRC, and I found my new tag waiting for me in the mail a week later.

Attached picture 4695902-tagvtag.jpg
Posted By: stateline

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 05:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

GTS

Dave [/quote
I ask the same question on here and was told to go to AG Back East - never heard back from him , got big bad Galen to do one for me .

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

GTS

Dave [/quote
I ask the same question on here and was told to go to AG Back East - never heard back from him , got big bad Galen to do one for me .

1) Do you have a Hemi car?

2) How many years did it take?

.....I guess he's bound to have a satisfied customer every once in a while.

Dave
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 04:41 PM

Quote:

I wanted a replacement tag so I could put it on the car for shows and keep the original in a safe place. A couple of years ago a friend got his stolen off his car at a local show, I don't want to be in the same position.

On this note, when I heard that tags were being stolen at shows, I decided to replace the two screws with two phillips bolts (with the same size head), and nylocks on the under side. Even for my 'lowly' BS23N car.

A simple screw driver and 5 seconds isn't going to get my tag. Problem solved

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

On this note, when I heard that tags were being stolen at shows, I decided to replace the two screws with two phillips bolts (with the same size head), and nylocks on the under side. Even for my 'lowly' BS23N car.

A simple screw driver and 5 seconds isn't going to get my tag. Problem solved

I was thinking that a blob of JB weld on the underside of mine would accomplish the same thing.

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 05:05 PM

Someone felt it was it was the right thing to do to steal my fender tag from my '70 charger. It's a 318 car for crying out loud
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 05:56 PM

Quote:

I was thinking that a blob of JB weld on the underside of mine would accomplish the same thing.

Cheers,
Dave

Thats what I did.

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 06:42 PM

Has anyone tried double sided tape? I would think that JB weld would be a little over kill.
I like Pacnorthcudas' idea. Simple and, if you could match the original screw head, undetectable.
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 08:52 PM

Someone got close to getting my TA's tags at the Nats this year. Came back to my car, and one screw is suddenly missing. Must have seen me coming back to my car. The dust would have been flying if I caught them. Would have really sucked, as I have no build sheet, V1G,FY4 T/A. I did DRIVE it almost 900 miles each way- but I highly doubt it fell out on its own. Guess I'll just pull them next time-
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 09:05 PM

Kirby--thats WAY too close. Don't remove the tags--you have the right to proudly display them. The bolts and nylocks makes removal a two hand / two tool operation that nobody would be prepared for or have the guts to attempt.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Fender tags - 09/19/08 11:12 PM

It's also a good idea to have a couple color photos of your tag and keep them with your title just in case.

I like the Nylock idea. You could even use some locktite on those, or drill them and safety wire them like on an airplane.

I know a guy that riveted his on, but I just don't like the look of that.

Tav
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Fender tags - 09/20/08 04:48 AM

I was LUCKY somebody stole the original fender tags off of the BARRELCUDA back when it was on the barrels.....only because the guy was newfee enough to send them to Galen Govier to have them decoded....YEARS later when I bought the car WITHOUT fender tags...I was surpirzed when Galen told me he had it on file and would contact the guy for me...The guy ended up GIVING them to me FREE of charge
Posted By: stateline

Re: Fender tags - 09/21/08 04:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

GTS

Dave [/quote

Dave

Dave - sorry I brought it up , didnt mean for you to bring out your crying towel again !!
Posted By: lakerism

Re: Fender tags - 09/21/08 05:38 PM

Snoopy, I have used AG Backeast. They are just covering their @ss and wan't to be sure. When I had them do my tag I sent them a photo of my tag, a COLOR high quality SCAN of my broadcast sheet and (important) use graph paper to list the codes as they appear on the tag (this way there is no mistakes). They don't need the VIN or any other proof.
Posted By: RangerDan440

Re: Fender tags - 09/22/08 12:46 AM

I took the fender tag off of my '68 R/T when I first heard of them being stolen a few years ago and replaced it with a fender tag from a '68 Valiant I was parting out that happened to be the same color, so at first glance it looks correct. I've gotten a few funny looks at shows and cruise nights

There's some real trolls out there

I thought about getting a replacement tag since the original is barely legible anyway, but whats the point? I cant see the fender tag when Im grabbing gears and there's a lot better way to spend a couple of hundred $$$ on the car

Re: Fender tags - 09/22/08 03:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

GTS

Dave [/quote

Dave

Dave - sorry I brought it up , didnt mean for you to bring out your crying towel again !!

No crying towel here. I just make sure that potential customers of his holiness know what to expect!

Dave

Re: Fender tags - 09/22/08 03:54 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried double sided tape? I would think that JB weld would be a little over kill.
I like Pacnorthcudas' idea. Simple and, if you could match the original screw head, undetectable.

I think you misunderstood; I was talking about a blob of JB weld on the tip of the screw from the underside to prevent it from being threaded out. A quick zap with a grinder would be all that was needed to remove the screws (if you ever needed to). The bolt and nut thing would work well too, although I imagine it would be hard (or perhaps impossible) to get the exact right head on a threaded machine screw.

Dave
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Fender tags - 09/22/08 04:24 PM

Some heat resistant Loctite will do the job, it will take a bit of heat to dislodge it later but no big deal.
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Fender tags - 09/22/08 07:03 PM

Where can I buy fake fender tags with the word CLONE in them at a reasonable price?
Posted By: newvcode

Re: Fender tags - 09/22/08 07:42 PM

Quote:

Where can I buy fake fender tags with the word CLONE in them at a reasonable price

AG Back East did my tag, the original of which which is in my safe deposit box. Too many friends lost theirs at cars shows and such.

Ritchie

Attached picture 4702874-tagsmall.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums