Moparts

correct turquoise engine paint

Posted By: watsonpoint

correct turquoise engine paint - 04/10/11 10:53 PM

Anyone know where to buy the correct turquoise paint for my 67 440? Thanks for any help
Posted By: topside

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/10/11 11:32 PM

MP is one, but buy a couple of extra cans; they're infamous for not spraying correctly. I'd bet Frank Badalson has it, as well as Totally Auto, Bill Hirsch, and Plastikote. I know the MP is the correct shade, and Hirsch's Chrysler Red is spot-on, but I can't verify the others as I haven't used them.
Posted By: wingman

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/10/11 11:54 PM

We painted my brother's 383 with the MP paint last year, and it was great.

It seemed to have a different label than MP stuff I had used in the past, but no probelms with being thin, runny, or faulty nozzles. Less than 2 cans to fully cover. Prob cound have done a thin coat withn 1.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 12:21 AM

The MP paint is way off.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 12:45 AM

Ive used Bill Hirsh Turquoise on several engines and I feel it "may" be a tiny bit too blue, but I really like it. I havent been able to compare it to a real/original turquoise unit but nobody has mentioned it being off. The paint takes some practice to get it to spray the way I want but I imagine everyone and every condition speaks to that preference. I get fantastic gloss out of the single stage paint everytime I shoot it.

please pardon the alreay replaced ratty hood insulation.

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 02:41 AM

Frank Badelson sells an excellent match sixpackfrank@aol.com

It's not rattle can paint, you'll need to shoot it with a gun, it's single stage Delstar Acrylic Enamel. I've used it and it matches original paint samples very closely.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 02:01 PM

Quote:

Ive used Bill Hirsh Turquoise

Man, Do you even start that engine? If my engine bay looked like that, I'd throw away the key...
Posted By: A12

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 06:12 PM

Quote:

Frank Badelson sells an excellent match sixpackfrank@aol.com

It's not rattle can paint, you'll need to shoot it with a gun, it's single stage Delstar Acrylic Enamel. I've used it and it matches original paint samples very closely.

This was done with Frank's (Badelson/Roger Gibson) engine paint. I like it because it was not (too) glossy.

MikeR

Attached picture 6579809-DSC02309rs.jpg
Posted By: ademon

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 06:31 PM

Hirsh paint

Attached picture 6579841-68RR3834-speed(60).jpg

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 06:34 PM

with 5k on it

Attached picture 6579844-68RR3834-speed(6).jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 06:44 PM

Quote:

with 5k on it

Exh. crossover open or blocked ?

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 07:00 PM

Blocked
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 10:32 PM

Quote:

Man, Do you even start that engine? If my engine bay looked like that, I'd throw away the key...

the picture is from summer 09 and theres about 7-10K miles on it then... I keep up on it and make sure it stays tight and clean up whenever something does seep out. The T-stat housing is my problem area along with keeping a close eye on the right side valvecover.
Posted By: rexus31

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/11/11 11:14 PM

Bill Hirsch:

Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/12/11 02:06 AM

I used rattle can turquoise from TotallyAutoInc on my '65 and '67 BB's. Even with separate orders for more, the color of the different paint batches matched up perfectly. No complaints here.
-Art
Posted By: 68_CONV_300

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/16/11 06:46 PM

had this mixed up by the local paint shop ... their paint mixing guru is a mopar guy, the paint is too shiny but holds up extremely well

here is is 6500 miles later when I installed the EZ EFI

Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: correct turquoise engine paint - 04/17/11 12:32 AM

MP done here on two rebuilds (440 and 383).
Depends on how the light hits it.
No problems here.

© 2024 Moparts Forums