Moparts

Street Hemi Orange paint

Posted By: hemi67

Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/08/11 08:13 PM

I am trying to touch up some areas of my 68 Hemi engine before it goes into the car. It was painted some years ago with the paint that Mopar offered at the time. The new street hemi orange they offer is way off in color compared to what is on there. I have tried the plastic Kote # 226, and the Duplicolor Hemi orange. Both are not even close. They are closer to Race hemi orange than street hemi orange. Does anybody offer the right shade of orange?

Thanks
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/08/11 09:58 PM

Frank Baldason (sp?) , but I think no matter what unless you can find someone with some old cans nothing is going to match the MP formula , I've never found anything that did . Yo might try going to a paint supplier with a part that comes off easily and see if they can do a computerized color match ?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/09/11 01:47 AM

Your 68 Street Hemi SHOULD be painted Race Hemi Orange (it's a lighter more pumpkin orange than the later 69-71 reddish Street Hemi Orange) so it sounds like you need to start from scratch anyway to get it back to correct.

I agree with John, Frank Badelson sells the best match I've seen out of a can. Frank calls it "Early Hemi Orange"

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/09/11 02:24 PM

Quote:

Your 68 Street Hemi SHOULD be painted Race Hemi Orange (it's a lighter more pumpkin orange than the later 69-71 reddish Street Hemi Orange) so it sounds like you need to start from scratch anyway to get it back to correct.

I agree with John, Frank Badelson sells the best match I've seen out of a can. Frank calls it "Early Hemi Orange"

Scott when you say "out of a can" , spray bombs ? The 440 I just painted with Plastikote used over 7 cans
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/09/11 02:41 PM

This is an example of the "early hemi orange" that Frank offers. It comes in quarts, not a spray bomb.

Jim

Attached picture 6576461-PB300436.JPG

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/09/11 02:51 PM

Quote:

This is an example of the "early hemi orange" that Frank offers. It comes in quarts, not a spray bomb.

Jim

Thanks , looks like incorrect spray bombs for me , you can't see an incorrectly painted engine at 105mph ...

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/09/11 04:25 PM

Chrysler offers spray bombs in Race Hemi Orange (they used to anyway) it's pretty close in shade but the stuff I bought comes out of the can as thin as water and as mentioned takes a ton of it to get good coverage. I wouldn't reccomend it but at least it's close to the right color as opposed to Street Hemi Orange.

Frank sells his in cans (not spray bombs), it goes on very nicely, I use a touch up gun and give it one light coat followed by one moderate coat over bare (very clean) cast iron and it works fantastic
Posted By: ademon

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/10/11 07:52 AM

got a pic of it Scott, here is the original street hemi orange on my 340

Attached picture 6577713-71Demon340(79)(640x480).jpg
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/10/11 12:18 PM

Hello Get your paint from Frank!!!!!!!!It is the best, also if you can fine any of the old mopar paint with the last three number ending in 216 and not 216 A/B.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/10/11 02:00 PM

Here are examples of "early" and "late" Hemi orange.

Attached picture 6577854-MVC-004F.JPG
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/10/11 02:01 PM

A shot for better contrast.

Attached picture 6577855-MVC-005F.JPG
Posted By: hemi67

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/10/11 07:34 PM

Thanks to all for your help. Do I order the paint that Frank sells through Roger Gibson??
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/10/11 08:08 PM

yes...do you have the link?

Re: Street Hemi Orange paint - 04/10/11 08:22 PM

sixpackfrank@aol.com
© 2024 Moparts Forums