Moparts

YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool!

Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool! - 03/29/11 05:32 PM

About time.

Saw it on e-bag (do a search for it).

I'd love for someone to do a side-by-side comparo with an original.

$500 ain't too bad actually.

Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool! - 03/29/11 05:39 PM

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool! - 03/29/11 05:39 PM

Rim blow switch alone is like $200 not installed (which I hear is not fun to install!).

Put on a BE&A cap on there and you're set!

Here's a $4,000 NOS one:

Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 12:35 AM

I think I saw those a month or so ago on Ebay and IIRC it says they do not guarantee that the horn will blow when you press the rimblow part.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 01:27 AM

70/74 CUDA CHALLENGER RIMBLOW STEERING WHEEL MOPAR NEW
Posted By: The Dodge Guy

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 03:43 AM

Yaaa Buddddy? What a New Jersy accent you have!
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 03:57 AM

Wow. My car just depreciated $500.
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 04:27 AM

Has anyone actually seen / purchased one of these?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 05:07 AM

Quote:

There's the $500.00 question
Posted By: sixpaktoogo

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 05:18 AM

Quote:

I bought one of their first ones, which had three cracks on the backside black plastic. They advertized it as not knowing if it was a reproduction or not! What a crock! At the time they had not advertized them as reproductions on ebay. I got it for $167, with a horn switch. Here's my take on them, and I have restored many of these over the years.

(1) Horn switch was no good because who ever tried to install it, put about 30 bends in it, trying to get it in the grooves.

(2) Grooves for the horn switch were full of glue from when the top and bottom were assembled.

(3) Top part is made from some sort of pressed wood board, not plastic as original! It's also painted with brown paint!

(4) The spokes look fairly good, however, where they meet the black backside, they are lower than originals, which makes not only the horn switch contact (grounded side) not touch the spoke, but also a horn switch cover doesn't fit down far enough (even after I sanded some of the edge of it off), and leaves a gap between the cover and the spoke.

I repaired the cracks, woodgrained the topside, sanded out the switch grooves and installed a new switch, and put on the chrome Mylar band. Looks real nice now, with the exception of the gap between the switch cover and the spoke.

Do I think the ones on ebay are worth $495? In a word NO! Typical repro part that could have been real nice if they would have taken the time to research an original.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 05:30 AM

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought one of their first ones, which had three cracks on the backside black plastic. They advertized it as not knowing if it was a reproduction or not! What a crock! At the time they had not advertized them as reproductions on ebay. I got it for $167, with a horn switch. Here's my take on them, and I have restored many of these over the years.

(1) Horn switch was no good because who ever tried to install it, put about 30 bends in it, trying to get it in the grooves.

(2) Grooves for the horn switch were full of glue from when the top and bottom were assembled.

(3) Top part is made from some sort of pressed wood board, not plastic as original! It's also painted with brown paint!

(4) The spokes look fairly good, however, where they meet the black backside, they are lower than originals, which makes not only the horn switch contact (grounded side) not touch the spoke, but also a horn switch cover doesn't fit down far enough (even after I sanded some of the edge of it off), and leaves a gab between the cover and the spoke.

I repaired the cracks, woodgrained the topside, sanded out the switch grooves and installed a new switch, and put on the chrome Mylar band. Looks real nice now, with the exception of the gap between the switch cover and the spoke.

Do I think the ones on ebay are worth $499? In a word NO! Typical repro part that could have been real nice if they would have taken the time to research an original.

And there you have it!

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 06:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

(4) The spokes look fairly good, however, where they meet the black backside, they are lower than originals, which makes not only the horn switch contact (grounded side) not touch the spoke, but also a horn switch cover doesn't fit down far enough (even after I sanded some of the edge of it off), and leaves a gap between the cover and the spoke.

Do I think the ones on ebay are worth $495? In a word NO! Typical repro part that could have been real nice if they would have taken the time to research an original.

Ya sure it's the same manufacturers? I don't see any gap here:

I asked the seller whether the wood-part is plastic or wood and if they would guarantee that the horn switch works.

We'll see...

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 08:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I asked the seller whether the wood-part is plastic or wood and if they would guarantee that the horn switch works.

We'll see...

Yeah, I'm sure. Maybe they made some adjustments since the first ones. I know Plumbeeper repaired one of the first ones as well. Send him a PM, and see what he says.
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 12:19 PM

Did Chrysler make the original rimblows in-house, or was it sourced from an outside vendor?
Posted By: mccannix

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 12:44 PM

Quote:

Did Chrysler make the original rimblows in-house, or was it sourced from an outside vendor?

Rimblow wheels as well as several other wheels were manufactured for Chrysler by the company Shellar-Globe in Ohio.
Got one NOS rimblow wheel in the box from them in early 80's.
Zero inventory left and today they wouldn't even know what you were talking about were someone to contact them.
Posted By: ademon

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 04:27 PM

Can they even sell that to the public saying the horn might not work??

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 05:09 PM

Here's what I got:

Dear ragtopdodge, Hi, it is real wood , and the switch does not work, we have been working 3 three years on this project and the company could not get the horn switch right. Some of the guys were after us to get them out as they are so we put them up at a reduced cost and stated in the add that the switch doesn't work. We are working with a locla guy on the switch with little success so far . Thanks - stripeclassics

Oh well.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 06:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueywqUBW3oM&feature=related
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/30/11 08:54 PM

Quote:

No different than selling a wheel without a tire...

You can get the rimblow and maybe this will work from Shaker..

http://shakerhood.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=163

Posted By: Ashsdad

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/31/11 02:46 AM

Quote:

Rimblow wheels as well as several other wheels were manufactured for Chrysler by the company Shellar-Globe in Ohio.

I actually work for the company that absorbed/bought Shellar-Globe. Trust me, there is no one there that would even know what you are talking about! I think the longest serving people in our steering wheel group only have about 15 years in...

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 03/31/11 06:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No different than selling a wheel without a tire...

You can get the rimblow and maybe this will work from Shaker..

http://shakerhood.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=163

The switch doesn't work because they are ruining them trying to jamb them in a groove filled with glue! The ruined switch in the wheel I bought was obviously one of Ben Snobar's. Buying another won't help, unless the glue filled grove is addressed!
Posted By: plumbeeper

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 04/03/11 04:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We'll see...

Yeah, I'm sure. Maybe they made some adjustments since the first ones. I know Plumbeeper repaired one of the first ones as well. Send him a PM, and see what he says.

A customer sent one to me last fall just to put a new switch in it. It had basically all of the same problems. I sure hope they have improved it since then.

Dave
Posted By: vrroom

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool! - 08/19/11 06:06 PM

Can anyone tell me what company makes this and how to contact them? By the way who is IIRC? Thanks.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool! - 08/19/11 06:08 PM

Quote:

By the way who is IIRC? Thanks.

IIRC means if I recall Correctly......
Posted By: vrroom

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool! - 08/19/11 06:32 PM

LOL! oh... I though it was some company initials or something. Guess I need to get up to speed on my discussion board lingo. Thanks man.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool! - 08/19/11 06:34 PM

Happy to help, I even refrained from adding a ...
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool! - 08/19/11 06:56 PM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me what company makes this and how to contact them?

StripeClassics is the company. Here's a link...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200640135468

Hope this helps.
Ray
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Cool! - 08/23/11 02:48 AM

I bought one and sent it back, it is not even close to what one looks like as far as i was concerned.
Posted By: TinCuda

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 01/06/12 09:20 AM

Wow,

I can't wait to get back my real rimblow from Plumbeeper.

I am just kind of excited about it. It was a gift from my wife.

Posted By: radiatorman

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 01/06/12 03:05 PM

I had Doug Lepak do my wheel. WOW!!!! is it friggen nice! No Doubt I would use him again. Looked at some of the repros and for about the same cash I got an artist to do mine. Couldn't be happier!

Bob
Posted By: jeff968

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 01/06/12 05:27 PM

Quote:

Looked at some of the repros and for about the same cash I got an artist to do mine.

One of the repos sold on eBay last week for $306. Is that what you paid for your resto?
Posted By: TinCuda

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 01/06/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looked at some of the repros and for about the same cash I got an artist to do mine.

One of the repos sold on eBay last week for $306. Is that what you paid for your resto?

My wife bought mine from ebay for around $100. It was in pretty beat up shape with everything missing but the wheel. The horn switch and center cap where gone etc. Plumbeeper's resto is going to cost me just north of 7 bones. I would think that mine would be the worst case scenario. It sounds a little pricy, but at the end of the day, I will have a wheel worth $1500 plus that I paid a little over $800 for. This sounds like a lot more then the $300 repo, but I will have the real thing. I am not knocking the repo because I have never seen one.

His prices are listed on his web site.

http://www.rimblowsteeringwheels.com/

Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: YAAA BUDDY! Re-pop rim blow steering wheels? Coo - 01/06/12 09:26 PM

Quote:

I had Doug Lepak do my wheel. WOW!!!! is it friggen nice! No Doubt I would use him again. Looked at some of the repros and for about the same cash I got an artist to do mine. Couldn't be happier!

Bob

I bought my rimblow wheel from Micael Mordarski,a very nice guy,he did a very nice restortion of the steeringwheel also..He told me afterwards i was the last guy outside usa to buy a steeringwheel from him..The shipping to sweden was around 240$! Lucky for me the shipping was included

Attached picture 7004608-IMG_5834.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums