Moparts

Distributor Help

Posted By: 19cuda73

Distributor Help - 03/06/11 12:42 AM

I have 2 340 motors. One is original to the car and the other is also a motor built in late 72. It has been rebuilt and upgraded. I was getting ready to install my distributor today and pulled both of them out and noticed one has the vac advance and the other has a block off plate. Would anyone happen to know why both of these parts (same part number and build date) are of different configurations? This blockoff plate appears to have been factory installed. Not sure? Has anyone come accross this before.

Attached picture 6512353-Distributor004.jpg

Re: Distributor Help - 03/06/11 12:44 AM

A shot of the block off plate.

Attached picture 6512357-Distributor005.jpg
Posted By: Kowal

Re: Distributor Help - 03/06/11 01:09 PM

The block off plate, though well done, isn't factory.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Distributor Help - 03/06/11 01:34 PM

OEM dists with dual pick-up coils had vac adv block off plates. They were found on motors with ESA (electronic spark control). The ESA controled spark advance so the vac pod wasn't needed. Like already noted, that one looks home grown.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Distributor Help - 03/06/11 05:49 PM

Quote:

It's not ? I haven't seen one but why would someone go thru the trouble of adding both vac pod locating holes (big block and small block ) on something home grown ?
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Distributor Help - 03/07/11 03:53 AM

My guess is... they wanted to make sure no one hooked a hose up to it because of the modifications done to it... advance plate and or advance weight springs.
That's the only reason I can of..
Posted By: Kowal

Re: Distributor Help - 03/07/11 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's not ? I haven't seen one but why would someone go thru the trouble of adding both vac pod locating holes (big block and small block ) on something home grown ?

I have seen some pretty nice block off plates still sold today. Show car maybe? High end speed shop worked over the motor "back in the day"?

Re: Distributor Help - 03/09/11 06:34 AM

Took the original one apart yesterday will do the modified distributor today. Cleaning up the parts.

Attached picture 6519734-Distributor014.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Distributor Help - 03/09/11 04:54 PM

Your nylon collar will probably break when you put it back together.

Lowe's has ones that fit perfectly on the shaft for .99 made by Hillman.

Re: Distributor Help - 03/09/11 05:10 PM

Quote:

Your nylon collar will probably break when you put it back together.

Lowe's has ones that fit perfectly on the shaft for .99 made by Hillman.

Thank you I will check that out and pick two up.
Dennis

Re: Distributor Help - 03/10/11 03:37 AM

Took the other original unit apart with the block off plate and found the counter weights to be stock (Like the other unit) but the plates were screwed together.

Attached picture 6521507-Distributor023.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums