Moparts

68 B Body Torque Boxes

Posted By: R6T8net

68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/16/08 11:59 AM

On 68 Dodge B bodies, what options dictated torque boxes? 4 SPD's, Hemi's, verts? Thanks.
Posted By: 68CoronetRT

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/16/08 01:54 PM

My 4 speed car has them. Not sure about the rest.
Posted By: notforsale440

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/16/08 06:25 PM

are we talking at the front of the leaf springs? i have a friends 68 gtx 4 speed car here.....rough, but all original. all body numbers match..... it does not have torque boxes. looks just like the auto cars........can you post a pic of what you call a torque box?
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/16/08 06:32 PM

The boxes were used on converts and Hemis.
Posted By: BarrsRestoration

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/17/08 02:03 AM

Quote:

are we talking at the front of the leaf springs? i have a friends 68 gtx 4 speed car here.....rough, but all original. all body numbers match..... it does not have torque boxes. looks just like the auto cars........can you post a pic of what you call a torque box?

Right side torque box, 68 Hemi/automatic Road Runner post coupe.

Steve
www.clarkclassic.com

Attached picture 4432503-100_3590.jpg
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/20/08 05:04 AM

my 4-speed R/T convertible has them

"Who is John Galt?"
The man who stopped the world from Atlas Shrugged.

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/20/08 02:09 PM

Quote:

my 4-speed R/T convertible has them

My 68 Coronet R/T is a factory 440 4 speed and it has the torque boxes. I was thinking that since the R/T came stock with a 440 and the only option was the Hemi that all of them received the torque boxes but it may have been limited to 4 speeds and convertibles.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/20/08 02:17 PM

Aside from factory screw ups (and there were plenty) the applications were as follows.

1966-1970 B-body Torque Box applications:

All Hemi hard tops: Rear Torque Boxes with Inside Reinforcement Plates & Rear Leaf Spring Plates

All non Hemi convertibles: Front & Rear Torque Boxes, no Rear leaf Spring Plates & no inside torque box reinforcement plates.

All Hemi Convertibles: Front & Rear Torque Boxes, Inside Torque Box Reinforcement Plates & Rear Leaf Spring Plates.

*In addition, most Hemi cars (hard top & convertible) recieved Pinion Snubber Reinforcement Plates, I've seen more on 4 speed cars, but also on automatics as well, seemed to be hit or miss on those.

*I have observed some original examples of non Hemi cars with torque boxes, especially during the 1970 model year. I've seen them on 440+4, 440+6 cars, as well as a few 383 cars. 440+6 was probably intentional but it was still hit or miss, non 6 pack cars such as /6, 318, 383, and 440+4 cars were likey just factory production errors.

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/20/08 04:43 PM

Thanks for the information. My car must be a factory screw up because I have all of the things you list for the Hemi car application but all the numbers verify a 440.
No Complaints here!

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/20/08 05:01 PM

Please post pics of the various parts on your 68, I'd like to see what they look like.
Posted By: rocketresto

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/20/08 05:55 PM

Scotts list above is correct for what should get boxes but I have an oddball '68 383 Road Runner with front torque boxes. It is also missing ALL the spot welds from the inner fender to shock tower and inner fender to core support, I guess someone at the factory added the torque boxes to make up for the lack of welds in the front end.
Mike

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/20/08 08:48 PM

Here's what I have:

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/20/08 09:39 PM

Based on what I can see in those pics yours are authentic, thanks for posting the pics.

As I mentioned before, the factory was hit or miss on the applications, your car definately benifitted by thier mistake(s) your non Hemi car has all of the "Hemi" correct pieces. Yours is only the second example of a non Hemi car (the other was a 440 1968 GTX) that Ive ever seen that has the "Hemi only" Rear Leaf Spring Support Plates.

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 05/20/08 11:19 PM

Quote:

Based on what I can see in those pics yours are authentic, thanks for posting the pics.

As I mentioned before, the factory was hit or miss on the applications, your car definately benifitted by thier mistake(s) your non Hemi car has all of the "Hemi" correct pieces. Yours is only the second example of a non Hemi car (the other was a 440 1968 GTX) that Ive ever seen that has the "Hemi only" Rear Leaf Spring Support Plates.

Believe me I have tried very hard to wish a J into the VIN. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 06/08/08 02:36 AM

Quote:

Believe me I have tried very hard to wish a J into the VIN.

I have tried that many times with no luck. My GTX doesn't even have the torque boxes and the rest of my cars are mostly 1970+ A-bodies. I'd settle for just opening the hood and finding a HEMI in there one day, even if it isn't in the VIN...
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 06/09/08 05:57 PM

I am converting my 70 Challenger to a small tire ladder bar car or may even go four link. Would torque boxes do any good since the chassis stress points are now going to be located in different locations? Should I put them in anyway to help chassis stiffness. By the way the car will have 25.5 12 point cage with a funny car hoop.

Re: 68 B Body Torque Boxes - 06/09/08 06:32 PM

Quote:

I am converting my 70 Challenger to a small tire ladder bar car or may even go four link. Would torque boxes do any good since the chassis stress points are now going to be located in different locations? Should I put them in anyway to help chassis stiffness. By the way the car will have 25.5 12 point cage with a funny car hoop.

Try this post in race only and you'll get some good information.
© 2024 Moparts Forums