Moparts

Painting a Steering Wheel?

Posted By: a6t9vette

Painting a Steering Wheel? - 01/23/11 02:56 PM

I picked up a dark brown wheel for my 69 RR, and looking to freshen it up and change color to black. I dont think I could get a good/durable finish on it with a rattle can so was planning on taking to a local shop to have them spray it. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations on what paint to use, or what finish? Rather then the shop doing some trial and error I was hoping someone has done this.

Note this is the base model wheel (no center triangle), just your basic 3 spoke wheel.
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Painting a Steering Wheel? - 01/23/11 03:21 PM

I would use rattle-can SEM Landau Black...couple of nice thin coats...If you're worried about it wearing off, you could add a couple of coats of SEM semi-gloss clear.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Painting a Steering Wheel? - 01/23/11 04:52 PM

Clean it well, scuff it with a scotchbright pad and use a high quality vinyl & plastic spray paint.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Painting a Steering Wheel? - 01/23/11 05:12 PM

Quote:

Clean it well, scuff it with a scotchbright pad and use a high quality vinyl & plastic spray paint.

With both of you guys...do it yourself, your'll be glad you did. Have fun.
Posted By: plumbeeper

Re: Painting a Steering Wheel? - 01/23/11 07:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

With both of you guys...do it yourself, your'll be glad you did. Have fun.

If you want to use SEM or any other good rattle can paints, the key to making them stick is proper preparation. Use the SEM vinyl/plastic cleaner before and after sanding or scuffing.

If you don't trust yourself, you can have your body shop paint it with the same thing they use for painting flexible bumper covers. The paint they use has added flex agents and binders just for painting this type of material.

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums