Moparts

Rust Question

Posted By: moparpollack

Rust Question - 09/07/08 03:33 AM

For small surface rust repair what's the best method? My Dart has small spots from rock chips over the years. I don't want to cut a solid rocker out for a small amount of surface rust. Yet I am scared it will come back thru the new paint. What's the best method grinding it out and then acid etch primer and metal glaze over the acid etch primer???
Posted By: Kingy

Re: Rust Question - 09/07/08 04:15 AM

I'd Grind it as clean as I can then treat it with a phosphoric acid based metal prep (PPG DX520, Ospho, Pickelex etc.) scrubbing with a scotch brite pad, wipe it off, when dry apply 2 coats of a good epoxy primer.

It works.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Rust Question - 09/07/08 04:19 AM

Great looks like another trip to the paint store. I think they have a $35 minimum charge.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Rust Question - 09/07/08 04:27 AM

Just go to your local hardware store & get some Metal Etch, it will be near the paint...After grinding/sanding away as much as is reasonable I spray the area with Metal Etch & scrub it throughly with a Scotchbrite then I prefer to wipe it down with a few rags soaked with laquear thinner... After that prime & do your normal prep..
Posted By: Neil

Re: Rust Question - 09/07/08 04:35 PM

You can use a small dremel cutting bit to dig rust of of small pits the same way a dentist digs out a cavity. If you have a lot of surface area to cover get a small spot blasting gun from eastwood.

When you wipe metal prep over rust it turns darker than the surrounding metal. Keep going until the dark spots are gone.
© 2024 Moparts Forums