Moparts

Need help to figure out what casting date I need

Posted By: GLR

Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/18/11 03:07 AM

Hello, I have a 1970 Road Runner 440-6 car that I got a few years ago...less engine. I want to try and put it back as close as I can to original so I am on the hunt for a 440 block.
The build date on the data tage reads "A O 1" which from what I understand is; October 1st 1969 ?
So I need an engine block at least a month or more? before the build date correct?
Also The car is a Lynch road built car and I wanted to know where the block would have been cast and how close the assembly date would have been on the engine...to the build date?
Any help would be appreacated.
Thanks!
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/18/11 03:17 AM

Personally, I'd look for another "0A" vin'd 440 block as close to your VIN# as possible. That way you'd know it came from a similar origin 1970 440+6 Super Bee, Road Runner or 440+4/440+6 GTX, Coronet R/T.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/18/11 03:17 AM

Engine assembly date could be anywhere from 6 weeks to just a week or sometimes days to the cars SPD. I've had variances in those ranges. Casting dates can be way before assembly dates. Also remember the date on the tag is a scheduled production date so the car may have been actually built on a different day. More confusion to the mix. Rule of thumb, for me anyways, is get within few weeks and good to go.
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/18/11 03:22 AM

Are you sure A01 isn't Light Package?

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/18/11 03:41 AM

The data tag has AO1 on the second line up from the bottom and is just above VOA of my VIN number
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/18/11 03:50 AM

Just kidding....

If you can find an F440 HP with an EAD of August-Sept you would be doing well. I know wrong is wrong but at least you are in the ballpark with the "correct vintage" engine.
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/18/11 04:01 AM

Quote:

Personally, I'd look for another "0A" vin'd 440 block as close to your VIN# as possible. That way you'd know it came from a similar origin 1970 440+6 Super Bee, Road Runner or 440+4/440+6 GTX, Coronet R/T.

Customer of mine did this with his Hemi car...paid a bit of a premium over "just any old Hemi" but he not only found a R0A, but he also matched the first three digits of the sequence number....about as close to having the correct wrong block as you're going to get
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/20/11 10:14 PM

Quote:

....about as close to having the correct wrong block as you're going to get

I had to read that twice!
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/20/11 10:44 PM

Quote:

correct wrong block

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/21/11 03:05 PM

Thank you to everyone !
Now I just need to find atr least a block...the search is on..
Posted By: jaycuda

Re: Need help to figure out what casting date I need - 01/24/11 12:16 AM

Here is some good info to gauge as far as vin # to date . I have a 440-6 motor out of a 70 v-code roadrunner vin # is A0125336 casting date is 8-12-69 assembly date is 9-18 hp2 . Hope This helps .If anyone is interested I will sell it. The top end I sold years ago. The bottom end is standard bore never apart true pack motor.
© 2024 Moparts Forums