Moparts

Who restores hinges for a respectable price?

Posted By: cdp

Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/11/08 11:56 PM

Need to restore my 69-b-body hinges. Who is reliable and competitive?

Thanks
CDP
Posted By: TWS

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 12:43 AM

RestoRick Hood Hinge Rebuilding
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 12:48 AM

Quote:

Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 02:08 AM

I third Resto Rick-with some other places you may wait MONTHS!
Posted By: fluegelmeister

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 02:34 AM

I used SMS. They did a good job and they were pretty fast. I am happy with their service.
Barry

SMS Auto
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 11:33 AM

ID USE RESTO RICK,i was SMS' 1st customer with my 68 rr hinges, very fast turn around ,gave them my steering column last year and it took forever to get it back.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 12:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks
CDP

Took me about 1 hour with resto ricks kit. Get the drill and reamer.
Posted By: dart_sportsatellite

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 02:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 05:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
CDP

Took me about 1 hour with resto ricks kit. Get the drill and reamer.

We are talking door hinges here, right?

That's what I was thinking, I would never "send them out" for something I could do in a hour or so. I'm sure resto Rick would do a good job, but the pins and bushings can be bought at any auto parts store anywhere. No big deal if you ask me.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 06:29 PM

Thanks for all the kind words!

I'm not sure if the original poster was inquiring about hood or door hinges.

On the door hinges I have a couple points to add...
my kits have pins & bushings for the top hinge.
For the lowers, an oversized pin to allow the hinge to be reamed oversize. (Reamers available as well.)
Also included are new "S" springs which you won't find at a local parts store that I'm aware of.

Below is a picture of a pin & wavy washer that I'll be offering separately soon as well....
this is for replacing the detent roller pins & wavy washers. On more severely worn out hinges, often the pin becomes worn and allows the roller to move around. This will cause the S-spring to ride up against the pin head and messes up the detent feature. (These are what hold the door in the 2 different open positions and keeps it from swinging back closed.)
Also, the wavy washer sometimes is corroded, missing or failing, which leaves the roller loose.

I don't do a ton of door hinge rebuilds because as mentioned, it is quite easy and hence the pin kit I sell. For door hinges where the detent rollers are in poor shape, I'm getting sets to do.
For repairing these, the new pins have to be spot welded in place.

Rick

Attached picture 4422464-DoorHingeRollerDetentPin_1_1_1.JPG
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/12/08 06:42 PM

RestoRicks products are second to none so I can imagine his componet restoration has the same level of quality. I've personally never had him restore hinges for me.

That being said.....

I give a giant two thumbs up to Sylvain at SMS... Great product with a fast turn around and a reasonable price.
The hinges, both hood and door come back looking and working like brand new.

Attached picture 4422484-VinceMARCH2008(0).JPG

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/13/08 02:08 AM

Sorry, Yep door hinges. My car is an A12. Hood hinges didn't come to mind. I thought I saw repair kits somewhere. Coulnd't remember where. I'll get ahold of Rick and pick up some more undercoat as well. I think with the parts, I can do it myself.

My rollers and pin need replaced. Thats what I'm really after, but will probably restore them top to bottom.

Thanks

Chris
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 05/13/08 02:15 AM

Resto Rick did my door hinges. Mine were extremely worn.....I wanted all the parts replaced, I looked them over closely and it was beyond a simple bushing replacement. Quick turn around and they look great.
Posted By: Red383

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 06/30/08 03:56 PM

Edit: Nevermind, looks like my link is not there anymore. I have that page saved somewhere. I'll have to find it.

Try this:

http://www.lamopar.com/How%20To's/Door%20Hinges/index1.htm

Seems like a pretty god step by step rebuild.

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 07/01/08 11:43 AM

Thanks! I wound up sending them to RestoRick. Sounded like the best option to me and I also need some of his resto parts too.

CDP
Posted By: klunick

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 07/01/08 01:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the kind words!

I'm not sure if the original poster was inquiring about hood or door hinges.

On the door hinges I have a couple points to add...
my kits have pins & bushings for the top hinge.
For the lowers, an oversized pin to allow the hinge to be reamed oversize. (Reamers available as well.)
Also included are new "S" springs which you won't find at a local parts store that I'm aware of.

Below is a picture of a pin & wavy washer that I'll be offering separately soon as well....
this is for replacing the detent roller pins & wavy washers. On more severely worn out hinges, often the pin becomes worn and allows the roller to move around. This will cause the S-spring to ride up against the pin head and messes up the detent feature. (These are what hold the door in the 2 different open positions and keeps it from swinging back closed.)
Also, the wavy washer sometimes is corroded, missing or failing, which leaves the roller loose.

I don't do a ton of door hinge rebuilds because as mentioned, it is quite easy and hence the pin kit I sell. For door hinges where the detent rollers are in poor shape, I'm getting sets to do.
For repairing these, the new pins have to be spot welded in place.

Rick

A big thumbs up to you Rick. I used the kit and it worked like a charm. Thank's for the quick turn around on the parts. Kirk
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 07/01/08 03:36 PM

Hey Rick-Can I use the kit for '71 B-bodies?

Attached picture 4523628-imag_84.jpg
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Who restores hinges for a respectable price? - 07/01/08 05:08 PM

Unfortunately the 71-up B-bodies have a different style detent setup and require different parts.
I've been trying to get a kit put together for them.

Rick
© 2024 Moparts Forums