Moparts

SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them?

Posted By: gomangoRTSE

SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/10/11 05:33 AM

My emblems dont look bad. The chrome is fine on them, but the red, white and blue on them look a bit haggard. Anyone have a gameplan on restoring these? It just isnt quite the same if you just try and paint them.
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/10/11 11:34 PM

Do yours have the pebbled plastic over the paint? What year/type car?

Do they look like this one?

Attached picture 6409432-jbRTSELOGO-b.jpg

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/10/11 11:47 PM

1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE. Not looking at it right now, but I dont think it does have that pebbled look. I may be mistaken, but I dont think so.

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/11/11 12:04 AM

I have 2 - 70 Challenger RT/SE's and they both have the pebbled plastic emblems. I think the ones without were for later B-Bodies but I'm not 100% positive on that.

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/11/11 02:07 AM

Hmm you have my interest. I gotta go out the garage and find these things. I have them in a baggie. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/11/11 02:11 AM

Hmmmm - I would have to wear a parka to go out to the garage up here!
Posted By: MrNormTA

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/11/11 03:01 PM

Talk about making a grown man cry, my car had 2 perfect original emblems with it from the car. After getting it home I found them and was putting them up for safe keeping when I bumped my hand on the door knob and 1 hit the floor. Broke off 1 of the side pieces. I don't think it could be repaired.
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/11/11 04:57 PM

The Challenger SE emblems originally had a clear, smooth coating over the red white and blue. The texturing or pebbling in the finish found on most remaining original examples occured as a result of exposure to the elements.

I had a set of what must have been very early NOS pieces that had this clear untextured finish. Later NOS and reproduction emblems do not have the clear coating at all.

A while back I enquired about restoring a set of original emblems at www.emblemagic.com. They quoted a price of I believe $200-$300 to restore the emblems including paint and the clear coating over the red white and blue. Since I had found the NOS emblems I didn't follow through so I can't comment on what the finished pieces would look like.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/12/11 02:19 AM

Not sure if he still does them, but RestoRick did mine. Just needed to add the black detail paint to the middle area and inside of the letters.
Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/12/11 06:55 AM

I did them myself years ago. After repainting the red/white/blue sections, I filled the colored inserts with automotive clear coat. They look pretty close to NOS.

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/12/11 04:14 PM

When you painted them, do you remember if you used something like Testers Model car paint. The stuff that comes in little square bottles, or something else?
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/12/11 06:05 PM

Testor's aerosols- candy blue & candy red.
Applied over the chrome.
White- pick a matching one.
Black applied around the perimeter of the triangles into the small channel.

Clearcoat over the colors, then use either an clear epoxy or polyester 2-part hardened product
as available at craft stores.

Allow each coat to dry very thoroughly.
The clearcoat has to be thick enough & well cured to prevent the candy colors from reflowing & messing up when you pour in the clear epoxy or poly.
Also, perfect mixing of the 2-part material is essential or it'll dry with a tacky surface... if that happens you start over!

Attached picture 6413109-RTSEembl01_1_2_1.JPG
Posted By: FC7cuda

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/13/11 01:25 AM

Quote:

I did them myself years ago. After repainting the red/white/blue sections, I filled the colored inserts with automotive clear coat. They look pretty close to NOS.

Do you have a close-up pic of yours?

Tom
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: SE Emblems, who restores the red, white, blue on them? - 01/13/11 04:49 AM

Thanks Rick!

Tav
© 2024 Moparts Forums