Moparts

Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof?

Posted By: 71GoMango

Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 04:09 AM

I am finally dragging my project back out after 5 years of sitting in the garage...rebuilding the motor right now, which is partly why it sat so long, it spun a rod bearing on the crank, and messed some others up as well, looks like a lack of oil...

Anyway, so here i am back at it, and i have some resto questions...Here is what the fender tags read...and im trying to figure out certain things for the formal roof option, what it didnt use that was used in 70 SE cars etc...Any other input is welcome as well, as im very rusty after being away for so long, it feels like its been forever...Thanks in advance

(Fender Tag #1)
M31-Belt & hood molding
M42-Front end molding
M44-Hood & fender molding
M91-Luggage rack deck lid
N41-Duel exhaust
CTD-continued
J25-3-spd variable wipers
J41-Pedal dress up
J45-Hood pins w/lanyards
J54-Sport hood 70-71
M21-Roof drip rail moldings
C26-Over head roof consolette
C55-Bucket seats
G11-Tinted glass
G31-O/S RH manual racing mirror
G33-O/S LH remote racing mirror
H51-single air w/heater
V1W-Full white vinyl roof
U -Built to US specs
A46-Exterior trim molding group
A78-Formal roof package 71
B51-Power disc brakes
C16-Center console w/buckets
999-Special order paint (mine was Gomango)
H6x9-Black standard vinyl interior
000-Full door panels
413-Build date(April 13th)
K45021-"K"-special handling code
E55-340-4brl
D32-HD auto 727 torque flite

(Fender Tag #2)
Y39-Special order car
26 -26" radiator
EN2-End of tag 2
N42-Chrome dual exhaust tips
N85-Tachometer
P31-Power windows
R36-am/fm radio(thumbwheel radio/console cassette)
V6W-White RT side stripes
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 04:51 AM

Great well optioned R/T!!
The A78 "formal roof option" included: small window, vinyl top, formed headliner, & overhead consolette.
Basically it lacked the moulding package & "SE" emblems on the "C"-pillars, compared to a '70 Challenger "special edition" model.

From a restoration aspect the car is missing a host of mouldings (front valence, back of hood & fenders, tops of doors & 1/4s, luggage rack), A/C, the R/T stripes & the 340 should be painted "blue".
Passenger-side inner fender is '70 style, replacement?
Posted By: 71valiant

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 08:56 AM

Man that is a sweet ride. That is just how I would have ordered it from the factory.

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 11:14 AM

Thanks for the compliments, im just glad to be working on it again, and ready to get her ready for some shows.

6bblgt, thanks for the info, and i actually have all the molding the car calls for that you mentioned, its polished and laying in the trunk, everything looks great except the valance, its kind of rough on the inside but the outside rim that you see looks good. I never installed it because the car was never wet sanded and buffed(can it still be done after sitting so long?), the guy who did my paint and body was put in jail back when we were working on it, and as stated the motor had issues, just a bunch of stuff led to the car sitting so long. 6bblgt, i also have the compresor and some hoses and most of the AC stuff, but its all original and im sure it doesnt work, and i wanted to ask around to see who works on this and if it can be refreshed. As far as the engine block goes, i was told it could have gone either way, and being that it was an earlier production 71 and special order the block was prob more than likely orange. Maybe you would know, i was told it actually had a lot of the TA componants, i know it originally had a TA steering box(which i got rid of before i realized its significance)and a few other things, but cant remember what i was told...And as far as the inner fender and firewall, the guy i bought the car from had replaced some of the engine bay due to a wreck the car had suffered, it was stolen from his shop, and he repainted panther pink aftwards, and actually the reason i was able tpo get the car is because someone tried to steal it again, and wrecked the thing asgain, i only had to replace the hood, fenders grill etc, everything else starightened out. I actually screwed up and got a 70 style hood, it doesnt matter to me atthis point, maybe later on down the road i will do a rotisserie, but for now i just want to have some fun at local shows etc...The prob w/the 70 hood is the molding clips from the front edge, and in 71 its supposed to screw from underneath. WIll the 71 still mount to the underside of a 70 hood?(I hope!)

Thanks again
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 12:26 PM

I Agree with Dan. The A78 option doesn't include any of the moldings that come with the SE cars.

Most of those SE moldings were still available in 71, but they were optioned seperately.

The only one that you couldn't get was the rear astrotone panel. (It's an aluminum molding with argent paint on most of it.) Of coarse, you also don't get SE emblems in 71.

Your car IS optioned with those extra moldings, so that's about as close as you can get to a 71 RT/SE

Sweet Car!!!

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 01:32 PM

Thanks Tav,
OK, so that makes more sense, now i understand what Dan was saying...The formal roof option basically was just that, the OH console and back window etc...The belt moldings on the doors, quarters, fenders and hood, wouldn't normally be with that option, but being that mine has the other trim options then it still has all that trim. I was curious as to exactly what trim was with which option,

M31-Belt and Hood, is this all the belt molding including on the doors and quarters etc?

M42-Front End, Im assuming this is the valance trim?

M44-Hood and Fender, kinda was confused on this if this was the back edge as well? or front edge of hood?

A46-Exterior Trim Molding Group, What all is included in this group? Am i supposed to have the rocker trim too?

As far as badging goes, i need a little help, wish i could find some good restored 71 RT pics, I wouldn't have to ask all these petty questions, I do appreciate the help though.

- I have the White side RT stripes, and i went ahead and bought the white "RT" for the hood, was this standard on RT's w/stripes? And im pretty sure the "Dodge" letters were only on 70 cars.
- On the fenders i should have the "Challenger" badge and an "RT" badge correct? And one of them gets the "Gold Pentastar" just dont remember which one...where is the best place to get dimensions/measurements for placement?
- Decklid gets "Dodge" emblem
- Hood gets the 340-4brl
- Grill gets "Dodge" but does it get anything else like RT?

And i may be forgetting something, any help is appreciated...Thanks
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 02:44 PM

- I have the White side RT stripes, and i went ahead and bought the white "RT" for the hood, was this standard on RT's w/stripes?-

I think they are all black

- And im pretty sure the "Dodge" letters were only on 70 cars. -

Correct

- On the fenders i should have the "Challenger" badge and an "RT" badge correct? And one of them gets the "Gold Pentastar" just dont remember which one...where is the best place to get dimensions/measurements for placement?-

stick on Challenger.

The R/T is an ongoing open debate. did you have origihal fenders. did they have r/t's? if not leave them off.

pentastar on bottom passenger fender

- Decklid gets "Dodge" emblem-

yep

- Hood gets the 340-4brl-

340 magnum I thought, but check on that.

- Grill gets "Dodge" but does it get anything else like RT?-

Yep, no RT its all ready on the hood sticker

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 02:54 PM

Quote:

.. As far as the engine block goes, i was told it could have gone either way, and being that it was an earlier production 71 and special order the block was prob more than likely orange. Maybe you would know, i was told it actually had a lot of the TA componants, i know it originally had a TA steering box(which i got rid of before i realized its significance)and a few other things, but cant remember what i was told...

It's SPD is April 30th 1971. So it's a later car. Blue block and log manifolds. And all 340's got T/A boxes after March. There is a Chrysler memo on that. The only other TA thing could be a left over block. That would be casted into the block and you could see the thick main webs when you rebuilt it.

Quote:

...The prob w/the 70 hood is the molding clips from the front edge, and in 71 its supposed to screw from underneath. WIll the 71 still mount to the underside of a 70 hood?(I hope!)

I think you can just drill the holes in the 70 hood for the 71 molding.

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 02:57 PM

Here's a 71 R/T A78 we see at the Flings out here.

Attached picture 4410616-a06MoprFest0123.JPG

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 03:10 PM

Here's a 71 Challenger convertible loaded survivor (when pictures were taken).

I can't read the tag, but it had fast ratio steering. So good chance it was a later car like yours.

Easier just to do this.

www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefBehindTailpanel.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefBrakeValve.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefDriverHoodHinge.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefDriverInnerFender.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefFtDriverInnerFender.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefFtMotor.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefMidDriverInnerFender.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefPassInnerFender.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefRadSupport.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefRrMidDriverInnerFender.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefSpareTire.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefUnderTrunklid.JPG
www.cpwclub.com/images/71ConvRefUnderhood.JPG

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 04:09 PM

Quote:

- I have the White side RT stripes, and i went ahead and bought the white "RT" for the hood, was this standard on RT's w/stripes?-

Well it calls for V6W-white side stripes, so i was going to just put a white RT on the hood, are you saying it should have white side stripes and a black hood RT?

And i remember now that you say that about the RT on the fender being an issue, and i dont think mine had it originally, b/c of the side stripes saying it.

It seems like i remember this was a question back then too, and i remember being told the 340 chargers had magnum, and my challenger should be 340-four-barrel, but id like to know. We had purchased the 340-four-barrel emblems, but Id like to install the proper emblems.

Autoxcuda, thanks for all the detailed info, i really appreciate the pics too, that will help for reassembly...If you have more of those 2 cars, id take as many pics as you can send, if you would prefer to send through email i can give ya that...let me know thanks...

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 04:17 PM

I thought I heard the R/T hood decals were all black.

Wonder if the parts manual lists a white hood lettering decal.

I have pictures of the moldings, but you allready have them. R/T specialties has the clips. find out if you are missing any.

Does your build sheet say wide rocker molding?

This thread needs to be moved to the resto section.

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 05:22 PM

I didnt know there was a specific resto section now, this site has changed so much since i last used it...Thought i was in the right spot...

I have all my molding clips i think we ordered from RT specialties back then, so should be good to go, and i dont have a build sheet, 2 previous owners before me, had just gotten rid of the original seats like 2-3 months before i contacted him, to the same guy with the original block, and i could never get anyone to answer a phone, so i gave up...Kinda thought about getting back out and looking again...at least for the block, and who knows may luck into the seats...there used to be a site you could turn in found build sheets etc, and others could look to see if theirs was in there, sound familiar?
Posted By: JS29

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/07/08 05:32 PM

FYI.

Sounds like a cool car.

Attached picture 4410988-SEFeatures.jpg

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 05:54 PM

Quote:

I didnt know there was a specific resto section now, this site has changed so much since i last used it...Thought i was in the right spot...

No big deal. I know you haven't posted here in a while. Message was directed at the mods if they see it. They can move threads.

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/07/08 06:21 PM

JS29, Nice car...I love the 70 body style as well, i think most all of that stuff only pertains to the 70 model year. I love your combo though.

I also have a 70 Challenger convertible, its underway too...Plum-Crazy Purple, white interior, white top, its an original 318 car, going with the 440, turbo-action tranny, rallye gauges etc...It will be a 440 magnum clone car...The thing should run like a scalded dog, added frame connecters. Want to have them both ready for Big Daddy Don Garlits show down here in Florida...Its got the motor dropped in, working on the wiring and engine bay componants, and interior. The body and paint work was done by an Moparts member friend of mine "Reflections7" Does awesome work , i cant wait to get the car done. When i get ready to redo the 71 properly, i will try to work around his schedule and do some serious sweet talking if he is no longer doing cars...Hopefully he will...

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/07/08 06:27 PM

Quote:

It's SPD is April 30th 1971. So it's a later car. Blue block and log manifolds. And all 340's got T/A boxes after March. There is a Chrysler memo on that. The only other TA thing could be a left over block. That would be casted into the block and you could see the thick main webs when you rebuilt it.

Im not sure what SPD means, im trying to understnad my production time frame...A little help here, how do i determine its early or late?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/07/08 07:13 PM

does anyone have a good close up of the exterior chrome on the SE back window?

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/07/08 07:23 PM

Heres some descent pics of the trim your asking about in this ebay auction...Its not my ad, i just saw it, but I actually have an extra whole setup at the house if you were looking for some...Let me know

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Dodg...sspagenameZWDVW
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/07/08 07:44 PM

The SPD is the Scheduled Production Date. Yours being april 30th, better than half way through the production run.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/07/08 10:52 PM

I've been wondering what happened to you. I remember your car very well and was hoping to see some progress on it. At least you've come back and we can keep tabs on it.

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/08/08 01:43 AM

Thanks for the welcome back Diego, i feel so rusty and have forgotten so much, im excited about it, and just trying to finish what i started...

A12superbee, i guess im still a little confused about my SPD, you guys keep saying April 30th, i always thought it was April 13th (413) anyway, i get the idea though...i just really want to paint the motor the correct color, if im going to do it, might as well be correct...So blue it is, i have no idea why we would have painted it orange though, im almost possitive we researched it pretty well before we did it, oh well...

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/08/08 07:01 PM

Quote:

does anyone have a good close up of the exterior chrome on the SE back window?

Those pictures on the ebay link should show what you're looking for. They've been polished up a bit though. The valley between the inner and outer raised areas of the SE rear exterior window trim should be black paint.

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/08/08 07:10 PM

Quote:

i guess im still a little confused about my SPD, you guys keep saying April 30th, i always thought it was April 13th (413)

You are correct, the SPD (Scheduled Production Date) is 413 which means April 13th. I'm not sure where they came up with Apr 30th, probably just misread it.

The production year runs from August 1st to around the middle of July. That would make the middle of the production run sometime around January. Anything made before the middle is early, anything after the middle is late more or less.

I haven't studied up on how that effects the color of your engine, but I feel the other guys are probably correct with their blue suggestion.

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 07:17 PM

Quote:

there used to be a site you could turn in found build sheets etc, and others could look to see if theirs was in there, sound familiar?

That would be Barry Washington, Moparts member Alaskan_TA. He runs the 1970 Hamtramck registry.

Google enough of those words, and your bound to find him, but if you've already got a lead on where the original seats are then that's deffinately worth checking in to. Even if you don't end up with the seats or the engine block, it would be awfull nice to have that piece of paper! (if it exists, many were thrown away at the factory) Plus by staying in contact you may get that engine back someday!

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 07:23 PM

Quote:

I was thinking that the Dodges used "Magnum", and the Plymouths used "barrel".

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 07:52 PM

Quote:

- On the fenders i should have the "Challenger" badge and an "RT" badge correct?

stick on Challenger.

The R/T is an ongoing open debate. did you have origihal fenders. did they have r/t's? if not leave them off.

70 emblems had pins to hold them on the car.
71 emblems were stick on.

70 cars had "Challenger" above the body line, and "RT" below the body line.
71 cars had "Challenger" below the body line. If it had an "RT" it would be diagonal down and to the right I think. It is debated if the stripe delete 71 RTs had RT emblems, but I think a small majority would agree that the RTs with Stripes did Not have RT emblems. Since your car has stripes, it probably shouldn't have RT emblems.

Tav

70 style pic

Attached picture 4413561-ChallengerRTandPenstarEmblems2.JPG

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 07:56 PM

71 RT with stripe delete

(Some early build cars had the RT emblem directly below the challenger emblem. Maybe due to line worker installing it similar to the 70 version? )

Tav

Attached picture 4413579-71RTstripedelete.jpg

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 07:58 PM

71 RT with stripes

Tav

Attached picture 4413586-71ChallengerandPenstarEmblems2.JPG

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 08:14 PM

Quote:

And one of them gets the "Gold Pentastar" just dont remember which one...where is the best place to get dimensions/measurements for placement?-

pentastar on bottom passenger fender

11 1/2 inches down from the body line, 6 3/4 inches forward from the rear of fender by the door, drill a 1/8 hole. This is the large hole for the center pin on the emblem. You'll need another smaller hole directly above it for the locating pin on the emblem. Refer to the emblem for hole size and spacing on this second hole. The emblem should be plastic with some reflective gold on it.

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 08:19 PM

Quote:

- Decklid gets "Dodge" emblem-

yep

- Grill gets "Dodge" but does it get anything else like RT?-

Yep, no RT

No RT on the grill, just "Dodge", and if you have your original Decklid emblem, keep a close eye on it, as I hear their hard to come by.

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 08:33 PM

Quote:

I'd like some more info on that myself. Which cars got the RT on the hood? Was it all the RTs with the Sport hood? (None on Shaker hood cars.) If you have stripe delete, does that also dismiss the RT on the hood?

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 09:03 PM

Tav, Thanks for the help...I like reinforcement...I hopefully wont be pulling the engine again anytime soon, so id like to get her done right this time...

And a big thanks on the fender emblems, need those measurments, and i wont be installing the RT badging, i knew there was a reason we never bought them...

The decklid dodge emblem, i actually have the original and an NOS one, not sure how we came across the second one, i think we bought it and then lucked across the original stuck in the box with the fender tags...

I guess my only questions now will be to confirm a white "RT" on the hood and the magnum or barrel 340 emblem on the hood. You may be correct with the magnum...maybe someone with an original will chime in...

This site is as good as i remember it being...I remember the days of running in from working on the car, and posting a question, sitting there for just a few minutes to keep it bumped to the top for people to see, and usually getting the answer that solved the problem relatively quickly...It doesn't get any better than this, id pay for a lot of this advice, i guess maybe eventually I'll be able to return the favor...Thanks again!

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 05/08/08 09:24 PM

Quote:

I was curious as to exactly what trim was with which option,

M31-Belt and Hood, is this all the belt molding including on the doors and quarters etc?

M42-Front End, Im assuming this is the valance trim?

M44-Hood and Fender, kinda was confused on this if this was the back edge as well? or front edge of hood?

A46-Exterior Trim Molding Group, What all is included in this group? Am i supposed to have the rocker trim too?

M31 door tops & quarter tops by the quarter windows.

M42 front valance molding

M44 rear of hood (by windshield), and the fender molding next to it.

A46 is all of the above codes together as a package. I don't think it includes M21 drip rail molding (standard on challengers anyway), M26 wheel well molding (standard on challengers anyway), (can't remember code) rocker molding, or M28 wide front of hood molding.

I participated in a thread on this subject with Stroker 318 within the past six months. It has lots of info if anyone can find it. I've never had much luck with the search feature here on moparts.

(This is off the top of my head, as my car notes are a little disorganized right now.)

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/08/08 09:33 PM

Quote:

Tav, Thanks for the help...

Quote:

Want to have them both ready for Big Daddy Don Garlits show down here in Florida...

You're Welcome. Thank you for sharing all that info on your car! That's how we all learn this stuff in the first place.

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing your car in person at the show.

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/09/08 01:03 AM

Well, now i see now your from FL...Guess you might be a good person to ask when exactly is the date of the Garlit show? Also when are some other good mope shows coming up that will be relatively close by...I heard theres a good one in GA coming up...

What part of FL are you from? Im up north of Jacksonville...

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/09/08 12:23 PM

I'm just a little south west of Daytona. Don Garlits (Mopars with Big Daddy) is easily the best show I've seen down here. I'm pretty sure it's always the first weekend of November, but you might want to double check that. That would be the 1st and 2nd this year.

If your talking about the Mopar Southern Nationals just north of Valdosta GA, then it's an OK show if your close by. When I went it seemed to mainly cater toward the drag racers, and I'm not really into that much, I like the show cars. I like to study the E bodies, and there were about 8 or 10 of them there on the show field (compared to more than 50 at the Garlits show), but most were modified to the point of being unusable for reference material.

I hear there's a decent mopar show down by Melbourne/Cocoa, but I haven't been to check it out yet. Not sure when it is exactly, but it's advertised in some magazines, and I think here on moparts too in the show section.

At the Daytona Speedway theres a HUGE all makes car show Thanksgiving weekend, and another (about half size) around the 3rd weekend in March. The Turkey Rod Run seems to have about 15 E bodies out of about 5000 plus cars. (it had a few more when the Jacksonville mopar club came, but I didn't see them there last year.)

There's lots of nice cars down in the Tampa area, but I'm not aware of the shows down there.

Tav

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/09/08 12:56 PM

I havent been to the Garlits show in a while, so i was kind of hoping for a good show. I liked it because they had a good swap meet as well as show section...

I have also been to a good all Mope show in Tampa, Ill have to read my shirt when i get home to remember where its at(I think it was Zephyrhills?), but it was a good turn out as well, and good swap meet. I actually took a bunch of stuff(as much as i could cram in an excursion w/no backseat!) to that show like 4-yrs ago, and made quite a bit of money, and picked up the rallye gauge cluster for my 70 Chally Vert...
Id like to see if that one is still going on now a days too.

And yes i was talking about that show in GA, it was either Douglas or Moultrie, cant remember, but i had been to one at both places before, seems like moultrie was an all make and douglas was all mope...And douglas was more into the track cars, like you said...I too am more into the show cars, Im going to have to fork it up one of these days and go to Carlisle(I think thats the big one)...My uncle Len(he owns a sweet original 440-6pack yellow 70 super bee) and some other jacksonville mope club guys have been going for a few years now, i may hook up with them one yr and make the trip...

So what all cars do you have, or working on? Im a challenger guy myslef, have had 4, my first was a 70 hard-top, and eventually ended up selling it to pay for the body work and paint on the 70 Vert i have now, I found this 71 RT im working on as well and the guy had this really rough 71 Vert out back he threw in for like $400 ended up parting it out and basically built this 71 RT(made like $7k off the rusty thing), So Im now left with 2 good projects...Ill prob stick with these 2 for a while, and maybe later on look for my dream investment, an original concourse Hemi #'s matching...But ill def have to do some saving to afford the latter...We can dream right?!

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/09/08 01:41 PM

Yeah, It would be great to go to Carlisle! Especialy this year since the Challenger is the Featured car this year.

I have a...
Lemon Twist AAR 340 six barrel/727 auto slapstik, black leather interior, rallye guages, light package, etc. I've added air conditioning and cruise control. Had an 8 track originaly, but I put a CD player in.

(still building) Sublime T/A with about 408 cubic inch stroked 360 & fuel injected six pak/727 auto slapstik with gear vendors overdrive, black leather interior, rallye guages, light package, six way seat, rear defog, air conditioning, cruise control, power windows, etc. Hopefully I'll have paint on it by the end of June.

(waiting in line) Plum Crazy (In Violet Mettalic) 70 roadrunner 383/pistol grip four speed, white interior, rallye guages, 8 track with rear speakers, air grabber hood with performance hood treatment, go wing spoiler.

(in paint booth now) Neon Blue & Black & orange Customized 89 Chevy Silverado 1500 fleetside longbed extended cab, 350/auto, tricked out,...

Blue 1938 Ford 1/2 ton pickup that my great uncle bought new in 38. Flathead V8/4 speed, owners manual, both original license plates, and 70 years of family photos/collected parts.

Tav
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 05/09/08 07:09 PM

Quote:

i guess im still a little confused about my SPD, you guys keep saying April 30th, i always thought it was April 13th (413)

Quote:

You are correct, the SPD (Scheduled Production Date) is 413 which means April 13th. I'm not sure where they came up with Apr 30th, probably just misread it.

Tav

Opps totally my mistake, I went by a previous post and didn't look myself. Sorry.
A for each of you.
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 09/25/08 01:10 PM

Im not sure if i can be of any help, but i wanted to say hello to a fellow A78 owner. Ive been unable to meet ANY in the past 7yrs that Ive had my car. Lookin Good!

heres my rearend for chrome purposes.. dangit! i thought i had a larger pic, I'll have to take another.

Attached picture 4709061-mdmprs4.JPG
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 09/25/08 11:11 PM

Attached picture 4710412-DSCN4269-1.jpg
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 09/25/08 11:11 PM

Attached picture 4710413-DSCN4270-1.jpg

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 09/26/08 05:14 AM

Quote:

Im not sure if i can be of any help, but i wanted to say hello to a fellow A78 owner. Ive been unable to meet ANY in the past 7yrs that Ive had my car. Lookin Good!

heres my rearend for chrome purposes.. dangit! i thought i had a larger pic, I'll have to take another.

Here's another A78 Challenger with N code 383. Original or mostly original butterscotch paint.

Attached picture 4711192-1FF06PicCpw0238.JPG
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 09/26/08 01:41 PM

thanks!! I love seeing more of them!
Posted By: Erik

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof? - 09/26/08 03:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking that the Dodges used "Magnum", and the Plymouths used "barrel".

Tav

All '70-'73 340 Challengers used "340 Four Barrel" emblems.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 09/26/08 09:10 PM

Quote:

I thought I heard the R/T hood decals were all black.

Wonder if the parts manual lists a white hood lettering decal.

I remember going to the Dodge dealer in 1981 and ordering the 71 decal for the hood. I still have it in the box.

They asked if I wanted white or black. I ordered black
Posted By: 10sec340

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 11/26/09 07:41 PM

any progress on this car since last post ??

here is my A78
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...ID=#Post5629031
Posted By: 440beep

Re: Help with 71 Challenger options..."A78" Formal Roof - 11/26/09 07:51 PM

woooooooooooooow nice toy
© 2024 Moparts Forums