Moparts

Is there a database for factory markings???

Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/16/10 02:00 AM

I am wondering if someone collects info on factory markings? I just pressure washing the rear end on my 1971 Superbee and alot of them survived all this time. I would like to pass some pictures of the markings and stampings onto someone that can use the info for restorations. I will have some pics soon but I have to grab my camera from my house. So is there a place that collects this type of data???
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/16/10 02:33 AM

The markings you found are really only 'correct' for your car. Not all cars were marked the same exact way. Some cars have more than others.

I am sure folks would like to see them just the same though.
Posted By: topside

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/16/10 02:48 AM

Sounds like something that could go into the Tech Archive here, subject to a disclaimer that "your car may differ".
Many of the markings are specific to an engine/trans combo, and the ones on the diff case are specific to gear ratio & Sure-Grip, for 2 examples, but they're all interesting.
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/16/10 03:02 AM

Some 8-3/4 have more inspection/assembly marks than the space shuttle.....always cool to look at though

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/16/10 04:13 AM

well here they are sorry they are camera phone pics,

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/16/10 04:14 AM

here are some more

Posted By: Morty426

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/16/10 10:27 AM

Well you have a date

G044

Pretty sure G is for 71
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/16/10 06:38 PM

Quote:

If one were to start a database crappy cellphone pictures wouldn't be the media of choice I would think.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/16/10 07:16 PM

Quote:

The markings you found are really only 'correct' for your car. Not all cars were marked the same exact way. Some cars have more than others.

I am sure folks would like to see them just the same though.

Very true Barry. We know a guy who documented an all original T/A that my buddy owned. Next thing you know, there was a fully restored T/A running around that had identical markings to my buddy's all original car.
An assembly line worker would not have made the exact same looking mark on every single car.

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/17/10 06:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If one were to start a database crappy cellphone pictures wouldn't be the media of choice I would think.

yeah I know I need to grab my camera. Just wanted to post some pics of the markings
Posted By: Lemon_Twist

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/21/10 05:47 AM

Here's a link to the ICCA home page. They have some reference photos posted. I know, I know.....not suitable for OEM judging, but I added some to my car just to make it a little more interesting to look at when I am underneath it cleaning, lol.

Rod

ICCA page
Posted By: CornDogsCharger

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/21/10 01:19 PM

I wish I could have found more info on the markings when I was restoring this last Superbird. I just took many pictures and measurements and duplicated them back onto the reared when the restoration was close to being complete. I would like to see more pictures though. On some of the close up pictures could you mention where they are located. I found a yellow stenciled lettering but it was worn too bad and I couldn't make out what with said. I'm thinking it was the date code.

Justin
"CornDog"

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/21/10 02:11 PM

Very nice attention to detail....Never seen an R on the back.....maybe it was a very sloppy F?

Good job.

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/22/10 01:07 AM

Thanks. It was definitely an "R" A lot of the paint was rubbed off but there was enough of it there to tell that it was looped together. A friend of mine that is pretty knowledgeable in these cars said the "RB" stood for 3.55 gears.

Justin
"CornDog"

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/22/10 01:28 AM

The markings on the backside were year and or body style.
F - 1970
G - 1971
B - B-Body
E - E-Body

The gear ratio markings were the tag and the splotch color combo on the bottom of the carrier...

Here is a 70 E-Body

Any thing is possible - just never seen an R.

Attached picture 6370735-3_70HemiChallenger10_69.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/22/10 01:34 AM

Another 70 E-Body

Attached picture 6370747-8_70383Challenger12_18.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/22/10 01:35 AM

A 71 (G-Series) B-Body

Attached picture 6370756-4_71HemiChargerRT3_22.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/22/10 01:40 AM

Here is a rear from a Daytona - They usually only marked the body type in 69.

Attached picture 6370774-DSC02317.JPG
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/22/10 01:41 AM

And a 70 E-body

Attached picture 6370775-axlemarkings.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/23/10 03:01 AM

Great info FJ5 Fish! You've really got me thinking now. I studied that think for close to an hour and I kept coming up with R, but the F would definitely make more sense. Here is another picture.

Justin
"CornDog"

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/23/10 03:03 AM

On the Daytona reared, do you know what that "4" was for?

Justin
"CornDog"

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/23/10 04:07 AM

That's a good question - I have seen all kinds of different numbers, symbols, nothing, etc. there. Probably some kind of inspection mark.

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/23/10 04:14 AM

Quote:

Great info FJ5 Fish! You've really got me thinking now. I studied that think for close to an hour and I kept coming up with R, but the F would definitely make more sense. Here is another picture.

Justin
"CornDog"

Hey - It could be an R meant to be an F but done either wrong or very sloppily. You put back what you found which is the best thing you can do for the car in question. Heck - Maybe it was a Bird thing - I'll check mine and a couple others more closely.
Posted By: Dartman440

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/26/10 05:38 AM

Here are a few of my 69 Survivor Road Runner. It is not painted past the inner leaf bolts.

Attached picture 6378349-69RRA4RearEndBack.jpg
Posted By: Dartman440

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/26/10 05:39 AM

Another shot left side from the front.

Attached picture 6378353-69RRA4RearAxelStenLft.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/26/10 07:00 AM

Some great examples of why each and every car is it's own "blueprint" in terms of correctness, you can see by just what's been posted here that no two are alike, this is why any sort of "database" of factory markings would fall short of providing correct details for restoring any car but the one they were taken from.

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/29/10 01:56 PM

I agree with you that there are very rarely two cars marked up the same way. But if there were some sort of "database" or website on various markings that are found on a car... I would like to see something that translates the markings. On the cars I have done, that is always the first question I get. "What does _____ mean?" Some I know, but most of them I don't.

Justin
"CornDog"
Posted By: koak

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/29/10 03:52 PM

Great topic. Definately an "R" and "E" here... '70 Cuda 3.91....

Attached picture 6384147-1.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/29/10 04:01 PM

1970 Challenger 340. with a 3.23 open - Early Dec 1969 SBD

I put back what I found.

Attached picture 6384165-C1.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/29/10 04:01 PM

Attached picture 6384168-C6.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/29/10 04:02 PM

Attached picture 6384169-C7.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 01:13 PM

Hey Dartman440, What are the specs on this 69 Road Runner? 383... 440... auto... 4 spd, etc. Thanks!

Justin
"CornDog"

Quote:

Here are a few of my 69 Survivor Road Runner. It is not painted past the inner leaf bolts.

Posted By: cudastruction

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 02:18 PM

What do you use to make the factory markings? Are there paint sticks and stencils available or do you use a paint brush?

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 02:45 PM

I used brushes

Justin
"CornDog"

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 03:20 PM

You would need stamps for the date codes and axle part numbers

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 03:44 PM

My 69 survivor Swinger 340 - 3.23 auto. This before I really cleaned it up. The yellow 565 and 566 are the axle codes...this one was stamped for sure-grip and non sure-grip! The white stamping on the right of the pic is the date code....these can be found anywhere along that side but usually around the U-bolts.

Attached picture 6387596-DSC01417s.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 03:45 PM

More...

Attached picture 6387597-DSC01418s.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 03:46 PM

Another...

Attached picture 6387599-DSC01419s.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 03:47 PM

Some more..

Attached picture 6387601-DSC01420s.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 03:48 PM

Second last...

Attached picture 6387603-DSC01421s.jpg

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 03:49 PM

Last one...

Attached picture 6387605-DSC01423s.jpg
Posted By: cudastruction

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 04:32 PM

What type of paint do you use?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 12/31/10 04:40 PM

Quote:

I would like to see something that translates the markings. On the cars I have done, that is always the first question I get. "What does _____ mean?" Some I know, but most of them I don't.

I agree, for this purpose such a database would be helpful. At this point no such website exists as far as I know, although there are several sites with some select info to review such as the ICCA site. There is also the problem that there is more bad information out there than good, many people have "guessed" and spread the word that "this meant that" etc. and in many cases were completely wrong.

We still have a long way to go in Mopar Land before all of the various markings are completely deciphered.

*I have been archiving photos and information on original markings for a number of years now and will continue to do so. Should anyone like to submit examples of what they find please feel free. The more that is known about the car they were taken from the better, photo's of the VIN#, Fender tag, Broadcast Sheet, etc. are always helpful and will provide more clues in determining what the markings mean. I will be adding a section to my website where the results can be viewed by all (Of course VIN and other private info will be kept private if so desired by the submittor). I have purchased several domain names which will make it easier to remember which will take you directly to the link on my home website www.harmsauto.com.

If you wish to sumbit photos and info for the archive please e-mail them to: Scott@harmsauto.com.
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 01/01/11 03:16 AM

I appreciate your passion for wanting to know about markings ....Man you picked a difficult one as far as overall correctness and location..I worked those assembly lines for many a year and there are soooo many variables here...The colors and markings and proper locations would vary for a hundred different reasons..Different inspectors, relief people, 1st to 2nd shift, vendor part changes, early to late model cars..This list is endless...I wish there were set rules here but thats just not the case...Survivor cars are excellent resources obviously....Good luck with your search..This is a tuff one...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 01/01/11 02:12 PM

Bill,

I agree with only the E marking on the pumpkin. Our 70 chally vert with a SPO date of 9/28/69 only has the E and not the FE. Possibly due to the early production date of the car.

Re: Is there a database for factory markings??? - 01/01/11 03:27 PM

Seen plenty of 70's both ways....probably a running change to the I.D. procedure.
© 2024 Moparts Forums