Moparts

68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question.

Posted By: TimS

68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/08/10 12:38 PM

My 68 Bee is at the paint shop and being preped for paint. I noticed when I replaced my tail panel and qtr extensions that there was a hint of some black out treatment on the tail panel around the tail trim that extended to the qtr extensions. My trunk lid was junk and all rusted out on the lip area so I don't know if it extended to the lid. Would anyone have a picture that illustrates the correct location of this blacked out area? Thanks.
Posted By: topside

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/08/10 05:44 PM

There's one for sale on Ebay that has a shot of the rear. IIRC, it's a band around the tail lamps at the outer, angled area of the rear body panel, extensions, and maybe trunk lid.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/08/10 05:48 PM

I think I saw that one. Couldn't tell about the trunk lid lip though.
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/08/10 06:37 PM

It is actually a "decal" or vinyl from what I have been told.

Performance Car Graphics sells them.
Posted By: superbee68

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/08/10 06:41 PM

trunk lid and lower tailpanel vinyl from factory qaurter ext. painted to match phoenix graphix has complete sat n the colors you need
Posted By: FJ5_Fish

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/08/10 07:15 PM

On my 69's it is painted....I would guess the same on 68's? Dunno for sure....is there a part number for these decals in the parts book?

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/08/10 08:53 PM

My 68 has the original tailpanel and it's definately painted. The graphics places sell decals for it but it was painted at the factory. My plan was to go the original route but just wanted to pinpoint the correct location.
Posted By: srt

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/08/10 10:49 PM

Andy's site has some pics that should help you with the layout

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 03:31 AM

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I believe I can get what I need from this shot.
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 04:03 AM

No doubt that it IS a decal... Buy from Performance Car Graphics : http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Stripes_Lettering/Super_Bee/68_Rear_Blackout.htm
The turquoise one that was in Mopar Muscle is where they got their original one I believe. He told me to get it without a key cut-out as that is how his came. Also get the correct size bee sticker from them as they are different than most of the ones you see for sale. I believe his is a St. Louis car and mine is from Detroit, I doubt they would paint it at the one other assembly plant. When I was stripping my car, I came across the decal under the repaint my car got. (I think the picture of our cars is on my flash drive somewhere, so here is just mine)
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 11:59 AM

Original 1968 Lynch Road Built Super Bee - Painted blackout

Attached picture 6346966-68Beegreenblackoutpaint.jpg

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 12:43 PM

I agree. Painted. My 68 positively has the, from the factory, original paint on the exterior. I'm the 2nd owner and have known this car for years. The tail was rusty in the tail light bucket area so I had to replace that whole thing. I went back out into the garage and looked that original pc.over again. That dude is painted. Matter of fact it's the same color Turquoise exterior.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 02:49 PM

Quote:

No doubt that it IS a decal... Buy from Performance Car Graphics : http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Stripes_Lettering/Super_Bee/68_Rear_Blackout.htm
The turquoise one that was in Mopar Muscle is where they got their original one I believe. He told me to get it without a key cut-out as that is how his came. Also get the correct size bee sticker from them as they are different than most of the ones you see for sale. I believe his is a St. Louis car and mine is from Detroit, I doubt they would paint it at the one other assembly plant. When I was stripping my car, I came across the decal under the repaint my car got. (I think the picture of our cars is on my flash drive somewhere, so here is just mine)

Posted By: mccannix

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 04:51 PM

Here's closeup of the 68 bee decal.
It has a tinge of argent as you can see.
This one is/was NOS until I applied it years ago to a display glass I have...

Attached picture 6347250-tmpphpBCcMP1.jpg
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 04:54 PM

closer shot..

Attached picture 6347262-tmpphpYYiJFe.jpg
Posted By: Tommy The Chryco

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 05:29 PM

I had an original blue car, and yes thats how it came with the black out, but there was no "bee" on the rear panel just dodge lettering.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 06:03 PM

I don't know anything other that what has been discussed on the "Bee" but just agreeing the tail panel :black-out" was 100% a decal.
Posted By: Scatransit

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 08:31 PM

My '68 survivor was absolutely a decal... All '68 'Bees got the tail panel blackout & bee decals, even with stripe delete...

Dave at Performance Car Graphics is your man.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 09:52 PM

Quote:

I agree. Painted. My 68 positively has the, from the factory, original paint on the exterior. I'm the 2nd owner and have known this car for years. The tail was rusty in the tail light bucket area so I had to replace that whole thing. I went back out into the garage and looked that original pc.over again. That dude is painted. Matter of fact it's the same color Turquoise exterior.

Hmm, dunno what to think about it. Where was yours built? Here is the turquoise one I was talking about (a bunch of pictures on andy440 website). We all agree to disagree. At least you're painting the right spot. I see a lot with the black out where the DODGE emblems are. So at least it won't be as wrong as others

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 11:09 PM

Cool Turquoise Bee. Same original color as mine will be. Is that LL1? I'm reading the decal responses and am really surprised. Mine is a Lynch Road car that I'm am as positive as some are about the decal that this thing is painted on. You can easily tell the difference between a decal and painted treatment. Maybe they did it both ways. Who knows? Mine also has the little bee at the tail beside the Dodge letters. Black tail stripe, black int, no VT. I'll post some pics of the original tail off the car that still bears the black out. Let the controversy begin.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/09/10 11:59 PM

I think dates and plants will have to be considered to figure out the puzzle.
Were early cars (January '68) painted & later cars (June '68) decals? One plant painted & two plants decals?
Were there 3 plants that built '68 Super Bees (Lynch Rd., St. Louis, & Los Angeles)?

The '68 Part Catalog (June '69 printing) shows: (#7,9,10)

7 TAPE #2840 573 - deck opening lower panel
9 TAPE #2842 934 - deck lid outside panel
10 TAPE #2842 936-7 - quater panel end extension
&
13 DECAL #2842 944 - deck opening lower panel "BEE"

Attached picture 6347982-68bee-tail.JPG

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/10/10 12:12 AM

If there is paint on them - someone other the Chrysler did it - probably early in the cars life - which would look original now - after all those years.
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/10/10 01:10 AM

This topic has been discussed here before. consensus was tape.....

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/10/10 01:40 AM

The car I have is a Mid July 68 build. I live down the road from the original buyer so I was going to have him come over and look at the panel and see if he recalls. Tape leaves a ridge more pronounced than a blackout job that blends, which is what this looks like. Just going by what I have in my hands that is without a doubt original equipment.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/10/10 07:31 AM

I had no idea at all it was there until i stripped the paint, then it came off in sheets kind of. I'd say that document proves it. Even if you were to get it judged, most people don't know what is right. Before I got my car, I had no idea that all 68's were bench seat, post cars. When I called my cousin telling him what I bought, he asked if it was real... I was like, i dunno. Ends up it is... Good luck w/ your decision.. That andy440 site has tons of nice bee's, check it out.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/10/10 10:40 AM

Thanks. I'll check out that Andy440 site. I was going to do the same thing with the tail panel. See what happens when I try to spray some decal remover on it. If it's a decal it should reveal turquoise paint underneath and come off easily with that remover. Matter of fact, I've still got the qtr extensions which have it too. I'll try one of those pieces.

I didn't realize they were all bench seaters either. Mine is a bench seat 4speed. I knew they were all post cars and built beginning in January of 68. Pretty cool deal.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/10/10 03:38 PM

if there was a decal available they wouldnt have painted.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/10/10 04:06 PM

I suggest doing your own investigation.
Put a little paint stripper on one part, some decal remover on another and finally a heat gun on a third. Let your results guide you
On two unrestored bees I've looked over I observed thin faded paint.
As mentioned above spd and or plant may play a role.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/10/10 08:22 PM

Well..... I did the test I mentioned with the decal remover and I stand corrected. It is a decal that I have. I have to eat my words from a previous post about it definately being paint. I should have done the test before opening my mouth. I will now remove my foot!!!
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/11/10 01:13 PM

More pieces to the puzzle

Attached picture 6350703-1968Beetapereferencemoparts.jpg

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/11/10 01:24 PM

Cool. This gives me location. I talked to the paint shop yesterday and they're going to paint that on for me. It all answers the tape vs. paint question in my mind. Should be tape.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/11/10 03:37 PM

Quote:

Cool. This gives me location. I talked to the paint shop yesterday and they're going to paint that on for me.

Tim your cars are originals, use a decal since your car came with that.
Posted By: Scatransit

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/11/10 04:37 PM

Quote:

My '68 survivor was absolutely a decal... All '68 'Bees got the tail panel blackout & bee decals, even with stripe delete...

Dave at Performance Car Graphics is your man.

I wanted to add that it was a March Lynch Road car...Also I meant "decal" not decals....

More '68 'Bee lore: They all were post/bench cars (already covered), all had wheel lip moldings, and all had the Charger Rally gauges with an optional Tachometer (Tic-Toc Tach), & no bee was installed in the grille. It's also interesting to note that while the Charger rally gauges were standard in the 'Bee, they were an option in the R/T! Dodge wanted a piece of the Road Runner market for sure, and really made the 'Bee a sweet little package!

Keep us updated on your car...Post pics when you can!
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/11/10 05:32 PM

Quote:

I see a lot with the black out where the DODGE emblems are.

While not correct, they do look 1,000 times better like this.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/11/10 05:47 PM

Interesting. I bought this Bee 2 1/2 years ago from the original owner family. It sat under a Walnut tree since 82. I replaced the front/rear frame rails, tranny crossmember support end caps, The whole rear section( trunk floor, trnk floor extensions, trunk lip gutters, tail section, repaired inner/outer wheel houses, rear cross member), both front inner fenders, trunk lid and countless tack metal and grind patches on the fenders and doors. Big project that is getting near completion. I still have it's #'s matching 383, 4spd and 3.55 rear. I'm rebuilding the 383 next year. It has a 1970 440HP2 motor in it right now. I guess to say it's nearing completion isn't true. I do still have the motor to do but I have been driving the car so that's a plus. The original buyer of the car comes over and checks out the progress. He still has the original window sticker, which I have a copy.

Attached picture 6351071-IM001839.JPG

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/11/10 09:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I see a lot with the black out where the DODGE emblems are.

While not correct, they do look 1,000 times better like this.

Disagree .

I didn't know they all came with wheel lip mouldings. More pics of your q5 bee please . While I like that one I posted earlier (extremely nice), it's an auto on the column. Buzz kill for me.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/11/10 11:14 PM

Mine is an LL1 Turquoise Bee. Here's a picture of it when I got it home and put some wheels on it to move around. It came with 14 inch road wheels originally. This is with the original paint. What one looks like after sitting outside for 40 years.I'll have pics of the car with new paint in about a month.

Attached picture 6351641-IM001152.JPG

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/12/10 03:17 AM

Outside, under a carport?
I can't see it holding up that well in the environment you reside.
Even in arid areas the paint suffers much more.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/12/10 05:47 AM

Quote:

Interesting. I bought this Bee 2 1/2 years ago from the original owner family. It sat under a Walnut tree since 82. I replaced the front/rear frame rails, tranny crossmember support end caps, The whole rear section( trunk floor, trnk floor extensions, trunk lip gutters, tail section, repaired inner/outer wheel houses, rear cross member), both front inner fenders, trunk lid and countless tack metal and grind patches on the fenders and doors. Big project that is getting near completion. I still have it's #'s matching 383, 4spd and 3.55 rear. I'm rebuilding the 383 next year. It has a 1970 440HP2 motor in it right now. I guess to say it's nearing completion isn't true. I do still have the motor to do but I have been driving the car so that's a plus. The original buyer of the car comes over and checks out the progress. He still has the original window sticker, which I have a copy. [/quote

When the car is done you should take it by & toss him the key.. I did with my Challenger & he still talks about how cool that was fifteen years later... Dragged a hulk out of his barn & a year later drove back in a beautiful car...

Attached picture 6352375-2Wild.jpg

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/12/10 01:03 PM

Nope. This car spent all its life outside, as I verified with the original owner family. I first saw it about 1989. The original buyer had it for 8 years and he then sold it to his nephew who had it till I got it back in 2007. It sat under a walnut tree from 1982 till 2006 in Galveston IN. Was then pulled out of the hole it made for itself by the nephews brother in law and sat outside his house for about a year. I'm just glad the Nephew didn't decide to sell it to the 1st guy to look at it for purchase. He wanted to rebody it with a 318 Coronet he had sitting around from what I was told. I got the 2nd shot.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/12/10 01:09 PM

Yes I plan to let the whole family cruise around in it. They have been keeping up on the resto since tear down began in my garage. When The Kokomo Indiana Chrysler Transmission plant has their annual cruise in next September I plan to let them drive that there.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/12/10 06:14 PM

Was he going to rebody due to cowl or frame rail issues? I find is very interesting that it sat outside that long in your climate.
btw I'm partial to 68 bodies (and 69 a12 rr's) your car is a great example!
Posted By: 68_661charger

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/12/10 07:56 PM

Tim, was the orig owner or nephew a truck driver by any chance? Thought I heard about that car sitting a long time ago with the window halfway down. Might be another car tho...

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/12/10 08:06 PM

No. The original owner is a Tool Maker at a factory in Logansport. Has been for years. The nephew is into sales of some kind in Florida. That's why the car sat so long at his Mom and dad's place. He went off to Florida way back when. When I first saw it back in 89 the windows were up.

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 12/12/10 08:08 PM

Yes. Frame rails front and back just scrathes the surface on the issues. Check out one of my earlier responses. I felt great when I got done and the car would run straight down the road. Hands off the wheel.
Posted By: fc7vw9

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 03/23/20 04:32 PM

Hello all, I know this is an older post. My Feb LA built is a decal. I was was lucky enough to get my car back from paint shop jail, before this "shut down". My question is do the C's get applied first or does the long bottom go first? I would think the long bottom, but if someone could add a close up of an original?
Thank you
Ron
Posted By: Tommy The Chryco

Re: 68 Super Bee Tail Panel Blackout Question. - 03/26/20 04:34 PM

My 68 was tape, when paint Ed in 1981 they didn't have tape/decal available so it was painted satin black
© 2024 Moparts Forums