Moparts

1970 Cuda Bumper Jack and Trunk Question

Posted By: V0B Cuda

1970 Cuda Bumper Jack and Trunk Question - 11/19/10 04:51 PM

I have two questions about my Cuda's trunk equipment.
1st is what type and color jack is correct for an original 11/69 production date cuda? Mine has been in the car since I bought it in 1978 and is a dove gray color and the post is plated box style metal. I have been seeing a solid metal type on ebay with black parts, is that correct or is the gray?
2nd what should be the color of the small plastic cap on an original space saver aluminum bottle? Sorry if these have already been asked but for some reason I get error messages when I try to search.

Thanks
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: 1970 Cuda Bumper Jack and Trunk Question - 11/20/10 12:58 AM

I've seen all kinds of combos as far as color on the components between black and grey...And in 70 you could have either a solid or tube mast....Generally{for 70} grey is the dominant color...Even the early 70 tire irons I've had were grey...But never say never...First I'd check the date code on the jack mechanism and see what you've got....Here's a pic of an example of the date code for a solid mast.... 9F translates into 1969/June....This would be an early 70 e-body piece...Other units had the date code on the rivet so look around and see what you've got and go from there...

Attached picture 6310103-jackpic4.JPG
Posted By: ricomondo

Re: 1970 Cuda Bumper Jack and Trunk Question - 11/20/10 01:21 AM

Quote:

2nd what should be the color of the small plastic cap on an original space saver aluminum bottle? Sorry if these have already been asked but for some reason I get error messages when I try to search.

Thanks

The cap should be yellow. IMO, it should be the T mast style thtat Colin has pictured above. I just posted on this a couple of pages back here in the the resto thread.

also check out the link below to see more on date codes for the bumper jack.

bumper jack date codes

Hey Colin...
Posted By: V0B Cuda

Re: 1970 Cuda Bumper Jack and Trunk Question - 11/20/10 03:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. As usual this is the place for answers!

Attached picture 6310329-IMG00171.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 1970 Cuda Bumper Jack and Trunk Question - 11/20/10 03:53 AM

The April 1970 SBD cuda I'm working on now has a tube type and it's dated right for the car , dove grey on the mechanisims

The current owner has onwed since about 1980 or 81 and he's pretty confident it's the original jack
© 2024 Moparts Forums