Moparts

Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart?

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 12:24 AM

Just curious, one guy is promoting his car as "One of 5 specially built by Hurst" in 1969.

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 01:41 AM

Here's an exact quote from the seller and a pic of the car. Ring any bells for anyone?

Quote:

here is some more

info that very few people know about Hemi Darts and that is-

In 1969 Hurst corporation was commissioned to build 5 Hemi Darts and they

did so and they are very rare, rarer than the factory 68 cars and do you

know how I know this I was contacted by one of the engineers who built those

cars before he died and after much discussion and looking in certain areas

of my car (that only he would know) I found out I had his personal Hemi Dart

that he raced in 1969 -YAHOO!! Boy was he happy just to talk to me and see

pics of his car-He also named the car which I put on the car in removable

decals-He also had made marks in a certain area of the car every time they

would win a race and only I know this area in the car - so it gives my car

some value it (was not somebody's clone built in there back yard), again I

do not expect a sh*t pile of money for my car- here is the only reason I am

selling it -

Attached picture 6249210-hemidart.JPG
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 01:54 AM

GOT A VIN # ??

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 02:04 AM

Not yet Tony, probably in the morning
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 02:09 AM

ill bet a big no on that one
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 02:11 AM

What? they're real...I have the other four.
Posted By: Firepowerflyer

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 02:29 AM

I thought I read about those years ago,I would say it's totally possible,but then again what do I know.LOL

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 03:21 AM

Verdict is in, VIN# LM23P9B36XXXX - Nope, not a factory Hemi car as proposed by the owner. Nice looking car though!
Posted By: WINGCARS_6970

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 04:12 AM

I got a Hurst heritage book shows these 2 69 cars

Posted By: WINGCARS_6970

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 04:16 AM

I did find a 68 Super Stock HEMI dart 1 of 50 Made dealer ad from Creveling Dodge Corpus Christi TX

Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 04:20 AM

The two main engineers/technicians were Bob Tarozzi and Ron Mancini. They are both still alive.

Just some dude that turned a 340 car into a Hemi car. At best, a very old clone. And lots of racers did that.

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 04:23 AM

Quote:

Just some dude that turned a 340 car into a Hemi car. At best, a very old clone. And lots of racers did that.

Yep, my initial thoughts as well. I was giving the guy the benifit of the (really SMALL doubt) just in case there was something special I'd never heard of.
Posted By: GregCon

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 04:45 AM

It's easy for you fellows to take shots at him now that his source has up and died. A very convenient passing, I should think, for you critics. I'm afraid I must ask you for your whereabouts on the evening that former Hurst employee, Mr. Yahoo, died.

I, for one, believe the seller. You see, it's a known fact that many Hurst employees would carve notches into their rearends any time one of their cars won a race. Sometimes they would have their wives or even Linda Vaughan do the carving.

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 04:59 AM

Who's being a critic?
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 05:05 AM

Quote:

It's easy for you fellows to take shots at him now that his source has up and died. A very convenient passing, I should think, for you critics. I'm afraid I must ask you for your whereabouts on the evening that former Hurst employee, Mr. Yahoo, died.

I, for one, believe the seller. You see, it's a known fact that many Hurst employees would carve notches into their rearends any time one of their cars won a race. Sometimes they would have their wives or even Linda Vaughan do the carving.

how could you race again with that much ass carving???and seeing lindas
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/14/10 06:05 PM

Quote:

Acually it was Col. Mustard in the kitchen with the candle stick .... Col. Mustard actually had the car built by Dick Landy who then gave it to Lee Cameron to race who then gave it back to Dick. I can prove it cause there is a cigar butt in the ashtray and I have a picture of a Dart - racing - somewhere.
Posted By: topside

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/17/10 02:38 AM

I put a few marks on my car, and only I know where they are; I'm happy to know now that they make the car more valuable!
Posted By: polkat

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/17/10 05:51 AM

Hurst also had a program in the late 60's with, of all folks, American Motors. I don't remember which model they used, but I do remember they were painted red, white, and blue as a salute to the flag. Anyone remember that?

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/17/10 06:08 AM

Quote:

Hurst also had a program in the late 60's with, of all folks, American Motors. I don't remember which model they used, but I do remember they were painted red, white, and blue as a salute to the flag. Anyone remember that?

Those are Super Stock AMX. Bob Tarozzi said he gave notice and once he finshed some Nascar testing in Florida, he went straight to Harry Crane's to start working on the AMX program. Didn't even leave Florida. There is a website that has a lot of S/S AMX docs. If you look at the mods done there, they are very similar ideas to the S/S 68 Hemi cars.

Tarozzi said one of factors of doing the S/S AMX program was the possibility/promise/implication of being a driver on the American Motors entry into Nascar's Grand American series. Jim Paschal was the main driver and Bob only got a couple? starts. Then they lacked funds to run two drivers...typical . Then Bob was hired on at AAR (Gurney) to be the chief engineer on the 70 Barracuda Trans Am effort.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/17/10 07:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Those are Super Stock AMX.

I think he may be thinking of the S/C Rambler based on the Rogue.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/17/10 01:08 PM

Both cars had Hurst connections, but the SS cars were white and often painted in the RWB scheme, which wasn't done as a salute to the flag - they were AMC's branded colors.
Posted By: 68hemiss

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/17/10 04:28 PM

I have researched the 68 Hemi S/S cars quite a bit but never heard of any 69's being built. I also am not aware of any Chrysler Engineers driving in competition - I could be wrong but Mancini worked in the transmission lab - not sure if he was actually an engineer - I don't think John Tedder was either - like I said I could be wrong. Many 68 cars were updated to 69 & 70 models though. Alot of the cars that were updated to 70 models are still unaccounted for. I have spoken to a number of Hurst employees (& shop manager) and never heard of any 69 cars. Ever notice how good the 69 Hurst S/S AMX's launched - I was told that they used the leftover S/S springs from the 68 Hemi program on the cars - apparently Dick Maxwell found out and really chewed them out about this!
Mark J
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/17/10 04:59 PM

Not a chance in he11...
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/17/10 05:05 PM

Looks like the one in Prescott. He's been trying to sell for quite a while. The previous ads did not have this story. I don't know the car or owner, but if all this was documented before, why not have all this in the old ads?

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/17/10 10:54 PM

Quote:

I have researched the 68 Hemi S/S cars quite a bit but never heard of any 69's being built. I also am not aware of any Chrysler Engineers driving in competition - I could be wrong but Mancini worked in the transmission lab - not sure if he was actually an engineer - I don't think John Tedder was either - like I said I could be wrong. Many 68 cars were updated to 69 & 70 models though. Alot of the cars that were updated to 70 models are still unaccounted for. I have spoken to a number of Hurst employees (& shop manager) and never heard of any 69 cars. Ever notice how good the 69 Hurst S/S AMX's launched - I was told that they used the leftover S/S springs from the 68 Hemi program on the cars - apparently Dick Maxwell found out and really chewed them out about this!
Mark J

When I talked to Bob Tarozzi 2 years ago he said Ron Mancini was the technician assigned/picked to him to help with the project. Ron was not an engineeer and was hourly and in the union. Bob mentioned it was tough putting in late hours because Ron couldn't stay because he was hourly.

Got the impression that those two people were the only ones assigned to be dedicated solely 100% on the project. 68hemiss, does this sound right??
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/18/10 11:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mark J

When I talked to Bob Tarozzi 2 years ago he said Ron Mancini was the technician assigned/picked to him to help with the project. Ron was not an engineeer and was hourly and in the union. Bob mentioned it was tough putting in late hours because Ron couldn't stay because he was hourly.

Got the impression that those two people were the only ones assigned to be dedicated solely 100% on the project. 68hemiss, does this sound right??

Ron Mancini did not even get a '68 Hemi Dart in '68. He got his first one off of Gil Clark in '69. I find it hard to believe that he worked on the project and did not even receive one.

Could you be thinking of Ron's Uncle, Dan Mancini?
Posted By: David Hakim

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/19/10 02:10 AM

No.

Hurst was under contract to produce the AMX S/S cars and SC Rambers in their Detroit facility.

Thus no Mopar S/S HEMI A-Bodies where built in 1969.
Posted By: mike s

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/19/10 07:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark J

Ron Mancini did not even get a '68 Hemi Dart in '68. He got his first one off of Gil Clark in '69. I find it hard to believe that he worked on the project and did not even receive one.

Tom Tignanelli was also involved in the project.

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/19/10 10:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark J

I may have misquoted the wrong Mancini. Dave Hakin could verify

But it was thier job. Just because they worked on it, didn't mean they got a car with it.

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/19/10 05:08 PM

Both Ron and his uncle (Dan) were involved the S/S Hemi A-Body program.

Ron was under contract to campaign his '68 440 powered Dart in SS/EA for the Detroit Area Dodge Dealers Association.

The following season, he ran a steel nose '64 Hemi Dodge in SS/DA.

His first HEMI Dart was in 1970 in which he won Indy that year.

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of Hurst Built 1969 Hemi Dart? - 10/19/10 05:15 PM

The confusion around "was there '69 HEMI A-Bodies?" comes from images of Landy's Dart and the S&M Barracuda with 69 model year grilles, taillights, etc.

Chrysler Race Group, product planning and PR wanted to keep their cars as current models for marketing purposes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums