Moparts

70 B-body bumper brackets finish?

Posted By: LimeliteAero

70 B-body bumper brackets finish? - 10/10/10 04:54 PM

Could someone tell me if the rear bumper brackets were natural or painted? If painted were they black or?

TIA!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 70 B-body bumper brackets finish? - 10/10/10 07:52 PM

Black, kind of a semi gloss.

Re: 70 B-body bumper brackets finish? - 10/11/10 02:18 PM

Thanks!!!!!
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: 70 B-body bumper brackets finish? - 10/11/10 04:55 PM

yes they were black. I paint them with a gloss enamel paint that I tone down a little bit with flattening agent so it doesn't have that "too glossy" look. All the paint you buy today is made for the exterior of a car and todays technology has made them pretty glossy. When painting any "part" to a car I always tone down the gloss to more accurately replicate the cheap paints of 40 years ago.

Re: 70 B-body bumper brackets finish? - 10/11/10 05:01 PM

great tip!!!!

I will definetly take your advice and see what I come up with, Im sure ill find the look Im after. I know from prior projects that too flat a finish results in a part that after a few short years looks dirty no matter how clean it is. That being said I will error on the side of too shiney to get more "life" out of my restoration. I also dont want it to look like I cleared everything....Know what I mean.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: 70 B-body bumper brackets finish? - 10/11/10 05:04 PM

yes I definitely know what you mean! It's a real pet-peeve of mine to look at engine bays on restored cars at shows and the brake booster assembly looks like it is painted base/clear and just as shiny as the fender tops.
© 2024 Moparts Forums