Moparts

fasteners with sealer

Posted By: burdar

fasteners with sealer - 09/29/10 07:25 PM

Specifically the nuts that hold the 72-74 Challenger tail light housings to the tail panel but applies to any fastener that had sealer on it.

I refinished the nuts but they had sealer on them from the factory. What should I use to put back on them? I thought about buying some strip calk and filling them with that. The origonal sealer seamed to be that consistancy.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: fasteners with sealer - 09/29/10 07:32 PM

I used UltraSeal black gasket compound. It looks and feels like the old stuff, remaining kinda gooey after it dries. It's hard to tell the difference.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: fasteners with sealer - 09/29/10 07:41 PM

Darren, are you sure yours came with nuts and sealer? My 73 came with the white plastic "tubes" that you pushed into the hole first, then the studs on the letters pushed into the "tubes".

Re: fasteners with sealer - 09/29/10 07:58 PM

I'm not talking about the letters. I'm talking about the tail light housing nuts. There are six nuts per side and have sealer in them.

Where did you get the gasket compound?

Were the plastic tubes on your car white? I see them listed online and they are pink. To be honest, I don't remember removing the letters and have no idea what was there origonally.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: fasteners with sealer - 09/29/10 08:35 PM

Sorry, I read your post to quickly. As for the letters, the "tubes" were shot, so I used the repro letters with the nuts. I don't remember what I used on the taillights.

Re: fasteners with sealer - 09/29/10 09:04 PM

I googled "UltraSeal black gasket compound" and the only thing that came up was black silicon by Permatex. That can't be right.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: fasteners with sealer - 09/29/10 09:55 PM

Yup, believe it or not. It's pretty close. most auto parts stores have it. If you don't like it, you can always use it elsewhere for gaskets. it's great stuff!
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180-Max...bxgy_auto_img_b
Posted By: 71TA

Re: fasteners with sealer - 10/01/10 10:08 PM

You can get black butyl strip caulk from any body parts store. Or I just found a nice black caulk thats not gooey like the butyl thats used on many of the Ford and AMC heater boxes to seal the blower resistors and blower motors. I get it right from the manufacturer that only sells wholesale. Think Norton has a version of black caulk. Think one of those would be very correct.

Attached picture 6227396-08578.jpg

Re: fasteners with sealer - 10/01/10 10:12 PM

Again pretty sure Norton makes a black version of this. More like a rope caulk that you use to seal drafty windows than the gooey butyl type caulk like the stuff used to attach your windshield.

Attached picture 6227401-norton.jpg

Re: fasteners with sealer - 10/02/10 03:29 PM

I'm at the shop this AM bagging some of this stuff. Shoot me your address Darren and I'll send you a dozen strips of each.

Re: fasteners with sealer - 10/02/10 08:57 PM

PM sent. Thanks James!
© 2024 Moparts Forums