Moparts

build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger!

Posted By: moparmat

build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/09/10 07:32 AM

With the rarest options, color combinations, ect.

Maybe a 1970 with a 1971 interior? Late '70 build using '72 next year parts.

Odd stripe package

Interior options.

Whatever was available for this car in 1970. What would be considered the rarest options?

I would like to do a car with rare features as a representation of the rare items that could be ordered or the odd instalments ma mopar made on the assembly line.

Help me out guys!
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/09/10 08:44 PM

How about a combination of options like convertible body style with a 4speed transmission. Then, add airconditioning and for good measure a performance axle package. Hey, that sounds like my old car;

Add weird color combo and you're set with rare.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/09/10 10:06 PM

I should clarify that this car is intended to be a representation if you will of the odd options and what could possibley happen with late production models getting parts/options of the next year cars. For example a '70 with a '71 interior. That sort of thing. Also how I would have built the car had I purchased it in 1970.

I was thinking...

-Hemi orange on black.
-R/T model (maybe SE. Would like to go with louvers but not available on SE model).
-gator skin vinyl top.
-black vinyl interior with orange houndstooth inserts. Orange interior with houndstooth insert would be cool but as I understand the houndstooth only available with black interior.
-power bulge hood with R/T treatment in black.
-440+6bbl
-maybe 4 speed.
-Dana60
-stripe package in the same color as the car. Orange stripe on orange paint. Longitudenal stripe was not avainlable in orange. Bumble bee stripe? Orange or black?
-Go wing

Maybe throw a few late production elements in there like a few '71 options?

I do not want the car too look too "busy". Would the louvers and black R/T with gator vinyl and orange houndstooth be too much? Would louvers and "go wing" make the rear too clustered?

Pros and cons of the SE:

Pro's- overhead consolette, SE trim, SE rear window.

Con's- No louvers!

Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/09/10 10:21 PM

Louvers and 1971 wings go hand in hand.

Nice combo would be Purple, white interior, white stripe, silver bubble on a shaker hood, louver, wing, flip gas cap, rallye wheels, it has to have a hemi and four speed with a dealer installed gear set in the dana. Toss in rubber bumpers and maybe a sun roof and you got it all.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/09/10 10:45 PM

SE models not available with sun roof. Another con of the SE. Sunroof and louvers for non SE model. The SE seems to be getting less and less appealing. Although I had a '68 Barracuda with a non factory sunroof. HATED IT!

Im not a huge fan of purple.

Flip gas cap, ralleye wheels, ralley guage cluster deffinately!

Pistol grip and 4 speed. Maybe...

Hemi if the budget allows but the 440-6 is just as cool in my opinion.

I plan on racing this car and am not a 4 speed guy but I could learn. Auto would be much faster I think.

The second option is to go with the high impact go-green with the option that was meant to be but never happened, vinyl floral Mod Top.

The longitudenal stripe was available in that colour. I would only do white interior on this car. Otherwise, black it is.

Louvers were supposed to be for black vinyl top cars only.

Again, this car is not going to be concours correct. If I ordered it in 1970 this is how I would have like to get it. At the same time, I am mixing it up a bit with some odd options and features some mopars have been known for.
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 12:06 AM

I like the hemi orange / Gatorgrain top combo, that's how my '70 Superbee project was delivered even though hemi orange was not a recommended color with the gator top.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 12:34 AM

Attached picture 6187174-Copyofdealership.JPG
Posted By: EV2DEMON

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 01:13 AM

I think I understand what you're thinking, but some of the things you're talking about aren't rare, they just simply didn't exist.

For example, the orange houndstooth interior wasn't around until 1971, and therefore not possible on an SE in 1970.

There were orange longitudinal stripes, but again, not until 1971. It's a neat idea, but I wouldn't combine options that weren't even possible, or for a different year.

For me, it would be all about the colors. With the V9* painted stripe, the possibilities for a 70 Challenger are almost endless. How about FE5 with a V9Y yellow stripe, and a red interior, or EB7 with a V9V orange stripe and black painted top?
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 02:32 AM

I'd say the two 1971 Hemi Challenger convertibles (non-R/T of course)would have to be at the top of the list.
Did anybody ever make any headway tracking them down ? I believe one was in Alaska ?
Still unverified but believed to be legit.

Greg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 02:35 AM

Quote:

I think I understand what you're thinking, but some of the things you're talking about aren't rare, they just simply didn't exist.

For example, the orange houndstooth interior wasn't around until 1971, and therefore not possible on an SE in 1970.

There were orange longitudinal stripes, but again, not until 1971. It's a neat idea, but I wouldn't combine options that weren't even possible, or for a different year.

Saying it is a late 1970 and you could get all the 1971 options magically is too far of a stretch. That's a square peg in a round hole.

Similar idea to those Canadian 71 Challengers with rubber bumpers and wide hood molding. Those two options could not be ordered together.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 02:51 AM

Quote:

For me, it would be all about the colors. With the V9* painted stripe, the possibilities for a 70 Challenger are almost endless. How about FE5 with a V9Y yellow stripe, and a red interior, or EB7 with a V9V orange stripe and black painted top?

The idea is to replicate bizarre assemblies or what could have been.

For example: Iggy's black on orange 1971 Dodge Demon 340. Built from the factor with a 1972 interior in a 1971 car. Even more interesting is the car has a T/A 340 block from the factory. The car features a few more '72 model parts.

Bizarre car's such as this do exist. Im not building a concours restored car. I am trying to display some of the unique assemblies that could have left Chrysler assembley lines.

If Iggy's Demon could be built with a next year '72 interior, why couldnt a '70 Challenger have a '71 interior or '71 stripes?

Chrysler assembled alot of unique bizarre cars with parts from the year previous or the next with odd options, ect.

There is a quote I read from the article about Iggy's Demon. It reads "Never-say-never when it comes to something Chrysler couldn't have built"

Think of Iggy's car in regards to what I am trying to replicate.

Putting different year interior options in a car that is only less than a year apart is not that far fetched as it sounds. The Demon proves that. And as far as I am concerned, that Demon IS A RARE car because of its unique one of a kind items. You deffinately will not find another one like it.

I am sure there are many more unique cars such as Iggy's Demon that I am not aware of as I am only 23 years old. I am just a young buck still wet behind the ears! But I love these kinds of Mopars! I dont have the money to buy a Hemi Challenger and if I did I sure would not alter it in any way. So if not a Hemi Challenger, why not build a car displaying what I love about Mopars the most being the unique options and bizarre combinations.

On an interesting note, the green floral Mod Top was meant to be available in 1970 but was not. What if it had been? Thats the idea behind my thinking.

I also want to build this car to hopefully one day compete in F.A.S.T!

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 02:57 AM

Quote:

Louvers could be put on Challengers without Vinyl tops. Here is a picture of the car I decribed in my above post minus the Sun Roof and Rubber Bumpers and a color changes.It is an original Louver no vinyl top car.

Also I know of only one Cuda that was built with both a rear window louver and a luggage rack. Chrysler states that this was not to be built, and I believe this was because the luggage rack would hit the louver.

Another example of what "could not" be done but was obviously built.

The car is not supposed to represent what you could have order from the dealership by checking of the options list but rather how Chrysler very well could have built a car with different year items/options with "left overs" from another model year into the next production run such as the Demon mentioned above.

Some R/T Challengers left the factory with T/A hoods as well. How odd is that?

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 03:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Louvers could be put on Challengers without Vinyl tops. Here is a picture of the car I decribed in my above post minus the Sun Roof and Rubber Bumpers and a color changes.It is an original Louver no vinyl top car.

Also I know of only one Cuda that was built with both a rear window louver and a luggage rack. Chrysler states that this was not to be built, and I believe this was because the luggage rack would hit the louver.

The car is not supposed to represent what you could have order from the dealership by checking of the options list but rather how Chrysler very well could have built a car with different year items/options with "left overs" from another model year into the next production run such as the Demon mentioned above.

One or two changover deals, sure. But whipping out the 71 Challeger option guide on top of a 1970 is a bit rediculous.

Just build a 71 Challenger R/T.

Quote:

That was an option. N94.

You should read all the dealer info available over at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 03:14 AM

What Demon are you talking about? I follow those pretty closely and am not familiar with it. Got any pics of the car and fender tag?

The Louvers are a bad example as well, I've seen dozens of non vinyl top Challengers with louvers over the years.

Quote:

Not very odd at all when you consider that the T/A hood was advertised in the factory literature and had it's own option code (N94)

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 03:17 AM

What were you saying about vinyl tops and louvers?

Attached picture 6187567-mid2.jpg
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 03:56 AM

'71 Challenger R/T - Go Mango, 440-6, 4-speed w/console, 3:54 Dana, black shaker, elastomeric bumpers, white vinyl top, black R/T stripes, rear window louvers, rear go-wing, PS, PDB, PW, Sunroof, AM/FM stereo, rallye gauges, white interior, rear defroster, light group, 15x7" rallys, space saver spare, CA. emissions. What did I leave out? Rear shoulder belts???
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 04:18 AM

You are leaving it all up to "WHAT IF?" too big of a field

Build a hardtop "Yellow Jacket" or "Diamante", Chrysler could've.

Or push your limits '70 Challenger SE w/BOSS 429 power & paint it "LeMans Blue".
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 04:28 AM

Quote:

I also want to build this car to hopefully one day compete in F.A.S.T!

FAST racing, the first two letters represent Factory Appearing, right?

You may want to read their rule book, if you start adding 1971 bits or non-1970 options like a mod top they may not allow you to race?
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 04:50 AM

Quote:

What were you saying about vinyl tops and louvers?

Interesting Challenger R/T badge placement on the decklid...

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 04:51 AM

Quote:

'71 Challenger R/T - Go Mango, 440-6, 4-speed w/console, 3:54 Dana, black shaker, elastomeric bumpers, white vinyl top, black R/T stripes, rear window louvers, rear go-wing, PS, PDB, PW, Sunroof, AM/FM stereo, rallye gauges, white interior, rear defroster, light group, 15x7" rallys, space saver spare, CA. emissions. What did I leave out? Rear shoulder belts???

6-way seat...

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 04:52 AM

This....

Attached picture 6187780-JulianoTour2010Dave27.JPG

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 04:58 AM

Seeing this pic of Steve Juliano's Challenger reminds me: wide front moulding pkg., hood pins and front spoiler tips.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 05:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

6-way seat...

I thought Go Mango was a 70 only color?

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 05:02 AM

Quote:

Seeing this pic of Steve Juliano's Challenger reminds me: wide front moulding pkg., hood pins and front spoiler tips.

If you have wide front molding, you can't have rubber bumpers.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 12:56 PM

If you're building a rare '71 Challenger (what could've been)

Make it 'late production'

- Colour only available in '71
- russet plaid interior w/carpet on bottom of doors (or green/white or black/white plaid)
- shaker
- wide hood chrome OR elastomeric bumpers
- if chrome bumpers, make sure that they have jack slots (late production)
- AM cassette
- PW
- SE chrome
- sunroof OR A78 formal roof package
- 6 way seat
- rear seatbelts
- metric (export) gauges
etc.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 01:08 PM

I am not an E body guy but if I were.....70 Challenger R/T convert, Hemi, 4 speed, 4.10 Dana,Shaker, Rallye dash, 15x7 Rallye wheels, PS, PDB, PW, AM/FM, Panther Pink, white top, white interior, white longitudinal stripe. Might not have all the available options but probably would have been 1 of 1.
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 03:55 PM

While certainly no HEMI/Dana/shakker/sunroof car my dads 1971 Challenger was quite an odd one.

Option list is all over the map...
1971 Challenger, FJ6, white interior/top/stripes, 383 Magnum, 4-speed, front & rear spoilers, HD (HEMI) cooling system & radiator, built for export (KPH gauges), HD 14" wheels with wire wheels covers & white wall tires, standard flat hood!

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 04:25 PM

I am going to look at a 1970 Challenger R/T 440-6 auto, dana, orange with black interior, black stripe,black vinyl roof, shaker a few other options. This car would be a good one for you to start with, I do not think it will last long for sale.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 05:23 PM

Here's a fantasy build 71 Challenger R/T

-E74 Hemi
-D21 4 speed
-FJ6 Green Go
-VJ6 Lime R/T stripe
-N94 T/A hood
-M51 Sunroof
-V1X Black Vinyl top
-A22 Front and rear rubber bumpers
-A45 Front and Rear spoilers
-G36 Painted Mirrors
-A44 Rear louvers
-H5F7 dark green with green hounds-tooth interior (not recommended/ with FJ6 or not allowed?) If not H5XX Black Hounds-tooth
-A33 Track Pack
-B41 Disk brakes
-S77 Power Steering
- Tuff Steering Wheel
-R36 AM/FM with cassette
-P31 Power Windows
-J41 Pedal drees up
-J25 Hood pins
-A01 Light group
-C62 6-way seat

Second variation on that would be with EV2 paint, Orange R/T stripe, and orange hounds-tooth interior.

*No rocker panel, door edge, or A46 molding group because it's busy enough looking allready. It would break up the "painted out" theme.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 06:10 PM

By the sounds of it, everything I was thinking of putting on this car is available in '71 except the gator grain vinyl.

Was the SE model available in '71? I dont think it was but I could be wrong?

No sunroof with the SE models most likely due to the over head consolette.

In '71 I can have the colour I want, the stripe I want, the interior I want, so on and so on...

I can not have the gator grain? Or the option of the T/A hood?

Apparently most option packages offered in '70 were the same in '71.

Maybe its best to start with a '71 model.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 07:00 PM

Quote:

Was the SE model available in '71?

The small back window was available. It wasn't a separate model like '70. It was OPTION code A78 - "formal roof package".
Quote:

the option of the T/A hood?

The N94 "T/A" hood is another '71 OPTION.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 08:16 PM

Quote:

What Demon are you talking about? I follow those pretty closely and am not familiar with it. Got any pics of the car and fender tag?

The Louvers are a bad example as well, I've seen dozens of non vinyl top Challengers with louvers over the years.

Quote:

Not very odd at all when you consider that the T/A hood was advertised in the factory literature and had it's own option code (N94)

The Demon was a feature car in Mopar Colectors Magazine. It competes in f.a.s.t. The owners name is Iggy. Dave Dudek assembled the engine. Heres a link to the engine build up with some facts about the car. T/A block, orange '72 interior in a '71, black stripes on black paint.

http://bfastracingmessageboard.runboard.com/t352,offset=0

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Was the SE model available in '71?

The small back window was available. It wasn't a separate model like '70. It was OPTION code A78 - "formal roof package".
Quote:

the option of the T/A hood?

The N94 "T/A" hood is another '71 OPTION.

T/A hood or shaker for a six pack car...

I really wanted to gator grain vinyl!

It would make more sense to start with a '71.

Its still possible that a '70 could be built with a '71 interior.

Basically it comes down to the gator grain top and colour of the stripes for each year. everything else it seems could be had on a '71 model.

If I did a 70' model the stripes could be a black or white I suppose. But the interior Is not available. STILL, it was possible!
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 09:54 PM

1) Louvers were available with or without vinyl tops. But if it had a vinyl top it had to be black.

2 I'm not following you. Seems like you are making a big deal about nothing here. You want to make up a rare or unique car, so just do it. What does it matter that it could/couldn't be available? It's not a factory car anyways. You'd put 71 stripes on a 70 and then worry that you couldn't get a certain color or top or interior?
Posted By: anlauto

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 10:32 PM

I find this all confusing as well

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 11:00 PM

Quote:

The Demon was a feature car in Mopar Colectors Magazine. It competes in f.a.s.t. The owners name is Iggy. Dave Dudek assembled the engine. Heres a link to the engine build up with some facts about the car. T/A block, orange '72 interior in a '71, black stripes on black paint.

http://bfastracingmessageboard.runboard.com/t352,offset=0

That's the car I thought you were talking about. There is nothing 1972 about the interior it has. My (September 1970) 1971 Demon has the exact same interior, long before the 72 stuff would have been in production. In fact, that orange interior wasn't even offered in 1972.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/10/10 11:20 PM

Quote:

1) Louvers were available with or without vinyl tops. But if it had a vinyl top it had to be black.

2 I'm not following you. Seems like you are making a big deal about nothing here. You want to make up a rare or unique car, so just do it. What does it matter that it could/couldn't be available? It's not a factory car anyways. You'd put 71 stripes on a 70 and then worry that you couldn't get a certain color or top or interior?

I see your point about my concern with different options for each year. That being said, I will try and be more clear what what I am trying to decide upon.

Ok, the idea is to build the car for a specific time period. I am leaning more towards early 1971 because it could have been built with the features I desire except the gator top.

I got the idea of mixing a FEW different year items from the Demon I mentioned in an earlier post. That car was built BY THE FACTORY in late '71 which is why it has the '72 interior. The car was not optioned this way. Here is a quote from the article:

"Perhaps most interesting of all, this was not a special order car or a "sold car," but was a generic sales bank car sent out to an unknown dealership in Southern Florida when new. So, as bizarre as this one is, apparently, they were just using up leftover '71 parts and getting these things out the door so they could start building the slightly different '72 models."

So basically I am trying to replicate a "sales bank" car.

That is the idea behind putting different year features on the car from the next or previous year depending which year I decide to build. Example, '71 year with a '70 "leftover" gator top. Or, 70' body with '71 interior. Make sense now?

The reason I am so concerned about mixing and matching different parts/options/features is because some options were not available until a specific time of production. If the car had been built in the right time of the production year, its possible it could have left the factory like Iggy's Demon with mixed parts.

Also, not everyone wanted the rare options that would have been available in 1970. Chrysler did not produce these parts as they were ordered for each car. That wouldn't make sense. They were likely produced in bulk. Now, as the Demon clearly displays, these leftover parts could have been thrown into the next year models to simpley rid of them and make room for the next production run.

I am still trying to make sense of how I want to build the car myself! I do not know all the options available for each year of the specific dates to which they are available. I am only asking for input of what were rare options that could be included in the build.

Sure, its not a factory car. But the IDEA is that IT HAS BEEN DONE.

I know to some of you it may be but its one of the things I love about Mopars. The Mod Top vinyl roofs, the wild colours, and the bizarra assemblies such as the Demon. Steve Juliano owns a Mod Top 'Cuda with a Hemi. Its an odd colour combination but I LOVE IT.
Posted By: Desmond

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/11/10 05:28 PM

Start with a 4-speed 1970 Challenger Convertible, paint it TX9 Black, black top, 426 Hemi, N96 OR N94, H6XV hemi orange interior, power windows, Rallyes, bumblebee orange tail stripe. Challenger T/A big and little Polyglas GTs front and rear - 'cause you "had 'em swap them at the dealer off a new T/A in '70", H25 heater delete because it was Hawaii-bound, radio delete because it was going to be a race car but plans changed.

call it a day.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/11/10 06:26 PM

Quote:

Kinda my thought...
Posted By: Commando1

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/11/10 08:23 PM

Find me ONE A/C car with heater and clock delete.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/11/10 08:51 PM

Quote:

Start with a 4-speed 1970 Challenger Convertible, paint it TX9 Black, black top, 426 Hemi, N96 OR N94, H6XV hemi orange interior, power windows, Rallyes, bumblebee orange tail stripe. Challenger T/A big and little Polyglas GTs front and rear - 'cause you "had 'em swap them at the dealer off a new T/A in '70", H25 heater delete because it was Hawaii-bound, radio delete because it was going to be a race car but plans changed.

call it a day.

I like it! Not a fan of convertibles but, a hard top would look pretty nice! Thanks!

I have seen an orange on orange E-body in my area. I have not seen the car for a few years. Not sure it is even around anymore. I believe it also had a sun roof. Cool car!
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/11/10 09:09 PM

Sorry but your building a "what if".. You asked about building a "rare" car but what your building is fantasy... Rare would be something the factory built that is unusual not something you cobbled together...

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/11/10 11:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

One or two changover deals, sure. But whipping out the 71 Challeger option guide on top of a 1970 is a bit rediculous.

Just build a 71 Challenger R/T.

Quote:

That was an option. N94.

You should read all the dealer info available over at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

I was refering to 1971 Challengers in regards to the N94 T/A hood. The option was available in 1970, but in 1971 it was not according to the link you provided. Only N96 shaker hood was an option. Supposedly 3 or so 1971 Challengers left the factory with N94 T/A hoods. I can not recall where I gathered that information but I will try to source it. Again this is odd, but not impossible considering the T/A was supposed to be an option in 1971 but was discontinued. Would be rare to find a 1971 Challenger with N94 T/A hood considering no T/A's were supposed to be built. What do you guys think? Anyone have any information that could clear this up?

Also, whats the deal with the fixed rear quarter glass?

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/11/10 11:49 PM

Quote:

The Challenger "Deputy" had fixed 1/4 windows, it was introduced mid-model year 1970 & was continued for the '71 model year.
The largest available engine was 383 4bbl.

There are currently more known '71s with the N94 hood than non-T/A '70s with the hood.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/11/10 11:53 PM

Quote:

I was refering to 1971 Challengers in regards to the N94 T/A hood. The option was available in 1970, but in 1971 it was not according to the link you provided. Only N96 shaker hood was an option. Supposedly 3 or so 1971 Challengers left the factory with N94 T/A hoods. I can not recall where I gathered that information but I will try to source it. Again this is odd, but not impossible considering the T/A was supposed to be an option in 1971 but was discontinued. Would be rare to find a 1971 Challenger with N94 T/A hood considering no T/A's were supposed to be built. What do you guys think? Anyone have any information that could clear this up?

N94 was available on 1971 Challenger. I think there were more N94 Challengers thought to be made than 1970 Challengers. IIRC, there are more 71 N94's known to exist today (not much bearing on what was actually made).

Not in the 1971 Dodge Dealership Data Book but in the 1971 Salesman's Pocket Guide.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/imag...hallenger_4.jpg

Quote:

That was part of the A93 Challenger Coupe package. Only on Challengers not available on Challenger R/T's. So... The largest engine with A93 is 383-4bbl N-code. Not Available with 340 motor. A93's have a black rimmed steering wheel instead of woodgrain, fixed rear windows with plug for window crank, no cigarette lighter, cheaper 71 Barracuda-"like" plain seats, no day-nite anti glare mirror, std motor was 198 (225 on non coupe Challengers).

You could get an A93 coupe with shaker, sunroof, rubber bumpers, wings, louvers... Just like you could on a regualar Challenger.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/12/10 12:05 AM

Aaah... I see now. Thanks for clearing that up for my fella's.
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 09/12/10 03:22 PM

Years ago I parted out a 71 R/T Challenger that was an A78 formal roof package car. It had a 383 auto,3.23 sure grip, A/C and magnums. Painted gold with a white interior. Fool me to part that car as its worth 3 times as much as my 74 I used the parts for I also had another 71 R/T that was a 340 auto on the column,black bucket interior,black paint with the black R/T stripe,3.91 axle package,Gull wing and manual disc brakes. Cool cars I should have in my garage now
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/17/11 12:39 AM

Quote:

You could get an A93 coupe with shaker, sunroof, rubber bumpers, wings, louvers... Just like you could on a regualar Challenger.

That sounds like the way to go to me. I like this topic. Since it's an old thread, I hope the original poster won't mind if I hijack it!

New guidlines,... Any 70-74 Challenger with most possible rare features. Car won't be raced, so performance is not an issue, and I don't care if it looks tacky or overly busy. Think of it like a dealer demonstration car showing off rare options/features. That means the car must have been able to be factory built according to the engineering diagrams. None of that wierd stuff like factory errors, leftover parts, dealer modifications, or options that weren't allowed to be together.

Let's see what we can come up with.

Tav
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/17/11 04:13 AM

I had a rare Challenger for 20 years. FM3 R/T, pink stripes, rear spoiler, Am8trk, 15X7 rallyes, rocker moldings to name a few. I'd order that same car but add window louvers and of course a 26er under the shaker hood.

Sheldon
Posted By: fig426

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/17/11 04:36 AM

Quote:

I had a rare Challenger for 20 years. FM3 R/T, pink stripes, rear spoiler, Am8trk, 15X7 rallyes, rocker moldings to name a few. I'd order that same car but add window louvers and of course a 26er under the shaker hood.

Sheldon

How about a 70 383 shaker, FM3 with white interior, black vinyl top, white bumblebee stripe, spoiler package, with magnum 500's?
Posted By: P1970HeMICuDA

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/17/11 03:09 PM

I'd build a '71 Hemi Challenger R/T convertible.

The car would be J6 Sassy Grass with white interior, White R/T stripes and Black top.

The car would have Front and Rear Spoilers, Rubber bumpers, Shaker (black), hood pins, PW, PS, PDB, color keyed seat belts, rear shoulder belts, blackout grille and tailpanel, 15x7 Rallyes, Rimblow, AM-FM Stereo Cassette, Rallye Dash, 4-speed with Console, Track pack 3.54 Dana.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/17/11 04:35 PM

Quote:

-E74 Hemi
-D21 4 speed
-FJ6 Green Go
-VJ6 Lime R/T stripe
-N94 T/A hood
-M51 Sunroof
-V1X Black Vinyl top
-G36 Painted Mirrors
-A44 Rear louvers
-H5F7 dark green with green hounds-tooth interior (not recommended/ with FJ6 or not allowed?) If not H5XX Black Hounds-tooth
-A33 Track Pack
-B41 Disk brakes
-S77 Power Steering
- Tuff Steering Wheel
-R36 AM/FM with cassette
-P31 Power Windows
-J41 Pedal drees up
-J25 Hood pins
-A01 Light group
-C62 6-way seat

Second variation on that would be with EV2 paint, Orange R/T stripe, and orange hounds-tooth interior.

*No rocker panel, door edge, or A46 molding group because it's busy enough looking allready. It would break up the "painted out" theme.

A22 is a Barracuda code, not Challenger

I think Challenger is M73 and it's not list on the fender tag

I do like your choices

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/17/11 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

-E74 Hemi
-D21 4 speed
-FJ6 Green Go
-VJ6 Lime R/T stripe
-N94 T/A hood
-M51 Sunroof
-V1X Black Vinyl top
-G36 Painted Mirrors
-A44 Rear louvers
-A33 Track Pack
-B41 Disk brakes
-S77 Power Steering
- Tuff Steering Wheel
-R36 AM/FM with cassette
-P31 Power Windows
-J41 Pedal drees up
-J25 Hood pins
-A01 Light group
-C62 6-way seat

A22 is a Barracuda code, not Challenger

I think Challenger is M73 and it's not list on the fender tag

I do like your choices

My bad. There are codes for front only and front and rear together rubber bumpers. Are they both M prefix codes?

Just fastasy building a "weido" triple color car. The 70/71 colored side stripe are cool. Could do the same with EV2, orange 71 stripes, and orange houndstooth interior.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 01:22 AM

Quote:

Since it's an old thread, I hope the original poster won't mind if I hijack it!

New guidlines,... Any 70-74 Challenger with most possible rare features. Car won't be raced, so performance is not an issue, and I don't care if it looks tacky or overly busy. Think of it like a dealer demonstration car showing off rare options/features. That means the car must have been able to be factory built according to the engineering diagrams. None of that wierd stuff like factory errors, leftover parts, dealer modifications, or options that weren't allowed to be together.

Let's see what we can come up with.

Alright, since I'm going for unique, I'm going to start with a 1970 Challenger. The 70 Challenger has several dash pieces that are unique and not used on the later cars.

Rarest engine is probably the 198 6 cylinder, & rarest color is probably 999. I've got to have rear seat shoulder belts. Hmm, where to start? this is going to take some thinking...

Tav
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 02:52 AM

I think this chart should be a nice guide to figure out a nice color combo. I couldn't find it on Barry's site so I uploaded my copy.

I know black/orange was suggested. What other interesting colors combinations can you think of?

Attached picture 6638608-bumblebeestripes.jpg

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 04:01 AM

Hi Diego, Great to see you here. I have a copy of that code guide myself, and also could not find it on Barry's site. I've offered him a copy of mine a couple times, but no response so far. Yours looks a little easier to read than mine, but mine is legible. I have 1970-1973 Challenger, & 1971-1973 Barracuda. I'm missing the 1970 Barracuda, 1974 Barracuda, & 1974 Challenger. Do you happen to have any of the ones I'm missing?

Thanks again!

Tav

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 04:26 AM

Quote:

Hi Diego, Great to see you here.

But I'm always here!

Anyway, It's strange that Barry did not respond - it's not like him.

Shoot me an email and it'll remind me to search through my files at a better time.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 04:49 AM

Quote:

... What other interesting colors combinations can you think of?

TX9 paint
9T Tan bumble bee stripe
Tan interior
FT6 two tone top

TX9 paint
FK5 bumble bee stripe
Burnt Orange interior
FK5 two tone top

TX9 paint
FE5 bumble bee stripe
Red interior
FE5 two tone top

TX9 paint
EB7 bumble bee stripe
Blue interior
EB7 two tone top
Posted By: ebodyseast

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 05:45 AM

Asking for limited production factory options like cruise control in her boys, and Tav knows as much as anyone about this option, and sure that he would agree it appears all these years later that very few were put into in an E body and the stalk is unique to e-body, good luck in finding the next one for sale and then need to find every part. I'd guess the stalk has been NS1/Obsolete for many years, leaving j-yard and used parts to choose from.
And you can't forget the limited production options for e-body like the headlight time delay. The relay and wiring harness is unique to the E body. The relay is NS1/Obsolete/not available through Chrysler, again, good luck in finding the next one for sale. I bought the last one for sale last week and paid.

The deluxe seatbelts with holders is another limited production option. In what color is limited of these? Red?

How about interior color? In my experience - Blue/Gold/Red were limited production, maybe not in that order...

Will it have a buddy seat or overhead consolette?

And what is this inside hood release for E body in the 70-71 parts catalog? Again, was limited production or never made it onto the E Body.

How about front bumper guards, fender turn signals and the 28 spoke wheel covers for 14" and a non-AAR strobe stripe. Bumper jack cover in the trunk!

Gotta have M46, you know it.

This car decide if it may need a/c and all plumbing if no fresh air since it too could be considered 'limited' in E body and other early 70's muscle cars.

Have fun with the rest guys

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 06:24 AM

Quote:

Rarest engine is probably the 198 6 cylinder

I looked into it a little... Hemi is the rarest, with 198 6 cylinder in second place. The 225 6 cylinder is a very distant 3rd place.

Tav

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 06:32 AM

Quote:

rarest color is probably 999

After thinking about it, using the 999 paint code is sort of like cheating. Maybe we shouldn't use the codes that let us make up anything we'd like.

No 999 paint, Z special order engine digit in the VIN, D49 special order transmission, or D69 special order axle. I've seen all but one of these on real E bodies, but lets don't be silly.

I don't want to build the '70 Challenger SE w/BOSS 429 power & paint it "LeMans Blue" that Dan mentioned earlier in this thread.

Tav

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 06:48 AM

Those would be beautiful V02 color combinations, but the code guide I'm looking at says interior on V02 cars should match the lower paint color. (black in your examples)

I like the idea of the V02. It's more rare than the Gator Grain top. Anybody know how many 70 Challengers had a factory M51 Sun Roof?

Tav

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 07:16 AM

Quote:

What other interesting colors combinations can you think of?

From a rarity standpoint, I think paint would be...
1. FJ6 Green-Go
2. FM3 Panther Pink
3. TX9 Black
4. BL1 Beige
5. DY3 Cream
6. EB7 Dark Blue Metallic

Interiors would be...
1. HRT5 Leather Bucket Tan
2. HRK4 Leather Bucket Burnt Orange
3. H5B5 Cloth & Vinyl Bucket Blue
4. H5K4 Cloth & Vinyl Bucket Burnt Orange
5. H4B5 Vinyl Split Bench Blue
6. H6E4 Vinyl Bucket Red

For the most part, those paint colors are rarer than those interiors.
Were FJ6 or FM3 available for V02? What interiors could they have?
Than again, the Split Bench Seat is pretty tempting. Almost everyone has some type of buckets.

Tav

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 07:25 AM

Good to hear from you again ebodyseast. There's so many great people in this thread.

cruise control, time delay, and deluxe seatbelts are excellent ideas.

I don't think the interior hood release was available until 71.

The strobe stripe and M46 are barracuda items, and we're building a challenger.

Tav

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 07:50 AM

We've got a few types of 70 Challengers to choose from. In order of rarity they are...

1. Challenger 340 A66 convertible
2. Challenger R/T convertible
3. Challenger Western Sport Special A91
4. Challenger T/A A53
5. Challenger convertible
6. Challenger Deputy A93
7. Challenger R/T SE
8. Challenger SE
9. Challenger 340 A66 hardtop
10. Challenger R/T hardtop
11. Challenger hardtop

Tav

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 02:26 PM

Quote:

TX9 paint
9T Tan bumble bee stripe
Tan interior
FT6 two tone top......

Now you're thinkin'!

While everyone is building purple Challengers, there's going to be someone out there who will build a white car with VJ9 stripe and FJ5 painted top. Not only would it look stunning, but he's gonna get all the glory in the magazines because he creatively used the option list to build a special car.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 02:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

TX9 paint
9T Tan bumble bee stripe
Tan interior
FT6 two tone top......

Now you're thinkin'!

While everyone is building purple Challengers,

What do you mean by this? The Challenger convertible i'm building,was FC7 from the factory,am I supposed to paint it a different color,just because everyone is building purple clones?

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 04:21 PM

Quote:

just because everyone is building purple clones?

Yes.

Why do the same, old same-old when there's a whole 'nother world out there?

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 04:40 PM

Quote:

Those would be beautiful V02 color combinations, but the code guide I'm looking at says interior on V02 cars should match the lower paint color. (black in your examples)

I like the idea of the V02. It's more rare than the Gator Grain top. Anybody know how many 70 Challengers had a factory M51 Sun Roof?

Tav

The way I was reading it was that one of the two exterior colors had to match the interior. Maybe I didn't read it carefully enough.

IMHO it's just more stunning if the interior matches one of the exterior colors (stripe or top).

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 06:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

just because everyone is building purple clones?

Yes.

Why do the same, old same-old when there's a whole 'nother world out there?

Because the fender tag says it came that color thats why.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 07:04 PM

Quote:

Because the fender tag says it came that color thats why.

Then if you're building a car per the fender tag, there's a good chance it isn't a clone, right?

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 07:26 PM

I'm just bustin on ya about that everybody builds Purple Challengers comment! My wifes 70 Challenger convertible is an original FC7 Plum Crazy Purple non R/T 383 car,with a white convertible top and interior. I know that there are a lot of purple Challengers at the shows now a days,but not too many of them actually came that way from the factory.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 07:40 PM

I can't begrudge an original FC7 car.

Especially with a V9Y stripe, although even those are starting to get tiring.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 07:40 PM

Actually, something like 22% of all '70 Challengers were FC7 when new.

Is it a 383 4bbl? Got pics of the non-R/T 383 emblem & car?

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 09:02 PM

Quote:

not too many of them actually came that way from the factory.

I missed this one.

Indeed, Dan is right - NOT rare at all!

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 10:10 PM

Quote:

IMHO it's just more stunning if the interior matches one of the exterior colors (stripe or top).

All the examples I see in the coding guide show the interior matching the lower body color, but I definately agree that a colored interior that coordinated with the V02 Top color would look fabulous!

Isn't there a waiver or edit code somewhere that allows the use of non recomended color combinations? I don't see it at the moment.

Tav

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/18/11 10:30 PM

I think something like a B5 with a V9E stripe would require the waiver. As I've seen similar combos on Corvettes and even a '73 Road Runner (as Petty Blue), I think it could work.
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/19/11 03:31 AM

Quote:

I have a FC7 383 two barrel 70 Vert with air, with white interior and top, I added a V9W white Bumble Bee Stripe to the rear, according to the chart posted it looks like you could only get the V9Y Stripe? WOW I thought for sure you could get a white rump stripe.

Attached picture 6640388-challengervertrestoration027.jpg
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/19/11 03:41 AM

I am also going to build a 71 Clone car and am digging the GY3 Curious Yella "no one has mentioned this color" with rubber bumpers, and shaker hood. Rear Louvers would kick it up a notch also.

Attached picture 6640411-1971gy3.jpg

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/19/11 05:50 AM

Quote:

I have a FC7 383 two barrel 70 Vert with air, with white interior and top, I added a V9W white Bumble Bee Stripe to the rear, according to the chart posted it looks like you could only get the V9Y Stripe? WOW I thought for sure you could get a white rump stripe.

I think it's an issue of the chart being poorly done because obviously white or black stripes go with any color. I didn't notice this before.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/19/11 07:07 AM

My car with the following additions/changes would be sick "RARE".

FJ6 intead of FF4 +$14.05
V1X instead of V1F n/c
4-speed instead of automatic +$194.85 - 227.05
add the "performance axle package" +$102.15
add a sunroof +$461.45 - 83.95
add rear window louvers +$91.10

if the Air Conditioned - T/A hood'd - spoilered - 383 R/T wasn't rare enough .....
you could've ditched the A/C and sunroof from the fantasy car & bought a loaded HEMI car.

-- forgot to add the rear shoulder belts +$26.45 to go along with the existing partial horn ring

GG's "white book" shows 114 Challengers & 82 Challenger R/Ts with SUNROOFs.

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/19/11 11:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My wifes car is an original FC7 383 2 barrel car also. Hers does not have A/C though.
Posted By: Day2Runner

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 05/19/11 02:20 PM

Quote:

I find this all confusing as well

Posted By: MooVstunts

Re: build me a rare 1970-71 dodge challenger! - 11/29/19 07:32 PM

Any super knowledgable Mopar head know if it was possible to have a 70 or 71 Vert with an H5 (Cloth & Vinyl Bucket Seats) interior? I always thought this was an option but I just looked at a 1970 Dodge Color & Trim Book Challenger and it indicates that this was not available for a Convertible. And now that I think about it - I cannot recall seeing an ebody convertible with Cloth and Vinyl interior... Assuming it was possible my rare build with start this way...
© 2024 Moparts Forums