Moparts

Best way to remove paint from shaker ring?

Posted By: Convertcuda

Best way to remove paint from shaker ring? - 09/06/10 11:07 PM

Stripper people say could cause problems?
Sandblasting eats the metal?

How about worn glass beed on low pressure

Thanks Moparts
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Best way to remove paint from shaker ring? - 09/07/10 12:26 AM

Use full strength aircraft paint stripper, it won't harm an original at all. DO NOT blast it with anything! That's where you can start causing damage.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Best way to remove paint from shaker ring? - 09/07/10 12:49 AM

I done a few in the past with glassbead, no distortion, just don't lay on it for any time, if it has a ton of repaints on it, strip most of the crud with stripper, the glassbead will put some tooth on the part for paint to stick,...use a good quality etch primer because it's basically aluminum (potmetal) base primers will peel down the road, causing paint finish problems
Posted By: Convertcuda

Re: Best way to remove paint from shaker ring? - 09/07/10 03:18 AM

Hi Scott,
The reason I got alarmed is this. Someone told if use paint strip on it - it gets into the pours of the potmetal and it is hard to clean out. Then when it sits out in the hot sun it resurfaces causing the new paint to left. Any thought on this?

Ken
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Best way to remove paint from shaker ring? - 09/07/10 04:01 AM

crushed walnut shells, or baking soda works if you have the equipment. takes the paint, but not the metal. i've seen guys do damage with glass beading. the aircraft stripper sounds interesting. you know they have a lot of supervisory regs, dealing with the FAA and what you can and cant use. i would imagine anything they use, has been tested and documented as safe.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Best way to remove paint from shaker ring? - 09/07/10 04:13 AM

The sell the aircraft stipper at Home Depot here, it's not a big deal. I have used it ALLOT with no painting issues after a good rinse in plain old water and thinner.
© 2024 Moparts Forums