Moparts

Everyone opinion on passager side mirror

Posted By: Crock

Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/18/10 12:08 AM

I have a 66 Plymouth Belvedere and my question is should i mount a passager side mirror or not? From the factory it didn't come with one but i have seen several do it and several not mount one so i'm just asking opinion on what do you guys think?
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/18/10 01:19 AM

i will mount one on my convertible ...seems funny driving without it since my other cuda has one...i tend to glance that way when driving...
Posted By: 70RT27N

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/18/10 01:26 AM

If you drive the car, and you're not concerned with it being 100% original, then mount the mirror. It is a safety concern. I mounted one on my Challenger years ago because I was so used to checking all my mirrors in my daily driver, that it was distracting, to not have one on the Challenger.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/18/10 04:28 AM

I like them on E-bodies and 71 and later B-s. However they look like they're extra weight on a nice trim 63-70 B-body. I have great visibility on my 66 Coronet 500 and don't miss not having one at all. It's just one of those things that depends on what you like.

Sheldon
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/18/10 06:22 AM

I added one on the r/s of my 67, I like the way it makes the looks balanced out.

The key for actual usefulness is to make sure of the correct mounting location.
It's farther back than the l/s mirror by several inches.
I asked on here where it should be located and all the responses said "even with the drivers side" which was wrong.
I drilled the holes based on that, the mirror is useable but slightly blocked by the A-pillar.
To make the mirror completely useable it has to be mounted in the correct location.
Posted By: sandbagger

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/19/10 04:13 AM

I've seen a few guys add them to there Bee's and they don't look out of place but I just can't pull myself to add one.

Attached picture 6147354-Oldpic767(Large).jpg
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/19/10 04:24 AM

I guess I am spoiled by having two mirrors on my newer cars.
My driveway is very narrow and I need a right side mirror to park into my garage,and to paralell park downtown.

I was taught to back into my parking spaces--not drive in.So a right side mirror I feel is necessary.

If you get a correct looking mirror,use it for what it is and not worry about what others think
Plus it may save some embarrassment and avoid any boo-boo's
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/19/10 06:21 AM

I started driving without one, a long time ago. There were very few cars that had them back in the day...
It does help with lane changes..it is really what you feel comfortable with...
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/19/10 08:51 AM

Any time I drive my car to work, 35 highway miles one way, I curse that it doesn't have a pass side mirror.
If you plan to drive it with any regularity, I'd put one on.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/19/10 09:05 AM

Every car I own has dual mirrors. How people drove without them is beyond me. Even backing in and out with my project dart I mounted it up to prevent an accident.
Posted By: klunick

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/19/10 09:52 PM

I don't have a choice now. I am 10% blind in my right eye. My drivers license actually says that I am required to have dual mirrors???? I have never seen that before or heard of anyone having that on a license. The funny thing is, I am blind in that eye's vision up by the bridge of my nose. My periphial vision and straight ahead is just fine. What the right eye misses, the left eye picks up anyway. Now for the OP's question, I think it should look fine.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/20/10 02:08 AM

To me those mirrors are pretty useless except for backing into a tight spot.
The lack of convex combined with the small diameter only allows you to see a tiny area.
When I drive my 'doba and go to change lanes, it take a second to get used to seeing a headlight or grille so large in the reflection.
I would rather just look over my shoulder.
Posted By: intragration

Re: Everyone opinion on passager side mirror - 08/23/10 03:19 PM

I've seen cars as late as the early-'60s without even a driver's side mirror. I don't know when these became standard and/or required. My preference is to use the car as it came from the factory. If it didn't come with the passenger mirror, then I don't use one. It takes a little more effort, but as long as you're not changing lanes or backing up without knowing what's there, there is no safety issue. Truth be told, I think it's kind of cool to have no passenger side mirror, some people are surprised to find that they weren't always there. Same with the shoulder belt.
© 2024 Moparts Forums