Moparts

Decode this tag

Posted By: MrFoFody

Decode this tag - 08/16/10 08:22 AM

Hello all, I have someone intersted in this car which the seller claims is an original 383 4spd car. Looking at the data tag with the little info I've gathered, I've come to the conclusion that he's full of it but he denies, cries and is ignorant. What is the original motor of this 1964 Plymouth?

Attached picture 6142111-datatag.jpg

Re: Decode this tag - 08/17/10 04:56 AM

79 views and no responses? I need some opinions on this so I can direct the seller to this thread.
Posted By: Culvers

Re: Decode this tag - 08/17/10 12:47 PM

It should be a Plymouth Sport Fury with the standard 318 engine (there is no code for a bigger engine, so it must be the standard engine), 4-speed transmisson, black interior, white paint, power vent windos, air conditioning,

64 tags are very hard to decode...
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: Decode this tag - 08/17/10 02:48 PM

Quote:

VIN will tell which assembly plant, which is helpful.

Re: Decode this tag - 08/17/10 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

VIN will tell which assembly plant, which is helpful.

How will the vin help? The data tag holds the engine info. Isn't the 31 in the second row the the engine code?
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Decode this tag - 08/17/10 10:27 PM

... Lynch Road puts the eng code under A-B with the standard eng code not stamped.

...Hamtramck puts the eng code under O-R with standard eng not stamped.

So the VIN having the Assembly plant # in the 4th digit helps.

1-Lynch Road,Mi.
2-Hamtramck,Mi.
3-Jefferson,MI.
4-Belvedere,I.l
5-Los Angeles,Ca.
6-Newark,De.
7-St. Louis,Mo.

This info is from a 1996 code book, there maybe some updated info, and there's guy's on here that know far more than I can help...
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Decode this tag - 08/18/10 05:36 AM

Quote:

What is the original motor of this 1964 Plymouth?

GG's white books show the decodes for Lynch Road and Hamtramck tags. This is where most people go to look for the decode info. The book only shows how to decode a Lynch Road, Hamtramck and Jefferson tag.

This is not a LR built car as the gate and base numbers are not on the top line.

It does not appear to be from St. Louis plant.

The font looks like a thin font LA plant tag. Is it possible this car was built at the LA plant? The VIN would read 3445******.

I don't know how a 64 LA tag is laid out but going by other plants, IF this is an LA plant car, then the 3 under the A might signify a four speed and the 6 under the C might signify the 383.

The guy could be telling the truth. The best way to confirm what the car came with is via the broadcast sheet. Is it or the window sticker available? You could also run the VIN by Chrysler historical to see if they have a copy of the IBM card. That would tell you for sure.
© 2024 Moparts Forums