Moparts

trans #'s on warranty trans??

Posted By: His and Her 69's

trans #'s on warranty trans?? - 07/30/10 12:49 AM

I bought my 70 bee from a friend minus engine/trans and now I want to get the original ones from him. He's the original owner.
I have the correct motor as the VIN #'s are on the block oil pan rail.
The question I have is he said the trans got replaced under warranty within 5 years of him buying the car from the dealership. The trans he is telling me that came out of the car has NO VIN #'s on it. Since it was a warranty one I can believe that.

Is there any way I can tell if this trans was ACTUALLY in the car as a warranty replacement one?? I believe him but he is a Salesman so ???

Would the #'s on the trans pan rail mean anything or tell me anything that might help??

Since the trans isn't VIN stamped it could be a replacement but I just don't want to buy something and find out later I got taken.
I have to go look at the trans again since it's been 20 years since I first looked at it and bought the car. I was a kid and the original motor/trans didn't mean anything at the time to me. I just wanted a 70 bee to play with.

Thanks for any help. David eschedr@bgsu.edu
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: trans #'s on warranty trans?? - 07/30/10 01:02 AM

Quote:

Is there any way I can tell if this trans was ACTUALLY in the car as a warranty replacement one?? I believe him but he is a Salesman so ???

Two part answer:

#1. You can only verify if an engine or trans has been replaced under warranty if it is accompanied by original dealer paperwork documenting it as such.

#2. Even though I'm sure some dealers might have marked the specific trans or engine upon installing it, generally speaking (read - pretty much "didn't happen") you will not find any stampings that tie any particular replacement engine or trans to any specific car. The numbers you noticed are likely manufacturing date codes tied to when the trans was actually built. Post a pic of them here for a decode.
Posted By: sawdust

Re: trans #'s on warranty trans?? - 07/30/10 01:08 AM

I agree with Scott, as they did not stamp VIN #s on warranty replacement parts, blocks or trans. Only way to prove is with original paperwork, but who is to say it was not swapped later as there are not any numbers on the VIN pad?
My 1.6¢, adjusted for deflation!
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: trans #'s on warranty trans?? - 07/30/10 01:10 AM

Thanks Scott as that is what I thought.
No way to know for sure without paperwork.
It will be awhile before he has time for me to look at the trans again. It's behind a lot of stuff in his barn.
But I will look at it ASAP and then update this post or pm you.
Thanks Again Scott.
David
now I owe you for 2 things. I will remember.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: trans #'s on warranty trans?? - 07/30/10 09:26 AM

I'll agree with Scott, but there is one more item. An early replacement will most likely have the same part number as the original. A later replacement could have been with a newer part number or a rebuilt unit of unknown origin.

In other words - check the part number
© 2024 Moparts Forums