Moparts

A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft...

Posted By: Anonymous

A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 12:16 AM

I spoke with Bob Karakashian on the phone a couple of weeks ago, and man! What a great Mopar enthusiast to talk to. From my experience over the phone, Bob is a very humble down to earth person to work with.

I called mostly because I’m very interested in his special cam grind. All I knew up to that point was that the Factory-Appearing-Stock-Tire (F.A.S.T) racing class that Bob runs his A12 Super Bee in, turns 12.09 seconds in the quarter @ 114 mph. And he does it with the required factory HP exhaust manifolds, a full exhaust system, and skinny G70-15 redline tires. I thought to myself that undoubtedly, these real world numbers speak for themselves. I mean, these are not engine dyno numbers, or chassis dyno numbers, but honest to goodness real world street/strip performance numbers, and a true testament to Bob’s expertise in big-block Mopar tuning.

The “Mr. Six Pack” Cam-

The conversation I had with Bob about his cam was very interesting and informative. I wanted to know how his cam was developed. First, Bob briefly mentioned that he had worked for Chrysler, which in my opinion, he understated that fact. I’ve since learned that the magnitude of Bob’s work for Chrysler was that his A12 Super Bee was a test mule of sorts for Chrysler engineers in the early 70s. Chrysler tested a number of new at the time Direct Connection Purple Shaft cams in his Super Bee. Bob went on to say that after some time his stock cam started to go flat, which apparently the factory Six-Pack cam has a taper to them, which makes them prone to going flat. At that point he turned to the major cam manufactures and had their engineers’ custom grind him a cam for his street/stock application. After testing cam after cam, none of them worked as well as original cam did when combined with his exhaust manifolds and tight factory torque converter. He then went on to say that he still has a box in his basement that is collecting dust with all of those cams in it. Disillusioned with the aftermarket, Bob thought to himself; I’ll design my own cam. Fast forward to our phone conversation. Bob told me that the factory Six-Pack cam is a great cam and that Chrysler really did their homework with it. Although tight lipped about the exact cam specifications of his cam grind, he did tell me that for the most part, it does not have much deviation from the original Six-Pack grind. He also told me that his grind is ground on a 114 degree Lobe Separation rather than the stock 115. In addition, Bob put allowances into his cam in order to make corrections for the lack of a true 1.5:1 rocker arm ratio of the factory stamped steel rocker arms. He is required to run the stock rocker arms in his racing class. Bob went on to say that his engine has such a glassy smooth idle, that he can rest a cup of coffee on the air cleaner while the engine is running without spilling. Then peoples’ jaws drop when he clicks off nearly 12 seconds flat in the quarter mile. After a while, people stated asking Bob what cam he is running. Bob tells them that its his own design, which is then promptly countered with, can I get one of those?!?! Again, the word is humble. Rather than do what a lot of folks sometimes do in the racing world by keeping their work secretive, Bob is willing to sell a copy of his cam to anyone who is interested.
Bob said that he’s helped folks replace their Mopar 284, and 509 cams with his own grind resulting in more crisp performance in their street/strip applications.

At this point, I have no qualms about it. My next street/strip engine build will have the now famed “Mr. Six-Pack” cam grind installed in it. Stressing over the right cam is now officially over.

Kudos to Bob Karakashian!

Quote from phone conversation: Bob Karakashian- “Most any engine can make power on the dyno, but can it get your car down the track?”

Read more:

http://sixpacksixbbl.homestead.com/halloffame.html
Posted By: blue67440's

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 01:10 AM

Bob is a first class guy, very helpful and polite and to me the term "mopar guy" to the core. Excellent post

blue

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 01:27 AM

Quote:

Bob is a first class guy, very helpful and polite and to me the term "mopar guy" to the core. Excellent post

blue

Thanks Regan,

Farming, Mopars, Football, Trap... You sound like a class guy as well.

Apparently you have an experience with “Mr. Six-Pack”? Anything to add?
Posted By: Classof70Chally

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 02:26 AM

How about some info on where to get one of his cams if they are available?
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 02:42 AM

Bob is one of the best guy's you'd ever want to meet in this hobby! But he races in Pure stock which is a lot tougher then FAST rule and with those #'s he truley is the man!

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 03:11 AM

I have talked to Bob several times - I had a 69 gtx that was an A32 car that was going to get his cam but I sold that project and got into 67 chargers.

I talked to Bob in depth about his cam and the 67 440 hp motors and he really helped me out - my 440 auto car is going to get one of his cam's this summer and I am buying a cam for my 4 spd. car when I do it - I am seriously thinking about doing some pure stock racing with it.

He's just one of those people you don't run across very often and a mopar guy to boot

Thanks for the comments 383.

blue

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 03:14 AM

Quote:

How about some info on where to get one of his cams if they are available?

Call Mr. Six Pack Himself.....
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 03:37 AM

Bob is my Bestest Friend in the Whole Wide World!
His E-mail mr6pk@hotmail.com
He'll hook you up with a cam!
KIDSIXPACK
www.sixpacksuperbee.homestead.com

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 04:51 AM

I just found this two-year old moparts.com thread from a general yahoo search. This was before I even knew moparts.com existed and was a member.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

It's amazing to me that Bob K. of Mr.6pack Racing Engines has been, as it would seem to me, just under the surface of the Mopar world, getting notability primarily by word of mouth and the occasional magazine article. And although I haven’t been into Mopars as long as some, it's still has been about fourteen years for me, and I've never came across Bob K. cams. Of course I probably wasn't looking. All I ever see in the magazines is Comp Cams, Comp Cams, Comp Cams.

Sometimes I wonder if the world of Mopar can be equated to the Internet, the research goes on, and on, and on forever...

BTW, I’m strongly thinking about renting a U-Haul and moving out to Detroit. The people there are too cool!
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 01:02 PM

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Bob truly is a great guy.
While attending one of the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Races with my buddy Tom's '68 Hemi Road Runner, Tom introduced me to Bob K. Tom mentioned to Bob that I was working on a '69 6BBL 4-speed Road Runner that would eventually compete at the Pure Stock Drags. He gave me a few tips, then we left. The next time I saw Bob he said, "hey Dave, how's that Road Runner doing?". I couldn't believe he even remembered my car, much less my name.
My winter project is installing one of his cams that I bought a few months ago. It will be interesting with a 4-speed.
A best of 13.30 at 106MPH with the Mopar cam is a good baseline. We'll see how it does with Bob's cam at the Factory Stock race in Martin Michigan in June.
Dave
Posted By: greenmcode

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 04:03 PM

I had some experience with Bob.. I met Bob at martin 06 at the pure stock/f.a.s.t. race, there where about eight a12s running and mine being the slowest 13.20s in the heat.. I went over and introduced my self and said man whats the secret all these six packs are running real good 12.70s to 20.s.. His reply was what are you running I told him the green a12 and he said that's a nice car I was going to check it out let's go.. This guy stopped what he was doing walked a couple hundred yards to my car asked questions and gave suggestions.. I heard so much about Bob he's a legend and here he is walking with me like he knew me for years.. Well with his tips we got the car running a tenth better that weekend. I proceeded to stay in touch with Bob and started talking about an engine for my car since I was hooked with drag racing now and wanted to go faster.. So Feb 07 an engine went in the works Bob would call weekly to update and just stay in touch. Normally his engines take about six month depending how busy he is but he got mine done in four because he wanted the car to be in martin..
Well I receive my new engine intake to pan we do the swap (no dyno time) run it for twenty minutes
change the oil take it around the block and man I hit it holy sh!!.. The guy knows how to make them run..

Bob is a true asset to this hobby and a good friend..

[image][/image]

Best ET [Email]11.76@116.45[/Email][/Email] 1.75 60FT

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/26/08 04:08 PM

Quick times and fantastic short time. FAST class I presume?
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/27/08 12:29 AM

would his cam also be good for a 383 four barrel?

Does he do cams for other applications?

I'm wondering what cam to put in a stroked 360 with efi six pak that's going in a street driven challenger.

Tav

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/27/08 01:15 AM

Quote:

would his cam also be good for a 383 four barrel?

Does he do cams for other applications?

I'm wondering what cam to put in a stroked 360 with efi six pak that's going in a street driven challenger.

Tav

383 Yes! And I think he has two cams. One for an automatic and one for a manual. The manual being a mechanical cam.

360, No! I think he is strictly a Big Block man.
Posted By: greenmcode

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/27/08 11:50 AM

Quote:

Yes I race f.a.s.t.. The short times are always work in progress I'm usually mid to low 180s and the car runs more consistent 11.90s 12.0s.. It's
a great package Bob built for me.. I drive to cruise nights 2 hours from my house go to the track click of these times.. The only maintenance
is changing the oil and a coat of wax..

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/27/08 10:04 PM

Nice combo indeed. I am in the slow process of building my car for Pure stock. I have one of Bob's cams. I have a replacement short block and a replacement block plus regular 440 blocks. I am not sure which one to build, although I am leaning towards the replacement short block with assembly date but no VIN numbers. I am hoping for mid 12's, but who knows. I am racing a 14" tired car now, the G70's should be a real trip to learn all over again. I have 100's of street races behind me, but none in my A12 since 1974-76.

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/27/08 10:22 PM

I sent an email to the Mr6pk address about his cams but no reply just yet. Does anyone have the specs for the 4 spd cam? Just curious how it compares to my VooDoo that's in there now.
Posted By: sg333e

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/27/08 10:57 PM

Don't ask, he won't tell you. It really went against my nature to go with something I couldn't quantify/compare, but the results and service speak for themselves. I can't wait to get mine fired up.

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/27/08 11:22 PM

Yep. You're right. I just got a reply back (within an hour on a Sunday afternoon no less) . That's fine and I think I will go with it but I'll call him and discuss it first. I just want to be sure that it is going to be as good or hopefully better for my combo than the cam I have now.

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/27/08 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes I race f.a.s.t.. The short times are always work in progress I'm usually mid to low 180s and the car runs more consistent 11.90s 12.0s.. It's
a great package Bob built for me.. I drive to cruise nights 2 hours from my house go to the track click of these times.. The only maintenance
is changing the oil and a coat of wax..

If you can give us a little info about your combo without having to kill us afterward that would be great.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 04:54 PM

Bob is good people. He gave me tons of free advice on my PS built 440-6 and yes, I'm running one of his cams too. Should hit the road/track this spring!

Dave
Posted By: BradH

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 07:17 PM

Quote:

And I think he has two cams. One for an automatic and one for a manual. The manual being a mechanical cam.

That's kind of odd, considering the factory only used one particular hydraulic cam regardless of the trans type.
Posted By: sg333e

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 09:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And I think he has two cams. One for an automatic and one for a manual. The manual being a mechanical cam.

That's kind of odd, considering the factory only used one particular hydraulic cam regardless of the trans type.

Brad is right, that is not correct.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 09:33 PM

Regarding small blocks Bob recommeneded a cam to a friend of mine who had it custom ground?I ended up with it after he sold the car and never installed it All I know is the cam works terrific. I have run a dozen different makes and model cams, this one is by far one the best. Loads of bottom end and goes right to 6K with ease.

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 10:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry if that was misinformation. I was just going by what moparts.com user (AZ-Nick) said. In the old moparts.com post I linked above, AZ-Nick said that he bought the 4-Speed cam from bob and that it is a solid cam. I don't exactly have a Bob K. camshaft catalog to reference that, so I took it at face value.

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 11:03 PM

Quote:

I don't exactly have a Bob K. camshaft catalog to reference...

Neither does Bob, from what I've determined. It's all in his head so the "secret recipe" can't be stolen.

The PSMCDR rules for their Certification process states the cam must be within 1% of factory .050 duration and have the correct factory cam lift per NHRA stock class rules.

Given those rules, any "legal" '68-71 383-440 HP 4/6BBL engine cam should measure...
Intake: 214 @ .050" +/- 1% = 212 / 216
Exhaust: 226 @ .050" +/- 1% = 224 / 228
Max Lift: .455"/.470" (NHRA "blueprinted" lift specs)
LSA: 115

Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 11:21 PM

For factory stock, I think the only thing they will check is that you have acceptable vacuum at correct idle setting. I wonder if they they would do a tear down for class certification unless you are protested??

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 11:24 PM

Quote:

For factory stock, I think the only thing they will check is that you have acceptable vacuum at correct idle setting. I wonder if they they would do a tear down for class certification unless you are protested??

I'd expect that unless you are trying to get the car Certified (it's voluntary), there's something of a "don't ask, don't tell" thing going on re: how "stock" some of those cars' cams are.

However, given the constraints outlined by the rules above, I could still spec out something using modern lobes that could be worth a few ponies over the OEM cam of yours we measured.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 11:32 PM

Mine's definitely coming out! I take it you're not going to try a Mr. Sixpack's?

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 11:36 PM

Quote:

Mine's definitely coming out! I take it you're not going to try a Mr. Sixpack's?

More likely a Mr. Snackpacks!

OK, I'll let this thread get back on topic now...

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 11:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd expect that unless you are trying to get the car Certified (it's voluntary), there's something of a "don't ask, don't tell" thing going on re: how "stock" some of those cars' cams are.

However, given the constraints outlined by the rules above, I could still spec out something using modern lobes that should be worth a few ponies over the OEM cam of yours we measured.

I know it bugs you that Bob won't come up with the specs to his cam, but as far as the rules go:

http://www.geocities.com/psmcdr/rules.html

Lift and duration as well as adequate vacuum is the only thing tested. Several cars that have been Certified under the rules (voluntarily) run Bob's cam.

Is there something modern out there that has factory lift, duration and gets 16" plus vacuum? I don't know. What I DO know is that Bob has run a 12.09 and Jim has run an 11.97 using that cam and that is good enough for me.

Dave

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 11:47 PM

Quote:

I know it bugs you that Bob won't come up with the specs to his cam...

No, it really doesn't... because I know exactly what lobes he uses and could call up the same cam grinder right now and have them send me exactly the same thing as a custom grind for myself.

My point is - without going into any of the actual specs - his cam does not pass the Certification process as described above. If there are cars that run his cam that have passed it, then they weren't checking the cams very closely during the inspection.

BTW, don't anybody bother to PM me asking for the specs of Bob's cam. It's obvious it works well as proven by the number of folks who run it with extremely good results. If you want one, buy one from him... he's the one who figured it out.

I'm equally impressed by how smoothly his car idles with it... sounds like Gradma's 318 w/ "hot rod" mufflers!

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/28/08 11:58 PM

Quote:

Is there something modern out there that has factory lift, duration and gets 16" plus vacuum?

From a major cam company's Master Lobe catalog:
272 @ .004" / 216 @ .050" / 127 @ .200" / .454" (1.5)
286 @ .004" / 226 @ .050" / 134 @ .200" / .471" (1.5)

Compared to John D's OEM A12 cam (IIRC):
292 @ .004" / 214 @ .050" / 124 @ .200" / .449" (1.5)
310 @ .004" / 226 @ .050" / 133 @ .200" / .459" (1.5)
Posted By: AZ-Nick

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/29/08 01:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry if that was misinformation. I was just going by what moparts.com user (AZ-Nick) said. In the old moparts.com post I linked above, AZ-Nick said that he bought the 4-Speed cam from bob and that it is a solid cam. I don't exactly have a Bob K. camshaft catalog to reference that, so I took it at face value.

And that was a Good Face you got it from.....
Yes I did buy a 4sp Six Pack mechanical lifter cam from Bob and here is a Picture of the box that the cam is still in, I never opened it because I changed my plans and no one wanted to buy it when I tried to sell it.

You were right I did say it and here is the pic of the box......

Attached picture 4146636-MVC-003Fsmudge.JPG

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/30/08 06:14 PM

Quote:

... Yes I did buy a 4sp Six Pack mechanical lifter cam from Bob and here is a Picture of the box that the cam is still in, I never opened it because I changed my plans and no one wanted to buy it when I tried to sell it.

Yes, I recall that you advertised that particular cam that Bob K. spec'd out for you. Did he say it was effectively a solid equivalent of his hydraulic cam, i.e. intended for the same application? Or was there something different about how he expected it would used?
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/30/08 06:50 PM

I know this is supposed to be about the Mr Six Pack cam, but if I were to call Bob to pretty much try to get a custom grind, do you think hed come up with something? Or does he just stick with the cams hes been selling or...?
Posted By: 6pak2go

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/30/08 08:06 PM

I, too, can echo those comments about Bob K. Very personable to speak with on the phone and full of great ideas for a stock appearing and sounding big block.

I have one of his cams for my project and can't wait to see how it performs. I pick the engine up this Friday. :-)

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/31/08 02:19 PM

I have a hydraulic cam from Bob that I purchased for my Six Pack Bee. Before I got around to installing it, I purchased another for my 440-6 Superbird, which I did install. I am now getting ready to get back onto the Six Pack Bee and Bob told me that the cam that I had would take more converter, which would make it harder to 60' I purchased another cam, which is what he is running now. I would think that the cam I didn't use would be good for a 4 spd or for street use with a slightly higher stall converter than stock? I have the spec. sheet for that cam. The other cams are classified.
Posted By: AZ-Nick

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/31/08 02:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... Yes I did buy a 4sp Six Pack mechanical lifter cam from Bob and here is a Picture of the box that the cam is still in, I never opened it because I changed my plans and no one wanted to buy it when I tried to sell it.

Yes, I recall that you advertised that particular cam that Bob K. spec'd out for you. Did he say it was effectively a solid equivalent of his hydraulic cam, i.e. intended for the same application? Or was there something different about how he expected it would used?

I told him I wanted one of his cams ground for a 4sp solid lifter set up, engine is a 71 Six pack and he said that I would be amazed at the power this was going to have. He also said that he grinds Hemi cams too.....

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 01/31/08 02:31 PM

I have a 69 RR 4 spd car. I don't have a 383, but I do have a Hemi and some 440's. If I go with a 440, I will use the extra cam myself. If I go with the Hemi, I will try to sell it. I have to finish the Bird,the Bee, and the Dart, before I think about working on the RR.
Posted By: MowP4rsn

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 02/03/08 05:34 AM

Thanks for this thread.

I sent Bob an email yesterday mentioning I read about him in this post, and this morning he replied, provided several phone #'s to get a hold of him to talk about using his automatic cam in my 300. Wow!

Update: 2/4/08 I called Bob today, what a great guy! Very helpful, full of all kinds of information and willing to help with cam setup, should I need it.

I think his price of $235 (cam only, but includes shipping)for one of HIS cams with Chrysler lobes instead of Chevy lobes is $$ WELL SPENT! I'll be sending a check out his way.

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 02/29/08 11:22 PM

Hubba-hubba!! It's HERE!!!! WOOOOOOOHOOO!!

Attached picture 4235539-Chaz-parts-440source-head-clock-MrSixpack-cam006.jpg

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 02/29/08 11:23 PM

Just like having Christmas again

Attached picture 4235545-Chaz-parts-440source-head-clock-MrSixpack-cam017.jpg

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 02/29/08 11:24 PM

Attached picture 4235547-Chaz-parts-440source-head-clock-MrSixpack-cam018.jpg

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 02/29/08 11:25 PM

No CHEBBIE lobes!

Attached picture 4235548-Chaz-parts-440source-head-clock-MrSixpack-cam019.jpg

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 02/29/08 11:26 PM

I can't wait to hear this making my 440 rumble and SING

Attached picture 4235553-Chaz-parts-440source-head-clock-MrSixpack-cam020.jpg

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 02/29/08 11:28 PM

Tech tips for this cam, just thought I'd share

Attached picture 4235558-Chaz-parts-440source-head-clock-MrSixpack-cam009.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 02/29/08 11:31 PM

Quote:

Tech tips for this cam, just thought I'd share

the only thing i disagree wit hthere is shimming the rocker shaft for proper preload , thats going to affect rocker to valve tip geometry if you get too carried away

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/01/08 12:16 AM

John, I agree. I'd change the pushrod length first, should it come to it.

Then again, Bob worked with Tom Hoover

Bob did tell me specifically when the valvetrain is assembled, and the lifter is on the base circle of the lobe, make sure the plunger in the lifter is not touching the retainer in the lifter body, but is just under it.

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/01/08 01:33 AM

Quote:

John, I agree. I'd change the pushrod length first, should it come to it.

Then again, Bob worked with Tom Hoover

Bob did tell me specifically when the valvetrain is assembled, and the lifter is on the base circle of the lobe, make sure the plunger in the lifter is not touching the retainer in the lifter body, but is just under it.

you'll need to assemble it and check , if you need no more than .010 worth of shim then go for it , but check the rocker contact sweep , if its ok , run it , otherwise do it right ...

at least thats what i would be doing .

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/01/08 04:07 AM

I have to agree with everything you said. When it's time to have the engine re-done and install the 440source heads, I'll find out then if anything needs any kind of shimming or whatnot.

Still, I'm pretty about gettign the cam.
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/01/08 04:11 PM

How is this cam in a 6pack stroker combo? 4 spd, 4.10
not big enough?

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/01/08 05:07 PM

Send him an email, he'll answer it. He replied then next day to my email.

mr6pk@hotmail.com

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/01/08 09:29 PM

Quote:

How is this cam in a 6pack stroker combo? 4 spd, 4.10
not big enough?

not even close , its a STOCK LIFT replacement cam that will pass the PSMCDR certification process .
Posted By: oem6pak

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/03/08 07:23 AM

ive run 2 of his cams in my 340's,worked well

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/19/08 05:36 PM

Wow! Nearly two months later and the thread is still going strong! I had no idea!

Ken, thanks for the update on the cam. I haven’t bought the cam yet, so it’s cool to actually see pictures of what you get for your hard earned dough. Keep us posted on how it works out for you. BTW, What cams have you run before this?

Thanks again!

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/20/08 03:35 AM

Uh, the original 350hp cam...the engine has never been apart, and even now it starts up without a hint of smoke.

I will definitely let everyone know about how this works , once the engine is gone through and installed back in the car.

I just sent Demonsizzler $$ for a TQ and his fuel line set-up he's offering!! The fuel lines come with a fuel log/filter AND pressure gauge!

Attached picture 4287855-tqfuel063.jpg

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/20/08 03:49 AM

Ken,don't expect to hear much of a "rumble" with that 6-pack cam! With a 114 LSA,it should idle nice and smooth. I'm sure it'll make more power than the stocker though,even with the same lift as the stock cam! Good Luck with it!

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 03/20/08 10:04 PM

That's what I expect, perfect smooth engine at Idle, with maybe a bit of grunt when I get into it/more punch off line if I need it.

Folks will probably see my car and think it's a huge slug of a car, but I will know the real story.

Hmmm, maybe I should plan on doing the Silver State Classic once?
Posted By: AlexP

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/23/08 02:49 PM

Can someome post up Bob's phone number or PM it to me ? I want to place an order today.

-Thanks

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/23/08 03:39 PM

You have a PM.

Dave

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/23/08 04:16 PM

Quote:

You have a PM.

Dave

Thanks, I look forward to giving him my business.

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/23/08 06:26 PM

Great guy, you won't be disappointed!

Dave
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/24/08 02:17 AM

I've been running one of his 6pk cams in a 383 for about a year and a half, I couldn't be happier! Still learning and still trying different things with it. The plan was to run the car at Fontana this weekend, but Mother Nature is showing no signs of cooperation

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/24/08 02:52 AM

Quote:

I've been running one of his 6pk cams in a 383 for about a year and a half, I couldn't be happier! Still learning and still trying different things with it. The plan was to run the car at Fontana this weekend, but Mother Nature is showing no signs of cooperation

What cam did you have in it before ?

I'm coming from a .484....it can only get better.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/24/08 03:11 AM

Had that exact cam in it, a complete toad!

I only have 9.6:1 compression, 3.23's and manifolds. Bob K's cam was a HUGE improvement, I have played with timing, and carburetion(went from a 650 to 800avs) The cam loves timing, and the 800 woke it up a bit more (butt dyno.) I was planning to run 3.91's on 28" tall tires this weekend, but... I believe the engine will wake up even more with the gear swap, BTW I installed it at 114* Bob offers a different guide with 383's
Posted By: drmopar

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/24/08 02:47 PM

Bob K. is the shiznitT I cant wait to try the engine he is building for my fathers road runner. It will be interesting!

Keep it up Bob! And thanks for everything you have done for me, my brother and my father. My dad will have the intake to you today I think!

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/25/08 06:58 AM

Well, my friends and family scraped up enough money for my birthday for my to buy the Bob K cam I've been drooling over, hooray!! Bob will be seeing a check from me real soon, can't wait!

Hey R70RUNNER, right on you are running the cam in your 383. I will be doing the same in my 69 Road Runner. My engine will retain the HP Exhaust manifolds but will step up to a stock appearing Edelbrock DP4B intake with a Holley 3310-1 (780cfm). The stall converter will be in the same range as the stock Road Runner converter. My only hang up at this point is what gearing will this combo be most comfortable with? The tires are going to be 26.5" tall. I'd like the car to do fairly well on the highway, but want it quick from stop like to stop light. I also know that 383s like to rev, so I'm thinking lower 3.91s will get the baby big block into the range it will love best. Of course I'll voice my ides with Bob on this, but thought I'd bounce it off you guys as well. I think that Bob likes the lower gears as he runs the stock 4.10s that came in His car. We'll see?

BTW, that's very cool Bob has specs for 383s as well.
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/25/08 11:39 AM

Can someone explain the stock 1970 440-6 cam specs, its P/N, if its hyrdralic or solid lifters,what is the 509 Purple cam, and the difference b/t them? Thanks.
Posted By: Ray440

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/25/08 06:21 PM

Quote:

Can someone explain the stock 1970 440-6 cam specs, its P/N, if its hyrdralic or solid lifters,what is the 509 Purple cam, and the difference b/t them? Thanks.

Check this website out has all the specs for the stock and purple shaft cams. Stock 1970 cam is hydraulic lifters.
http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mpcam-tech-c.htm
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 05/25/08 07:12 PM

Thank you Raymond! Question answered. Nice Link.
Posted By: PJSIXPACK

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 11/16/12 01:23 AM

Has there been any changes to the Mr. Six Pack cam that anyone knows of? I am getting ready to start on my engine for my A12 Bee.

Attached picture 7463729-052.JPG
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 11/16/12 05:40 AM

Quote:

Has there been any changes to the Mr. Six Pack cam that anyone knows of? I am getting ready to start on my engine for my A12 Bee.

From my phone conversations with Bob, It's my understanding that there were a few tweaks in the beginning (1990s) but what you get today is the unchanged standard everyone buys and uses including Bob.

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 11/16/12 06:14 PM

Here's a short video (sorry about the Iphone quality!) that gives you an idea of idle, sound and bit about performance. Motor is a PSMCDR legal 440-6 with stock crank, rods, heads, manifolds, etc. etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofma0go-jJk&feature=g-upl

Dave
Posted By: rftroy

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 11/16/12 10:19 PM

There is a link on page one of this post to an earlier Six Pack cam post with this quote from Paul "Beeware" Petcou:

Quote:

The Mr Six Pack Cam is the closest I've found to the orignal low taper six pack cam that Mopar made for us in 69, its not just lift and duration, there was a diffrent lobe used on this cam, all of the current blueprint cams that I've checked are not ground on this lobe even the one marketed by Mopar and yes I have track tested, it does rev a little higher and throttle a little faster and the midrange is stronger than the over the counter generic blueprints that I've used.

Is Beeware saying here that the factory Six Pack cam had a different profile than the standard HP big block cam? The DC manuals list it as having the same specs, just a lesser taper on the lobes, and larger radius lifters. Or, is he referring to the Mr. Six Pack cam as being different; it's not clear from context.

The reason I ask is that I have a NOS Six Pack cam and lifter set that I bought back in '75 when I bought my Roadrunner. I never installed it. It is a '71 part number cam.

So, is there a difference such that I should be thinking of installing the NOS cam in my engine (which is currently in stock form with TRW six pack replacement pistons, and a one bolt standard HP cam), or should I save the NOS as a curio and buy a Mr. Six Pack cam?

Robert
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 11/17/12 09:35 PM

i'm surprised that nobody has done any track comparisons, mr. six-pak vs stock, and posted times. curious minds wonder, .
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 11/18/12 05:19 AM

Quote:

i'm surprised that nobody has done any track comparisons, mr. six-pak vs stock, and posted times. curious minds wonder, .

Okay, not exactly the comparison you're looking for but the video in the link below demonstrates the true real world capability of the custom proprietary "fast ramp" hydraulic by Bob K.

Also keep in mind that the A-12 seen in the video is running un-ported 906 heads with stock valve sizes as per Pure Stock rules.

Video here: http://youtu.be/OFaPlDt2jt4
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: A12 “Mr. Six-Pack” Camshaft... - 11/18/12 02:57 PM

nice video but not the before and after i was looking for. i've played with engle cams a little so i have some idea of what they are. i just have some doubts about the hype, but could be wrong.
© 2024 Moparts Forums