Moparts

need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming

Posted By: jake4cars

need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/07/10 01:17 PM

Hi Everyone,

Who does good work on plastic dash bezels, we are looking for someone to do a 67 Barracuda bezel.

Thank You!
Joey
Posted By: TrueTripleX

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/07/10 03:24 PM

I like Glenn at GCAR. Quality and fair price.

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/07/10 07:28 PM

Do you have an address for them, I tried to google them with no luck.
Thanks,
Joey
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/07/10 07:34 PM

Quote:

Do you have an address for them, I tried to google them with no luck.
Thanks,
Joey

Just googled GCAR:

http://www.gcartrim.com/GCAR.htm
Posted By: minivan

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/07/10 08:24 PM

Quote:

Very nice work....

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/07/10 08:40 PM

Hey, I was finally able to get it to work, crazy computer I have. At any rate, we will give them the bezel. Thanks to Everyone.

Joey
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/08/10 01:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Very nice work....

Without question, Glenn is the man for doing vacuum metalizing. Glenn does all the plating on our deck lid medallions and he also did the "Challenger" script for our pink T/A that will be in the "T" building at Carlisle this year.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/08/10 04:55 AM

I can tell you who not to use is auto instruments. I gave them my dash stuff for my 71 roadrunner and they sent the a/c strip back to me because they couldn't get the vents or the emblem out. well I get it back and with having absolutly no experiance at this stuff, got it all apart in about an hour. so now im out $40 for shipping both ways and time. you sure would think a company that does this for a living would be able to do this I have had luck before with CV Plating by the way...
Posted By: Hemiruss

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/09/10 02:21 AM

I agree Auto Instru.did my Bee stuff and it's gone back and forth 3 times....AND I had to pay to ship it the 2nd time,Now here's the kicker..I just get an email wanting me to call them......THEY lost my #,but not my credit card info..lol lol lol.I guess I was just another #.and I paid for not so good work.....BEE AWARE..
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/09/10 05:03 AM

Russ, were you unhappy about the quality of the resto? They still have my dash and I think they are just getting started on it.... thanks
-kevin

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/09/10 10:59 AM

I have used a couple different companies over the years with mixed results that's why I posted here to get some feedback. GCAR is definitely getting the Barracuda bezel. The dash in my 65 was refurbished at Auto Instruments, it is OK but I know there are better.

The biggest concern I have with plastic rechroming is they always seem to come back with runs, I sent the bezel from my 67 GTX back and forth to the company that did it four times before we somewhat agreed that was as good as it would get.

Thanks to all that chimed in.

Joey

Attached picture 6076508-silver-20.JPG
Posted By: ademon

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/09/10 01:29 PM

How about just getting the repop for about $450, i hear they are very nice, and sell yours for $200 or so, just an idea
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/09/10 01:32 PM

If you don't have a good original the reproductions are nice, I've installed a few in recent months, however if you have a good original core and want the best fit and originallity details the factory bezels are the ticket.
Posted By: ademon

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/09/10 01:38 PM

heres a link to a new one, my 71 was cut for a stereo many moons ago, so i'm going the repop route, i would have way to much to repair and chrome it http://www.beaparts.com/images/item_images/316-69_s.jpg
Posted By: minivan

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/09/10 06:24 PM

Most of the companies that do the gauge and instrument resto send out the part to be rechromed.. They don't do the rechrome work..

Re: need a recommendation for plastic dash rechroming - 07/09/10 07:01 PM

Quote:

How about just getting the repop for about $450, i hear they are very nice, and sell yours for $200 or so, just an idea

Ours has never been altered for stereos etc, so it makes sense for us to refinish it. Thank You for the suggestion though, I wasn't aware the aftermarket was re popping them.

Joey
© 2024 Moparts Forums