Moparts

1967 Coronet R/T questions

Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

1967 Coronet R/T questions - 05/30/10 12:58 AM

I picked up a car today I have been looking at for a long time.It is missing the original engine and transmission,and needs stripped down and restored.I have not done a restoration in many years,as I got into racing more than anything,so I will be hounding you guys for advice.
My first question is,without the correct drivetrain,what do you guys look for?How far back would you go for a casting date on a block and transmission housing to get a close match to what came in the car?
Thanks in advance,
Keith
Posted By: mr_belvedere

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 05/30/10 01:29 AM

For the most part, ignore the casting date. Go by the assembly date on the identification pad next to the dist. hole. Find a block with an assembly date relatively close to the scheduled build date for the car (and the correct model year), then check the casting date to confirm that it was cast before the assembly date (avoiding a shoddy restamp)

Example to make the assembly date over casting date a priority-

My 67 GTX came with what is believed to be the original block. SPD of the car was 9-13-66. assembly date on the cyl. block is 9-6. casting date on the block is 4-25-66.
Block is correct for the car even though it was cast almost 5 months before the car was assembled. Kind of an extreme case, but it does happen.

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 05/30/10 01:41 AM

Thanks! Exactly the kind of information I am looking for.I know it won't be a numbers matching car,but I would like to keep it as close as possible.
Posted By: John426

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 05/30/10 01:49 AM

Oh Boy (Opening a big can of worms) There are no numbers on a 67 engine - hence no such thing as numbers matching.

There is the concept of the original engine (which you do not have) but other than telling the truth, there would be no way to tell if you have a correctly dated 67 drivetrain.

68 Cars got the SO numbers stamped on them (mostly) and 69 cars started with the last 6 digits of the VIN.

John P.

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 05/30/10 01:57 AM

John426,
Thanks,I am restoring the car for personal use.Not to sell for a profit,or scam anyone.I just want to make it appear as original as possible.Heck,I may even do a "day2" type of deal,not real sure yet.
Posted By: Michael

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/05/10 10:55 PM

You will want a C 440 block
Posted By: mopar4ya

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/05/10 11:22 PM

Quote:

Oh Boy (Opening a big can of worms) There are no numbers on a 67 engine - hence no such thing as numbers matching.

There is the concept of the original engine (which you do not have) but other than telling the truth, there would be no way to tell if you have a correctly dated 67 drivetrain.

68 Cars got the SO numbers stamped on them (mostly) and 69 cars started with the last 6 digits of the VIN.

John P.

John, most if not all 68 big blocks had the VIN number stamped into them, just not where the 69 and later engines do.

Dan

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 05:49 PM

Hey Dan,

I'll bet you a can of NOS tire air that the 68 blocks have the SO number stamped on them over the top of the bellhousing flange, but very few (if any) have the VIN stamped on them!!

It is interesting problem, because on the 66-68 cars the fender tags do not have the VIN, so the only (2) documents that tie the entire car together are the Certicard and the build sheet. Those are the only places where both numbers appear!!

Extra points for those who can tell where the certicard was located on a 68 B-body (I'll give you whiff of the NOS air!! - giggle).

John P.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 05:52 PM

Quote:

Extra points for those who can tell where the certicard was located on a 68 B-body (I'll give you whiff of the NOS air!! - giggle).

Inside the owners manual?

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 06:55 PM

DING DING DING

We have a winnah!!

68 Certicards are in a pouch inside the back cover of the owners manual in the glovebox. Most are very long gone!!

Stop by the booth at Carlisle for you NOS air!!
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 07:12 PM

Quote:

I'll bet you a can of NOS tire air that the 68 blocks have the SO number stamped on them over the top of the bellhousing flange, but very few (if any) have the VIN stamped on them!!

I have never seen an SO stamped on a 68 block. Most all had the full VIN stamped on the top of the bell area and also on the trans at the same spot.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 07:14 PM

Quote:

DING DING DING

We have a winnah!!

68 Certicards are in a pouch inside the back cover of the owners manual in the glovebox. Most are very long gone!!

Stop by the booth at Carlisle for you NOS air!!

Thanks for the offer John. I'd love to drive my 73 Challenger to Carlisle, but at 9 mpg from St. Louis, I'd have to re-fi my house to pay the fuel bill...

I could use some NOS 1973 air for the Challenger though. Can you "Air mail" it to me?...
Posted By: generallee6901

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 07:23 PM

I parted out a 68 charger years ago that had the so number on both the engine and trans at the top of the bellhousing area.

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 09:18 PM

Its interesting and you (of course!) never say never with Ma Mopar, but I have never personally seen a VIN stamped in that location.

I owned a 68 Roadrunner, SO number stamped on bellhouse flange, have an original 68 RR in the shop now for a Body-in-white that had the original engine (not trans) and it has the SO number stamped on bellhouse flange, a friend of mine on Long Island has a 68 Coronet R/T that I went with him to document/validate in wisconsin before he bought it and ..... you guessed it, SO number stamped on the bellhouse flange.

So, lets here from 68 owners with original engines - what do you guys have stamped VIN or SO Number?

NOS Air for everyone (chuckle)
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 10:10 PM

Quote:

Its interesting and you (of course!) never say never with Ma Mopar, but I have never personally seen a VIN stamped in that location.

Here are some.....unless they put the plant and model year in the SO....

Attached picture 6026955-68_VINS-600.jpg

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 10:15 PM

Attached picture 6026966-68_VIN_engine_tranny_600.jpg

Re: 1967 Coronet R/T questions - 06/08/10 10:38 PM

Quote:

It is interesting problem, because on the 66-68 cars the fender tags do not have the VIN, so the only (2) documents that tie the entire car together are the Certicard and the build sheet. Those are the only places where both numbers appear!!

How about the window sticker? Are both on there?
© 2024 Moparts Forums