Moparts

****argent silver paint question***

Posted By: converted

****argent silver paint question*** - 05/24/10 10:20 PM

i remember a few years back some members on here talking about a spray paint that was the same or very close to the argent grill paint. i don't remember the brand or the specifics, but does anyone know what it is and if its still available ? i need to paint a grill but the texture on it is great so i don't really want or need to spend the money on totally autos grill paint , which i have used and think is great. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: burdar

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/24/10 10:22 PM

Krylon "Fusion" paint. There are quite a few colors to choose from and the texture is supposed to be fairly good.

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/24/10 11:21 PM

yeah i have some of that, but i am talking about an older color that was available and is very close to the original argent but its not textured.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/24/10 11:24 PM

Totally auto has the argents and most other Mopar colors

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/25/10 12:06 AM

yes ,if you read my original post i know that. that isnt what i was asking about or looking for.
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/25/10 03:54 AM

Which one of these should I use on my 70 Cuda Grill??
#5371493 - Thu Jul 23 2009 07:54 PM Attachment (165 downloads)
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/25/10 03:56 AM

OK, that didn't work..... How do I copy a previous post?
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/25/10 01:22 PM

FWIW (Doesn't answear the question though)

MIXING LIGHT ARGENT TEXTURED FINISH
http://www.mopar1.us/argent.html

Maybe the Mopar Performance Argent Wheel Paint which is
Polyurethane formulated Argent Silver paint that gives that factory look to wheels, grilles and light bezels or whatever Argent paint was used.
P/N P4529876.

Posted By: burdar

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/25/10 02:37 PM

I forwarded that formula to my painter awhile back. He checked with his paint supplier and found out that some of those components are no longer available.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/27/10 01:46 AM

Quote:

Which one of these should I use on my 70 Cuda Grill??
#5371493 - Thu Jul 23 2009 07:54 PM Attachment (165 downloads)

Light Argent - Totally Auto's is dead on!
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/27/10 01:57 AM

Quote:

I respectfully dissagree
Posted By: MLR426

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/27/10 02:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I respectfully dissagree

I respectfully 2nd it.

logan426
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/27/10 07:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I respectfully dissagree

I respectfully 2nd it.

logan426

I respectfully 3rd it!
Ray
Posted By: superwrench

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/27/10 08:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I respectfully dissagree

I respectfully 2nd it.

logan426

I respectfully 3rd it!
Ray

Too light in colour. A mixture of their darker Argent and the Light Argent would be closer.

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/28/10 03:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I respectfully dissagree

I respectfully 2nd it.

logan426

I respectfully 3rd it!
Ray

Too light in colour. A mixture of their darker Argent and the Light Argent would be closer.

We will have to agree to disagree then. Compared to survivor cars/original pieces, I think it is dead on. I still have some NOS from Alltrim back in the day, and that is an exact match to what Totally Auto sells out of the can. Most grilles, shakers, etc. that I see are to dark.................

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/28/10 12:34 PM

I also have some of Alltrims old NOS blend. Here is a bubble I painted with it. I painted another bubble the same day with TA's paint, mixing and application method can vary the NOS paint formulas color somewhat, in my case TA's argent is pretty much the same every time out of the can and too light, in fact, most bubbles I see on cars at shows are too light. Original "Light" argent was darker than most people are aware of..

The Alltrim paint was darker than TA's paint by a fair amount, if anything I'd say it's almost too light the way it came out for me when prepared per the instructions but that could have been due to my mixing methods. Another variable is the flake, Alltrims flake was noticably larger and truer to my original paint sample part.

Attached picture 6007284-BubbleDriversSunFrontD.jpg
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/28/10 12:58 PM

Quote:

I also have some of Alltrims old NOS blend. Here is a bubble I painted with it. I painted another bubble the same day with TA's paint, mixing and application method can vary the NOS paint formulas color somewhat, in my case TA's argent is pretty much the same every time out of the can and too light, in fact, most bubbles I see on cars at shows are too light. Original "Light" argent was darker than most people are aware of..

The Alltrim paint was darker than TA's paint by a fair amount, if anything I'd say it's almost too light the way it came out for me when prepared per the instructions but that could have been due to my mixing methods. Another variable is the flake, Alltrims flake was noticably larger and truer to my original paint sample part.

Scott, we doing the light/dark argent bubble debate thing again?

Argent in a can is absolutely nothing like what an original part was when new. The TA gingle can texture argent paint is OK, however, it can never be compared to original paint no matter what shade it is.

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/28/10 01:12 PM

Quote:

Scott:

That picture looks right on. Lighting has everything to do with how the metal flake looks! My point on the TA product was that it is an easy and economical answer to those who don't have the abililty to mix/spray themselves! Now, it's time to get mine out and cover up the 80's desert themes.....Enjoy the holiday weekend.......

Attached picture 6007312-DSCN2463.JPG

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/28/10 01:25 PM

Mike, just shut up and go make us some more super nice hard to find parts will ya?

Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/28/10 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Scott:

That picture looks right on. Lighting has everything to do with how the metal flake looks! My point on the TA product was that it is an easy and economical answer to those who don't have the abililty to mix/spray themselves! Now, it's time to get mine out and cover up the 80's desert themes.....Enjoy the holiday weekend.......

There's no question it's a great product for the average guy doing is own work in his garage, but, to compare it to real argent?

Re: ****argent silver paint question*** - 05/28/10 01:30 PM

For the record, there was enough variability in the original formulation to allow for a certain degree of variation when matching it with a modern blend, some modern blends are obviously allot closer than others (Alltrim, BEA, Badelson, etc.). I haven't seen ANYTHING from any vendor that comes from a rattle can that get's close to my original samples (used and NOS). At any rate It's a highly subjective topic which is why these debates may rage on forever.

Due to the changes in available flakes and other paint componants I doubt there are really ANY modern formulas that are "perfect" due to the differences in available materials.

© 2024 Moparts Forums