Moparts

Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars

Posted By: triggy74

Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/14/10 01:52 AM

I'm looking into getting the body restored on my Charger, and am going back & forth between a few shops. The first, being the most expensive, Muscle Car Restorations, then Hodge Restorations, and lastly, Russel Jacobs in N.Y.
I'm looking for a high quality body restoration where I don't have to worry about corners being cut, and the work holding out for years to come.
I have heard & seen good things about all of them, but just looking for first hand experience, good or bad.
Posted By: MoparABE

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/14/10 02:00 AM

I have heard they all do nice work. You might also consider Mike Mancini's shop -American Muscle Car Restorations in rhode island.Its a very large professional resto shop. They do phenominal work. When I was there to visit, they showed me some of the metal fabrication work they were doing on a Charger. It was undetectable, they have a factory spot weld machine. It was pretty impressive. He also owns Instrument Specialties. I have used him a bunch and recommend them highly. the tel number is 508-932-1349 and email is vintageignition@yahoo.com tell them John from Maine sent you.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/14/10 02:38 AM

Le Hodge, does first rate work. he's done resto work, on 100 point cars, historic race cars, and historic drag cars.his site has loads of pics, and he'll give you a list of references to check with. if i cant do it, i give it to Le.
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/14/10 03:54 AM

If you live in Ontario, why the heck would you want your car south of the border for restoration work?
There's a lot of good shops in Ontario that do quality work
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/14/10 03:24 PM

I too would highly recommend RJ Cars or Mike Mancini! I know both of these guys pretty well, and both do top rate work at a better price point & more personalized service than Musclecar Restorations. There's no reason to travel any further than those two shops-not even to my shop in Indiana!
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/14/10 07:41 PM

Alan Gallant (Ontario) & Russell Jacobs (New York) You can't go wrong with either one.
Posted By: Captain Flapjack

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/15/10 02:05 AM

Stay away from musclecar restoration

way too expensive + way too much ego

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/15/10 03:54 AM

Quote:

Alan Gallant (Ontario) & Russell Jacobs (New York) You can't go wrong with either one.

I was thinking more along the lines of Mauro Brocca then myself....but thanks for the plug!

I know a couple of HIGH END quality painters that do a lot of top caliber show cars, but nobody I do cars for wants to spend $25K on paint
Posted By: ryangtogtx

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/16/10 12:36 AM

Quote:

I will agree, speaking from first hand knowledge. Not even close to accurate restorations. Very nice paint, but that is where it ends. They don't even paint the fender bolts on their cars because John Balow (the owner) doesn't want them painted. The cost is over the top rediculous. We were quoted one price at the start and if we would have had them finish the car, it would have been more than double of what their initial quote was. Archie Duiker from Ontario had his Hemi RR done there and he said it cost him more than double of what they told him it was going to cost too.

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/16/10 03:37 AM

Thanks alot for the input guys. Much appreciated, this has made my decision much easier.
Anyone else out there have anything else to add??
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/16/10 01:25 PM

Quote:

LOL, there is alot to be said for this

If you got the money honey, they dang sure have the time.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/16/10 02:22 PM

I personally think you have a few choices within driving distance without bringing it to the US

Alan Gallant
or Mauro Broco ( sp? )

I think both could do it justice
Posted By: DCI

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/16/10 05:57 PM

I have personally seen two cars that Hodge did...both were top notch. One was A-body big block convert and the other a A-body big block clone.

Both came in under $40K for everything.

You will not be disappointed.

Tom

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/17/10 01:13 AM

Quote:

I personally think you have a few choices within driving distance without bringing it to the US

Alan Gallant
or Mauro Broco ( sp? )

I think both could do it justice

Ok, so I have to ask guys,
Who is Mauro Brocca?
I have never heard of him..
Posted By: cloneguy

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/17/10 02:21 AM

If you want it done south of the border, give us a shot.

You'll get show quality paint, a fixed price up front, it will get done in a reasonable amount of time AND it will be documented right here on Moparts!

We have a satisfied customer right in Toronto who we'll be happy to put you in contact with.

Did I mention that we give you a LIFETIME WARRANTY on body and paint? Do the other guys do that?

Search my ID, Cloneguy, on here to see our work.
Posted By: R6T8net

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/17/10 04:37 PM

Highly recommend Creations by Gemza in Denver, NC; they laid the paint on my Duster (now in Mopar Muscle) and have a georgous 71 Gunmetal Cuda in SME judging at Carlisle this year as well as other published cars. Not the cheapest or quickest but they are Mopar guys and know their stuff. PM me if you want info.

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/17/10 09:50 PM

Quote:

Who is Mauro Brocca?

Mauro works with his partner Jeff Cabbot (sp?)
Together they restore some of the best Mopars in the world.
I believe they are one of the only shops in Ontario to win OE Gold at the Nats.

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/18/10 02:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Who is Mauro Brocca?

I remember their name, but not the car you speak of??
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/18/10 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who is Mauro Brocca?

I remember their name, but not the car you speak of??

I think it was the green 1970 cuda 440

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/18/10 09:40 AM

Yes, followed by an OE Silver 71 Hemi Challenger
Posted By: moparo

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars *DELETED* - 05/18/10 03:59 PM

Post deleted by moparo

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars *DELETED* - 05/18/10 04:02 PM

Post deleted by moparo

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/18/10 09:38 PM

AH YES! Stunning cars you did!! I'm getting too old to remember names with cars I suppose.
I agree the thoughts on your Red car, it was outstanding & is Gold-worthy for sure.

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars *DELETED* - 05/18/10 09:55 PM

Post deleted by moparo

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/19/10 02:53 AM

Can't wait to see your latest, I know it will be stunning!
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/19/10 07:02 PM

Quote:

Hi Guys

The first car 1970 440 4spd 4:10 dana Gold

Paul, I remember looking at this car with you and complimenting just how nicely done it was. This was a very, very nice car. PS Troy's Cuda would make a nice book end with this car.

logan426
Posted By: NYAL23

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/19/10 09:01 PM

I have to go with RJ CARS. He is currently doing a full restoration on my 69 hemi super bee. If you go to his web site go to photos and click on 69 hemi super bee. You can see the meticulous work he has done. He is not cheap but remember you get what you pay for. Sometimes a bargain is not always such a bargain.

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/19/10 10:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Guys

Paul, I remember looking at this car with you and complimenting just how nicely done it was. This was a very, very nice car. PS Troy's Cuda would make a nice book end with this car.

Yes, Troys ugly Green Cuda would indeed make a nice match to this one

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/20/10 12:18 AM

Actually Dave, Mauro never mentioned in his above post the suppliers name of the glass as any gentlemen would.

This happened a couple of years ago and I'm sure most have forgotten the whole issue, if they even knew about it in the first place.

Now thanks to your reply, we can dig up all the old burried bones and argue about it all over again.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/20/10 12:39 AM

Quote:

Actually Dave, Mauro never mentioned in his above post the suppliers name of the glass as any gentlemen would.

No Alan, a "gentleman" takes responsibility for his actions and tells the truth. It doesn't take a genius to realize the typical Cat and Mouse "whose glass was it?" guessing game was sure to follow! I don't care if it was 10,000 years ago the comment was directed at my product and is a blatant lie. I called Keith after the show to check out the allegations/excuse concerning our so called poor quality glass. He told me that the glass WAS NOT a factor (other than the two things I mentioned) for the car getting a Silver Award. He explained and told me in detail where the car had received the deductions and the paint job was the main problem related to the missed points. According to Mauro's math, we should all believe that a total of 12 points deducted will knock someone into a lower award bracket! He could have missed approximately 115 points and STILL received a Gold Award but the cause for the Silver was "a big hit on the glass the car did not get any points...." Give me a break!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/20/10 12:49 AM

Quote:

Now thanks to your reply....

I hope you never become a Circuit Court or Federal Judge Alan! Your ability to understand/realize the start (or instigation) of a potential, volatile situation is simply amazing. Like you said, it happened years ago! Who brought the subject matter back up? Your comment might be better directed towards someone else.
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/20/10 01:37 AM

Quote:

I'm looking into getting the body restored on my Charger, and am going back & forth between a few shops. The first, being the most expensive, Muscle Car Restorations, then Hodge Restorations, and lastly, Russel Jacobs in N.Y.
I'm looking for a high quality body restoration where I don't have to worry about corners being cut, and the work holding out for years to come.
I have heard & seen good things about all of them, but just looking for first hand experience, good or bad.

I'd give Alan Gallant a shot. He does nice work, is a stand up guy and works at a really good pace. He farms out the sheetmetal but has a top shelf guy.
I don't think you will be disappointed. As an added bonus he would be close-by.

Dave
Posted By: cloneguy

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/20/10 01:53 AM

From what I've seen Alan does do a great job and he's been a big help to us.

In a perfect world, he would live down here.

We could do his metal and paint and he could do the rest.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Experiences with Hodge Restorations or RJ Cars - 05/20/10 12:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Guys

Yes, Troys ugly Green Cuda would indeed make a nice match to this one

I didn't want to mention the ugly green

logan426
© 2024 Moparts Forums