Moparts

Challenger t/a blower motor

Posted By: Moparnut

Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/22/07 12:37 AM

I am restoring a challenger t/a heater box. I want to know the correct finish for the blower motor.
Have seen some that were gloss black and some natural finish.
What is correct for a challenger t/a?

thanks
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/22/07 12:48 AM

clear zinc
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/22/07 02:59 AM

Attached picture 3313887-EngineBay73.JPG
Posted By: 70RT

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/22/07 07:49 PM

Apparently clear zink from the assembly line and a mix of both over the counter. Mine was black paint and had a 120 code date. Car's SBD was A13 so I assume it must have been a warranty replacement. Also, Ehrenburg remembers the MOPAR counter replacements being black paint.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/22/07 08:12 PM

I've seen both in over the counter replacements. Although most nos replacements were black.
But I've never seen an oe/original anything but clear zinc
Posted By: 70RT

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/22/07 08:27 PM

Agreed, Bill. That's what I was trying to say above.
Posted By: Moparnut

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/23/07 03:08 AM

Clear zinc it will be. Thank you to all.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/23/07 01:11 PM

Does this apply only to Challengers or is it accross all body lines and years.
Posted By: Troy

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/23/07 03:35 PM

Being these are clear zinc and that there riveted together with a funky rivet....How does one take it apart to plate it?
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/23/07 05:55 PM

Like this:

Posted By: Troy

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/23/07 07:15 PM

Good Answer!! I have never had one of those apart before. When I looked at it I thought the pan heads on the ends were rivets, not screws.

Thanks for the picture.

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 02/23/07 08:20 PM

Troy,
you still have 6 rivets that hold the 2 bushings.
Jules
Posted By: mitandt

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 07/25/09 04:34 PM

My son and I are restoring a 1970 Dodge Challenger, 318 V8, without AC. We are rebuilding the heater box and even though the motor was working before we took the box out, it was recommended to us that we replace the motor while the box was out. This is the first time I've found a picture of the motor we are trying to replace and have been totally unsuccessful in finding the correct over the counter replacement part after 3 months of searching (must be doing something wrong for surely it can't be this hard). The original motor shaft has no side play and what appears to be normal end play. We are beginning to wonder if we should simply carefully disassemble the original motor (it is, in fact, zinc), clean and lube the bushings and put it back in. So here are my questions:

1. Should we refurbish the old motor or get a new one?

2. If refurbish, what is the procedure, lubricant, etc.?

3. If getting a new one, what is the right manufacturer, part number and source?

Thanks.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 07/25/09 05:36 PM

Quote:

My son and I are restoring a 1970 Dodge Challenger, 318 V8, without AC. We are rebuilding the heater box and even though the motor was working before we took the box out, it was recommended to us that we replace the motor while the box was out. This is the first time I've found a picture of the motor we are trying to replace and have been totally unsuccessful in finding the correct over the counter replacement part after 3 months of searching (must be doing something wrong for surely it can't be this hard). The original motor shaft has no side play and what appears to be normal end play. We are beginning to wonder if we should simply carefully disassemble the original motor (it is, in fact, zinc), clean and lube the bushings and put it back in. So here are my questions:

1. Should we refurbish the old motor or get a new one?

2. If refurbish, what is the procedure, lubricant, etc.?

3. If getting a new one, what is the right manufacturer, part number and source?

Thanks.

Test it with a 12v. Lube it and go.

Don't take the can off. Just shoot some good quality lube in there. You don't need a new one. And in California the heater and defrost blower doesn't get used that much as to compared back east. I bet you hardly use it when you finish the car. Don't over think it and go too crazy on a budget type build.

The guys above are mainly disassembling them to replate them for high level concours restorations. You can look for some light fine metallic silver spray paint that mimics the cad at the store.
Posted By: mitandt

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 07/25/09 08:28 PM

Thanks--sounds like good advice. When you say shoot some good quality lube in, are you talking about lithium grease or oil? Also, are you just talking about the shaft end (since the other end is inside the can? Thanks again.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 07/25/09 08:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks--sounds like good advice. When you say shoot some good quality lube in, are you talking about lithium grease or oil? Also, are you just talking about the shaft end (since the other end is inside the can? Thanks again.

Some kind of oil that can get in there and stay. I was thinking white lithium spray but it won't get in there. I like Justice Brothers JB80 of course. Just don't use WD40.

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 07/26/09 02:17 PM

The best way is ALWAYS to take things apart. There will be 35 plus years of whatever inside especially brush dust.
If you take it apart you will be able to properly clean and lube.
Jules

Attached picture 5376428-heaterbox(125).jpg
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 07/28/09 11:05 PM

Were the Air conditioning blower motors clear zinc also?

Tav
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 07/28/09 11:55 PM

NOS non AC heater blower motors.

Attached picture 5382160-blowermtr.JPG
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Challenger t/a blower motor - 07/28/09 11:59 PM

This is the original motor from a 70 Cuda.

Attached picture 5382167-HeaterMotorTest.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums