Moparts

NOS Exhaust need some sugestions

Posted By: sunroof446

NOS Exhaust need some sugestions - 03/15/10 12:08 PM

I have a nos H-pipe & tail pipes for my charger. Any suggestions on how to keep them from rusting. I was thinking about getting them ceramic coated or maybe a dull zinc coating. My car is somewhat over restored but I am trying to keep it as original looking as possible.

Attached picture 5866177-chargerassembly11-5-09004.JPG
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: NOS Exhaust need some sugestions - 03/15/10 05:43 PM

I think VHT makes a clear 1500 degeee heat paint? My H pipe is original but I had to blast it so I painted mine with an VHT aluminum heat paint and did not coat the tail pipes at all. If I had NOS pipes, I might leave them natural and uncoated. You may get minir surface rust over time but they will look OE. If you don't want any rust at all, then you need to paint them...and they will still get stains on them from oil and water and some rust marks.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: NOS Exhaust need some sugestions - 03/15/10 05:55 PM

If you truely have an NOS H pipe & over axle pipes I would sell it to someone doing a Concours type resto & buy a Aluminized system from Accurate... Come out with a few $$ extra to spend on the rest of the car & get a system that will hold up better on a car that actually might get driven...
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: NOS Exhaust need some sugestions - 03/15/10 09:33 PM

PLEASE don't coat an NOS front pipe!
The tailpipes should already be galvanized.
I'll buy you a repo set & give you money to boot. Really it would be a shame cause the repo stuff fits pretty good and is aluminized. If your set on keeping your NOS headpipes, just wipe them down with a thin coating of WD40 and repeat every couple of months.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: NOS Exhaust need some sugestions - 03/15/10 09:36 PM

No problem. Just do what I do(I have an original exhaust on my 71 Challenger). NEVER start the engine.

MB
Posted By: GTXX

Re: NOS Exhaust need some sugestions - 03/15/10 09:38 PM

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0808_tri_y_headers/index.html
Posted By: HPMike

Re: NOS Exhaust need some sugestions - 03/15/10 09:41 PM

Quote:

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0808_tri_y_headers/index.html

That's pretty slick! No pun intended!!
Posted By: sunroof446

Re: NOS Exhaust need some sugestions - 03/15/10 10:42 PM

I do not want repro on my car. I just did a cuda with repro from accurate. In my opinon that stuff is not that nice. I was not very happy with it. I have a 440 six pack sunroof charger that is worthy of a nos system. I have as much nos on my car as most oem cars includung bumpers, guards, grille, headlight doors, all emblems, sidemarkers,parking lights,date coded brake hoses tic toc, faceplates, etc... including nos f60-15 polyglases that I will be putting to use. I just want to keep the pipes looking good.

Attached picture 5867260-1473788_600.jpg
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: NOS Exhaust need some sugestions - 03/15/10 10:48 PM

I respect that, and your car is stunning-give me a call sometime, well talk about some stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums