Moparts

A12 Identification

Posted By: RallyeMike

A12 Identification - 03/13/10 05:40 PM

I have found what is 99% chance an A12 Bee derelict with no fenders, grill, or drive train. Not sure if the body tag is present. The car is tucked away in a small town and friends of mine remember it new as an A12 from the 70's.

The property owner where it sits says he thinks the non-resident owner will sell it now, so I'm going to pursue it. What are 4 or 5 quick things to look at to tell positively it is an A12 car?

I appreciate the help !
Posted By: Scatransit

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 05:52 PM

A few:
5th digit an "M"
DANA rear
2 extra 1/2 leaves on right side
spacers (about 1/8 inch thick) under lower control arm bumpers
unique engine harness with the idle solenoid wire going to passenger side
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 06:04 PM

No hood hinges - four hood pins instead.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 06:04 PM

All A12's have an oval filler hole

Attached picture 5862492-A12Bee083(Small).jpg
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 08:27 PM

Make sure the 5th digit in the VIN# is an "M" which is the 440+6 engine. Write down the entire VIN# for my A12 database.
I agree with everyone above except for the leaf springs. I have Broadcast sheet documentation on many of the early build A12 cars where they were delivered with the standard Rallye suspension, 5 leafs per side. 99% of them have the Hemi suspension with 7 leafs on the passenger side though.

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 09:14 PM

Quote:

...I agree with everyone above except for the leaf springs. I have Broadcast sheet documentation on many of the early build A12 cars where they were delivered with the standard Rallye suspension, 5 leafs per side. 99% of them have the Hemi suspension with 7 leafs on the passenger side though...

I'm not sure how complete this car is, and I was speaking in general terms in an effort to help give him things to look for. We all know there are lots of things that could be argued with respect to authentication of these cars (any MOPAR really). Another example would be an "H" instead of "M" etc.

Also it should have the larger 26" radiator opening in the core support...As well as no provisions in the firewall for A/C...

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 09:28 PM

There is no drive train including the axle, so the leaf sprigs would be in question anyhow. Hood hinges can be removed, pins can be added, etc. All good stuff, but things like the solenoid wire .... Great stuff!

It's been awhile since I have been into B-bodies of this era. Is the oval gas filler hole a gag or is this really true? Why would they do that only on A12 cars?

Any more obscure items to look for?
Posted By: flypaper

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 09:55 PM

Quote:

Is the oval gas filler hole a gag or is this really true? Why would they do that only on A12 cars?

they did it on all cars built after jan of 69
a12 cars were built after jan of 69

alot of the things that are listed here are most likely long gone on a gutted out a12 car.

what you should look for is the
obvious m in the vin number on the dash vin tag
does it have a fender tag ???
if yes, does it match the vin tag on the dash??
after looking for or at the fender tag,
then look at the the front rad support and see if
the last 6 digits of the vin with a 9a before it is stamped in to it.
then you should go to the driver side trunk gutter and under
the trunk lid seal should be those same numbers stamped in it as on the rad support.
if those numbers match up
you have a a12 car

good luck

ps
bring back pics and numbers please
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 10:17 PM

26 inch radiator opening,all were 3 speed wipers

I think all A12 cars are 4 wheel drum brakes??

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 11:25 PM

Quote:

then look at the the front rad support and see if the last 6 digits of the vin with a 9a before it is stamped in to it.
then you should go to the driver side trunk gutter and under
the trunk lid seal should be those same numbers stamped in it as on the rad support.
if those numbers match up
you have a a12 car

Not to split hairs but to give accurate information, the numbers on the radiator support and trunk lip will actually be stamped A9 XXXXXX.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 11:32 PM

Quote:

A few:
5th digit an "M"
DANA rear

I think your suggestion about the 1/8" spacers under the rubber bumpers on the lower control arms is the best suggestion yet for a car that may be missing eveery other form of identification. It's unlikely anybody would have removed the bumpers and spacer plates! It should have holes in the front for the original hood pins even if someone added a hood with hinges at a later date. If there are hinges, you could remove them to check out the paint behind them to see how it's painted in that area?
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: A12 Identification - 03/13/10 11:33 PM

A good way to tell is the owner will have bad attitude and tell you "Do you know what this is?"
Hope this helps!

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 12:49 AM

Ok. I have my list. Should be enough clues if the fender tag happens to be missing. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 01:19 AM

goodluck!

Attached picture 5863221-65HEMIBELVEDERE.63MAXWEDGESAVOY.A12ROADRUNNER003.JPG
Posted By: 69RTSE

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 02:40 AM

Quote:

A good way to tell is the owner will have bad attitude and tell you "Do you know what this is?"
Hope this helps!

Seriously though, good luck. I hope everything works out for you. Hopefully we'll see some pictures soon....
Posted By: A12

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 03:35 AM

of all of the things mentioned the 3-speed wipers are most likely going to be there and posibly the 26" radiator opening. The fuel and return line, the oval filler neck hole, head rest, and for sure only a heater firewall, NO A/C firewall! If it has original fenders then the 383 callout emblem holes were never drilled, and the fender hood pad should have the hole enlarged for the front hood pins. No 3-speed wipers, 26" radiator or oval filler neck hole you better look closer IMO.....oh, and an A/C firewall and the claim it's an A12 then
Posted By: sixbbl69

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 12:50 PM

k- frame
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 03:18 PM

Quote:

k- frame

Why the k frame, whats diff?

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 03:19 PM

It should have a title with an M in the VIN and a matching VIN. Unless you think it's a fake title and VIN, there's really no question. If it has an H in the VIN, it's kind of worthless as a possible A12 unless you have the original fender tag or some other documentation or proof that it was sold as an A12.
Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 03:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A few:
5th digit an "M"
DANA rear

I think your suggestion about the 1/8" spacers under the rubber bumpers on the lower control arms is the best suggestion yet for a car that may be missing eveery other form of identification. It's unlikely anybody would have removed the bumpers and spacer plates! It should have holes in the front for the original hood pins even if someone added a hood with hinges at a later date. If there are hinges, you could remove them to check out the paint behind them to see how it's painted in that area?

Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 04:10 PM

A 5/16" and 1/4" fuel lines would be a dead ringer for an A12-I bet those haven't been removed.

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 05:48 PM

A 383 car would never have the 1/4" return line. Again, if it's an H car without the fender tag or broadcast sheet, I would not pay A12 money for it unless there is very good documentation! I don't blame you for checking it out. They are cool cars!

Attached picture 5864478-Hood3(Medium).jpg

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 11:38 PM

I've added the return fuel line and have a long list now. Thanks guys.

I'm not familiar with the extra solenoid wire never having had a 6-pack car. What color is it and what type of end connector does it have?
Posted By: sixbbl69

Re: A12 Identification - 03/14/10 11:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

k- frame

Why the k frame, whats diff?

69 top 70 bottom.

Re: A12 Identification - 03/15/10 12:01 AM

I'm fairly certain it is blue...attached
is a factory pic from the brouchure. It looks black in the photo, but it is blue. It branches off the ballast resitor input wire.

Attached picture 5865260-69promobee4.jpg

Re: A12 Identification - 03/15/10 12:05 AM

Another...a survivor pic...

Attached File
5865271-a12detail4.bmp  (179 downloads)
Posted By: flypaper

Re: A12 Identification - 03/15/10 01:10 AM

Quote:

It should have a title with an M in the VIN and a matching VIN. Unless you think it's a fake title and VIN, there's really no question.

its not hard to swap out a dash with the vin tag still attached to a car it doesn't belong to...
you need to verify the body stampings matching them
to the vin to be sure what the car body is and even that isn't
fool proof...

Re: A12 Identification - 03/15/10 01:23 AM

Quote:

no fenders, grill, or drive train.

Really? Chrysler threw in a free grill with them?! That's got to be a rare piece to have today....

Charcoal or gas?

Re: A12 Identification - 03/15/10 02:17 AM

While all of the things above are valid indicators of a true A12 car you have to remember it is 40 plus years old and a lot can happen to a car in that time.
The key thing is the M engine code in the VIN. Don't confuse it withe the 2 digit of the VIN as any 1969 RR or Bee will have an M there. It is the 5th digit.
As said above check the hidden VIN numbers to match the VIN plate and you are very likely assured it is real. However in 40 years it could have been front clipped, rear clipped or both and those numbers may not be there or if used parts were used it will have the VIN fron that donor car. Not to mention that there were some cars that the hidden numbers were mistakenly missed when but that was very rare.
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: A12 Identification - 03/15/10 01:13 PM

Hey, if all else fails just say it is one of the rare H code A12 cars they made

Re: A12 Identification - 03/15/10 02:07 PM

Quote:

Hey if all else fails just say it is one of the rare H code A12 cars the made

I was going to bring that up but figured it would confuse the situation since there are only two known to exist, but they are A12 Road Runners, not Bees.

Re: A12 Identification - 03/16/10 02:55 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been through many a Mopar, just never an A12 car. This car has been parked for 30 years and I have a lot of confidence in the Mopar people who remember it as an original A12 back in the 70s and early 80's. I really don't expect any shenanigans since it has been sitting so long. I have more than enough information here mixed with my general Mopar knowledge to ID the car now.

Thanks a BUNCH for the solenoid wire pic

Re: A12 Identification - 03/16/10 07:06 PM

No problem...make sure you post some pics!
Posted By: Alaska_A12

Re: A12 Identification - 03/16/10 10:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been through many a Mopar, just never an A12 car. This car has been parked for 30 years and I have a lot of confidence in the Mopar people who remember it as an original A12 back in the 70s and early 80's. I really don't expect any shenanigans since it has been sitting so long. I have more than enough information here mixed with my general Mopar knowledge to ID the car now.

Give me the address!! I'll go look at it and let you know if it's worth it.

Re: A12 Identification - 03/16/10 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jim I know you would have sent him a PM but his mailbox was FULL

MikeR
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: A12 Identification - 03/16/10 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MikeR

How would you know, Mike?

Re: A12 Identification - 03/16/10 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MikeR

How would you know, Mike?

Danny, not our first "I think I may have found a [add rare Mopar here] how can I tell" thread now is it? (add sound of engine of a black Suburban starting and reving here too)
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: A12 Identification - 03/17/10 01:06 AM

Suspense is killing me!!!>>>>>

Re: A12 Identification - 03/17/10 02:31 AM

One no one has mentioned:

Lots of tire rubber in the rear wheel wells!
Posted By: JS29

Re: A12 Identification - 03/17/10 03:28 PM

Quote:

Where is the update???

Re: A12 Identification - 03/17/10 08:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Where is the update???

OK....I'm at Sea-Tac airport. I rented a Black Suburban, just waiting for Mike to get here. Got the fiberglass hood echo locator warmed up.

More to follow......

Re: A12 Identification - 03/18/10 07:29 PM

tick, tock!! Tick, Tock......

Re: A12 Identification - 03/21/10 02:09 AM

So what's the word?
Posted By: 6PACMAC

Re: A12 Identification - 03/23/10 01:16 AM

Ya, is it or

Re: A12 Identification - 03/23/10 03:22 PM

Wish I had a dollar for everytime a thread like this is started on the internet, then you never hear from the Original Poster again.
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: A12 Identification - 03/23/10 03:41 PM

Quote:

Wish I had a dollar for everytime a thread like this is started on the internet, then you never hear from the Original Poster again.

Posted By: P1970HeMICuDA

Re: A12 Identification - 03/24/10 12:54 AM

Quote:

"things just didn't quite work out"

Re: A12 Identification - 03/24/10 01:58 AM

I won't be in the country where the car is located until May or June. This isnt the first time I have tried to get this car - I just have not been able to strike a deal I can afford or am willing to pay. Although I have faith in the people who claim the car is a real A12, this will be the first time I have verified it. I'm prepared to step up my offer this year so I need to be 100% sure of the cars build.

I very much appreciate the helpful hints that everyone has given me, and I hope to eventually follow up.

Re: A12 Identification - 03/24/10 02:12 AM

Hope this one works out for you RallyeMike.
Sometimes its difficult to get buyer and seller on the same page.

Re: A12 Identification - 03/26/10 09:43 PM

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/1662014292.html

Hmmm, may have to go check out this car with my newfound knowledge!

Re: A12 Identification - 03/26/10 10:00 PM

Quote:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/1662014292.html

Hmmm, may have to go check out this car with my newfound knowledge!

Yikes! Scramble the Wichita Suburbans/////////////

MikeR
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: A12 Identification - 03/27/10 01:45 AM

Ouch!
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: A12 Identification - 03/27/10 07:17 AM

Go Get 'Em!
© 2024 Moparts Forums