Moparts

Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer?

Posted By: basik

Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/02/10 06:25 PM

What do you guys do to the drip rail before paint - do you fill it with any seam sealer? Did the factory seam seal there?
Posted By: ns1aar

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/02/10 06:28 PM

Mine have all had sealer in them
Posted By: Birdturd

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 12:18 AM

what do you do with the "stuff" thats in the rail now, whats the easiest way to remove it?

Once its removed what do you put back on the rail?

Josh
Posted By: foz

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 12:33 AM

A wire wheel on a air tool works but is messy as hell!

Some restores leave it in. You can put it back too!
Posted By: sawdust

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 12:53 AM

Quote:

what do you do with the "stuff" thats in the rail now, whats the easiest way to remove it?

Once its removed what do you put back on the rail?

Josh

Low heat from propane torch and small scraper is what we use. Replace with a high quality seam sealer such as 3M (comes in standard caulk tubes)or what ever your local body shop supply man recommends. The cheaper stuff will shrink/crack a lot quicker than the original material did.
Posted By: basik

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 02:11 AM

Sometimes when I seam seal (and I do use 3M sealer) I worry about the sealer eventually cracking and then leaving a "trap" for water to stay in. There are some parts of my car where the sealer has cracked already and I haven't even driven the car yet.
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 02:33 AM

I am working on this as we speak what i am doing is fixing a car that some one else painted and the sealer has cracked and looks terrible .I want to fix with out painting the whole roof over .
step one tape roof off in the jamb twice.
step two using a small file scrape out old stuff to the metal carfully.
step three sand with 180 on homemade paint stick the thick 5 gal bucket type cut down.
step four treat with por-15 metal ready
step five paint with por -15 paint small brush works well .
step six retape and seam seal with hytec sealer from eastwood.
step seven smooth with solvent dipped paint stick
step eight retape & paint.(use no primer on seam sealer that is why it cracks prematurely)
step nine clear coat
step ten buff roof close to jamb to blend in .
this is what i am doing to fix a mistake .hope this helps with your project.....CJ
ps step eleven
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 02:36 AM

Quote:

I am working on this as we speak what i am doing is fixing a car that some one else painted and the sealer has cracked and looks terrible .I want to fix with out painting the whole roof over .
step one tape roof off in the jamb twice.
step two using a small file scrape out old stuff to the metal carfully.
step three sand with 180 on homemade paint stick the thick 5 gal bucket type cut down.
step four treat with por-15 metal ready
step five paint with por -15 paint small brush works well .
step six retape and seam seal with hytec sealer from eastwood.
step seven smooth with solvent dipped paint stick
step eight retape & paint.(use no primer on seam sealer that is why it cracks prematurely)
step nine clear coat
step ten buff roof close to jamb to blend in .
this is what i am doing to fix a mistake .hope this helps with your project.....CJ
ps step eleven

I guess I know why mine didn't come out so nice.. I went straight to step eleven..Jk
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 06:15 AM

Attached picture 5842294-dsf.jpg
Posted By: WannaRunner

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 07:49 AM

Quote:

Nope! no cracks on that roof. lol.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 03:02 PM

cjs69mope, thanks for that!

However, I do have a question.
I've got an A-100 that has good sealer in the drip rails, but has issues elsewhere. The sealer around the roof to the rear door openings and on a body seam where there was sealer but it has been cut out will have to be redone. Both of these areas will be difficult to keep primer away from during repainting.
I plan on soda blasting the entire body, then building up through the primer, filler and sealer stages before paint. What should I do to the fresh sealer areas to avoid shrinkage?
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 09:06 PM

What i would do is just try and make sure that you sand the drip rails good with 180 or 220 before you prime the car and just seam seal the drip rails last before you paint the hytec sealer should not shrink or harden according to the directions it remains flexible and is paintable in 30-60 min .
just in the drip rails is where i would try and due this. fyi also 3m makes a two part epoxy base self level sealer made for roof ditches . just try and use a good product is what i am saying some seam seal dries hard that is going to crack in my opinion .you do not want that .....cj
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 09:20 PM

Fusor Seam Sealer...

http://www.baremetalseamsealer.com/?gclid=COm7_uTAnaACFQaiagodFns87A
Posted By: ramcharger1964

Re: Is the drip rail supposed to have seam sealer? - 03/03/10 11:13 PM

I second the motion on Fusor sealer. My experience with 3M seam sealer was not good. After 8 years my Fusor seams look brand new.
© 2024 Moparts Forums