Moparts

Hemi Ignition Coil

Posted By: mopar4ya

Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/17/10 12:15 AM

Does anyone have a real NOS or original ignition coil they could post a picture of. I checked into having a reproduction coil silk screened today, and was told he couldn't do it? I was told I had to have an original that is shorter and fatter than other coils.

Thanks
Dan.
Posted By: BJohnson

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/17/10 06:23 AM

Original '70 coil.

Attached picture 5809370-HemiRadioCond1.jpg

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/17/10 06:25 AM

Reproduction coil.

Attached picture 5809376-FrontBack.JPG

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/17/10 11:22 AM

So, are the reproduction coils different in height and diameter than an original? Is it legal for someone to silk screen a reproduction?

Thanks
Dan.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/17/10 02:08 PM

Myself and Beepbeep talked with Tom at M+H a few years ago on this very subject.
There were at least 2 different venders suppling coils to Mopar back in the day.

Essix coils were typically green lettered and will have the 'made in usa ' printed on . Then there was the yellow lettered coil, that will have the 'made in usa ' cast into the top plastic hat of the coil near the tower (sorry,I can't remember who the vender was of the top of my head)
Yellow lettered coils 'as a general rule' were approx 1965 and earlier, ALTHOUGH some newer cars up until at least 1970 have been found with yellow lettered coils.

Essix also used at least 3 or 4 different can to casing crimp styles.

So variations in can size is a possibility.
So, it may very well be possibile to have a differnet can on various models thru the years.

Also, Tom has an internal enginering sheet to specify the change in lettering style on the can. approx Nov 1967 the CH412 was to be deleted from the case lettering, all coils prior to this date should have it, and if you allow approx 30-60 days to enter production approx anything after Jan 1968 will not have it.

ps- I have several used originals on hand as well as the repops, I'll do a comparison on can dimensions this weekend to compare and report back.
I also have a few NOS coils on hand but they're all 1972 date thus have the square box/mopar flag on them so I don't know if the can design will be relevant

WITH the CH412

Without

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/17/10 03:32 PM

Quote:

So, are the reproduction coils different in height and diameter than an original? Is it legal for someone to silk screen a reproduction?

Thanks
Dan.

Why would you want to go through all the expense of silk screening a coil when an exact reproduction is available? The Essex reproduction coils are identical to the originals in size lettering etc.. as they were reproduced from the original factory drawings. They also produce a little more voltage than the originals. They are also a licensed Chrysler product.

Attached picture 5809712-Page15crop.jpg
Posted By: mopar mike

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/17/10 03:48 PM

who has them?? thanks

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/17/10 03:53 PM

Quote:

who has them?? thanks

Get a hold of Bill. They are date coded also, so make sure you specify your SPD.

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/18/10 01:08 AM

Quote:

Myself and Beepbeep talked with Tom at M+H a few years ago on this very subject.
There were at least 2 different venders suppling coils to Mopar back in the day.

Essix coils were typically green lettered and will have the 'made in usa ' printed on . Then there was the yellow lettered coil, that will have the 'made in usa ' cast into the top plastic hat of the coil near the tower (sorry,I can't remember who the vender was of the top of my head)
Yellow lettered coils 'as a general rule' were approx 1965 and earlier, ALTHOUGH some newer cars up until at least 1970 have been found with yellow lettered coils.

Essix also used at least 3 or 4 different can to casing crimp styles.

So variations in can size is a possibility.
So, it may very well be possibile to have a differnet can on various models thru the years.

Also, Tom has an internal enginering sheet to specify the change in lettering style on the can. approx Nov 1967 the CH412 was to be deleted from the case lettering, all coils prior to this date should have it, and if you allow approx 30-60 days to enter production approx anything after Jan 1968 will not have it.

ps- I have several used originals on hand as well as the repops, I'll do a comparison on can dimensions this weekend to compare and report back.
I also have a few NOS coils on hand but they're all 1972 date thus have the square box/mopar flag on them so I don't know if the can design will be relevant

WITH the CH412

Without

Bill, thanks for taking the time getting me the info. I had bought a date coded coil from M&H for my engine. I have it mounted on my engine but not happy with the way it looks. When I was getting things adjusted and moved the coil a couple of times, the lettering was rubbing off, even though it was loose in the bracket. Seems if you look at the lettering wrong it rubs off. Not complaining, just the way it is.
SO,since I am running a Pertronics electronic ignition and I had bought their Blaster coil, I thought I would have it silk screened and use it. When I called PCG, I was told I had to have an NOS or original to have it done. Dave told me it had to be the shorter/fatter coil to be correct. I thought I have read of other people running a blaster coil that had been silk screened to look like an original.
I'm just confused. First I didn't know the multiple carb engines used a different coil, and second that I couldn't get a aftermarket unit done.

Thanks
Dan.

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/18/10 06:16 AM

Quote:

Bill, thanks for taking the time getting me the info. I had bought a date coded coil from M&H for my engine. I have it mounted on my engine but not happy with the way it looks. When I was getting things adjusted and moved the coil a couple of times, the lettering was rubbing off, even though it was loose in the bracket. Seems if you look at the lettering wrong it rubs off. Not complaining, just the way it is.

No, that should not be the "way it is". Tom needs to be contacted and made aware of the problem as a lot of time and thought was put into the production of the coils. A problem cannot be fixed if no one speaks up that it is a problem.
Posted By: 6T9Hemi

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/18/10 04:10 PM

I picked up a green printed coil from Frank B. and had about half the numbers rubbed off when moving it in the bracket. Don't know where he gets his coils but the numbers and lettering rubs off very easy.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/18/10 11:52 PM

Quote:

I picked up a green printed coil from Frank B. and had about half the numbers rubbed off when moving it in the bracket. Don't know where he gets his coils but the numbers and lettering rubs off very easy.

was a total POS, letters fell off. as soon as i put it in the bracket. sent it to PCG, to redo.

Attached picture 5815219-HEMIREUNION69HEMIRR65DODGECORONET1261.JPG

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/19/10 01:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

was a total POS, letters fell off. as soon as i put it in the bracket. sent it to PCG, to redo.

That's why I started this thread. I was wanting to have a pertronics unit done, or send the reproduction and have done since my numbers and lettering is coming off. Dave at PCG said I had to have an original for them to do it. Guess I should have asked if they would do a reproduction, before I assumed they wouldn't.
I don't know Tom at M&H, just glad someone picked up the ball and offered a reproduction coil. Maybe someone that deals with them could talk with them and come up with a better way to get the lettering to stick.

Thanks!
Dan.

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/20/10 05:32 PM

Dave Stuart (Chrysler) and I have been talking about something that might go over pretty well with the restoration enthusiast. What would you guys think about a dry transfer (similar to our VIN plate overlay) that is patterned from original artwork, has the same green color, looks completely original when applied and is very durable? It would allow you to restore these coils yourself! If there is enough interest I can start the manufacturing process after hearing some feedback.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/20/10 08:07 PM

Dave,
That sounds like an excellent solution for a common problem. I would buy a couple.

I am suprised that Dave at PCG doesn't require a copy of your Broadcast sheet, picture of your fender tag and VIN tag before he offers to do your coil.
Posted By: 6T9Hemi

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/20/10 08:08 PM

I would be in for a couple.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/20/10 08:15 PM

Dave,
I know you offer the voltage regulator stamping service, have you considered offering a transfer?

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/20/10 08:18 PM

Quote:

Dave,
That sounds like an excellent solution for common problem. I would buy a couple.

I am suprised that Dave at PCG doesn't require a copy of your Broadcast sheet, picture of your fender tag and VIN tag before he offers to do your coil.

SNOOPY, i know what your talking about PCG wanting all that documentation,but i want everyone to know without the documentation a restoration shop gave dave at PCG on my 69 tx9 hemi roadrunner, i would never had gotten my car and fender tag and dash vin back from this restoration shop out of O'Fallon Illinois.
Dave was able to retrieve my documentation to hand to the judge in court to win a decision to get my car back from this thief.
it worked out for me and i am so grateful that Dave at PCG had my documentation.

Attached picture 5819030-HEMIREUNION69HEMIRR65DODGECORONET1258.JPG

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/20/10 11:29 PM

Quote:

Dave Stuart (Chrysler) and I have been talking about something that might go over pretty well with the restoration enthusiast. What would you guys think about a dry transfer (similar to our VIN plate overlay) that is patterned from original artwork, has the same green color, looks completely original when applied and is very durable? It would allow you to restore these coils yourself! If there is enough interest I can start the manufacturing process after hearing some feedback.

If they look as nice as the M&H when new with ALL lettering intact, YES! I would buy one today.

Thanks
Dan.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/21/10 05:50 AM

i would also buy one, kind of did my own on a MSD blaster II, not even close to the repo's but better than the MSD red coil at a glance.

Attached picture 5820188-68RR3834-speed(10).jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Hemi Ignition Coil - 02/21/10 07:34 AM

I'm just happy to see so many people finally looking into buying coils that are original appearing instead of all those thousands of "Year One" generic examples I see on everyone's cars with the bright white (and TOTALLY incorrect) stampings! I can't believe how many really nice and otherwise "correct" engine bays I've seen only to be spoiled with those eyesores! Such an obvious and easy part to get right, and being right up front and center on most engines too, it's not like they are easy to miss. I just don't get it?

Constantly advertised on ebay and elsewhere on the web as "Correct" for just about every 61-71 Mopar ever built.

Attached picture 5820270-MoparCoil.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums